Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Do you periodically replace your LP regulator as a safety precaution?
Nope, it it ain't broke or it don't leak, I leave it alone. 20 62.50%
Never thought about doing it. 10 31.25%
Never thought about doing it, but I think I'll start. 1 3.13%
I replace mine periodically whther it works or not. 2 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Life of LP Regulator?

I just read an article that says it's a good idea to replace your RV's LP regulator every 5 years, as a safety precaution. While this sounds like it may be good advice, it's the first time I've ever heard it suggested. I'd like to take a poll to see if folks routinely do this.

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2013, 11:47 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I have the LP gas system cleaned and inspected annually. I replace only what they suggest, so far havent needed to replace the regulator

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #3

After having 2 gum up and quit working at the worst possible time (don't they always?) We replace ours every 5 years. The residuals and additives in southern propane eventually gum up the very small orifice and needle valve. Results in a cold shower on a very cold morning in a cold motorhome and a cold wife that is not a happy camper.....

Cheap. Easy to replace and they do eventually gum up. They used to be rebuildable but now they are sealed and throw away.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #4

It might be smart to carry a spare. They always fail when it's not convenient, and sometimes it's hard to find one right away.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
After having 2 gum up and quit working at the worst possible time (don't they always?) We replace ours every 5 years. The residuals and additives in southern propane eventually gum up the very small orifice and needle valve. Results in a cold shower on a very cold morning in a cold motorhome and a cold wife that is not a happy camper.....

Cheap. Easy to replace and they do eventually gum up. They used to be rebuildable but now they are sealed and throw away.
Are you sure you're actually getting propane? There have been several reports and investigations into dealers substituting cheaper Butane for propane in warmer climates. Both work fine when the ambient temperatures are above the freezing point. However Butane remains a liquid at a much higher temperature than propane. Propane turns to a gas at -43.8*F. Butane doesn't turn into a gas until 31.1*F.

In low temperatures liquid butane is likely to foul a regulator.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #6

Since they are cheap and readily available, I would choose to wait until it showed signs of failure - usually poor flame quality on the stovetop.

Watch out for Chinese Junk - I've had two bad ones on propane grilles. The pressure was too high, and the burner got too hot.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #7
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
Are you sure you're actually getting propane? There have been several reports and investigations into dealers substituting cheaper Butane for propane in warmer climates. Both work fine when the ambient temperatures are above the freezing point. However Butane remains a liquid at a much higher temperature than propane. Propane turns to a gas at -43.8*F. Butane doesn't turn into a gas until 31.1*F.

In low temperatures liquid butane is likely to foul a regulator.
In a vapor system as in an RV with water heater, stove, furnace, etc. how would you suppose LIQUID butane would get into the regulator?
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
Watch out for Chinese Junk - I've had two bad ones on propane grilles. The pressure was too high, and the burner got too hot.
I went to my local RV dealer today for a spare. They had two types: one made in China and the other made in Taiwan.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
In a vapor system as in an RV with water heater, stove, furnace, etc. how would you suppose LIQUID butane would get into the regulator?
When we had some gas flow problems a few years ago I asked the same question. This is the way the service technician explained it to me.

In an exterme case if an LP tank is filled with 100% butane there wouldn't be any vaporization until the tank temperature reaches 32*F. However if the tank happens to be in a place where theres enough heat transfer possibly from sunlight (usually externally mounted tanks as on a travel trailer) or proximity to another heat producing source like a running generator to bring the tank temperature above 32* some of the butane will evaporate. As it passes through the colder externally mounted regulator it will condense back to a liquid and block the regulator

It's highly unlikely that an LP tank would filled with 100% butane. In most cases there is a mixture of LP and Propane. Since the propane is still in a gaseous state below 32*F it will flow through the regulator. As it flows it carries a small amount of liquid butane molecules with it in the form of a mist. The liquid butane moecules can't pass through the regulator and accumulate blocking the regulator.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
When we had some gas flow problems a few years ago I asked the same question. This is the way the service technician explained it to me.

In an exterme case if an LP tank is filled with 100% butane there wouldn't be any vaporization until the tank temperature reaches 32*F. However if the tank happens to be in a place where theres enough heat transfer possibly from sunlight (usually externally mounted tanks as on a travel trailer) or proximity to another heat producing source like a running generator to bring the tank temperature above 32* some of the butane will evaporate. As it passes through the colder externally mounted regulator it will condense back to a liquid and block the regulator

It's highly unlikely that an LP tank would filled with 100% butane. In most cases there is a mixture of LP and Propane. Since the propane is still in a gaseous state below 32*F it will flow through the regulator. As it flows it carries a small amount of liquid butane molecules with it in the form of a mist. The liquid butane moecules can't pass through the regulator and accumulate blocking the regulator.
As a licensed LPG tech, I agree with most of his statements with one exception. That is that liquid can not pass through the regulator. Oh, yes it can and when it vaporizes you will get one H--- of a flare up. During this time the reulator is unable to do its job of keeping gas pressure where it belongs. If you think that this has happened you should get the pressure of your system checked to make sure that having liquid on the output side of the regulator has not damaged it to the point that it can no longer keep the pressure where it belongs. But first you will have to draw down the tank so liquid can not get to the regulator.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

It is extremely unlikely that the LP tank will be 100% filled with anything unless there was a major screw-up. The tank should never be more than 80% full, leaving room for expansion as well as vaporization.

By the way, you are not being cheated when butane is mixed with propane - that's why it is called LPG (Liquified Petroleum Gas). Butane is often blended with propane in southern climates because it performs better as long as temps remain above 32 F. Butane has 12% more energy than Propane and burns a bit cleaner as well. Seldom will LPG be 100% propane - it is nearly always a blend of various gases.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
It is extremely unlikely that the LP tank will be 100% filled with anything unless there was a major screw-up. The tank should never be more than 80% full, leaving room for expansion as well as vaporization.

By the way, you are not being cheated when butane is mixed with propane - that's why it is called LPG (Liquified Petroleum Gas). Butane is often blended with propane in southern climates because it performs better as long as temps remain above 32 F. Butane has 12% more energy than Propane and burns a bit cleaner as well. Seldom will LPG be 100% propane - it is nearly always a blend of various gases.
As for the 100% number I was referring to 100% of the fuel in the tank, not 100% of the tanks capacity.

They may sell LPG in the southern climates. In the northern states it's clearly advertized as Propane. All of the tanks are clearly marked Propane not LPG. It's used around here a lot for home heating. People have a tendency to get upset when the furnace won't work in cold weather beacuse someone filled the tank with gas that won't vaporize in cold weather.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
^ dead straight, you won't find butane up here except in Bic lighters.

OP, I'm always wary about "suggested" replacement suggestions, baring known wear items like engine oil. Way too many seem to be a quick method of selling unneeded parts.

Truck camper's auto switch regulator is fine at 8 years old, did have to blow oil out of it, and the coach's regulator works fine at 14 years old. The one on our house was over 20 years old when we added a new system that required an upgrade to a better one.

I have no issues with needed maintenance but IMO those are "replace as fail" items.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #14
KIX

All propane COMMERCIALLY available in the US is provided to a standard called HD5. HD5 propane contains minimally 90% propane and no more than a MIXTURE of 10% ethane, butane, proplyene and ethyl mercaptan odorant. So, getting more than a small percentage of butane when buying commercial propane is extremely unlikely. Butane is commonly used in, for instance, Bic lighters.

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote