Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-08-2016, 09:55 PM   #1
Lifeline vs Interstate 8D AGM coach batteries

I have Lifeline 4D Coach Batteries in my Coach (2005 40' DP) that are the originals and are 11 years old. They are due for replacement! I have room for 8Ds and was thinking of replacing them with 8Ds (I can handle the extra weight). My dealer has a good deal with the local Interstate Battery people who make a similar battery (I am told). I have used Interstate Batteries in my cars and been happy with them. Does anyone have any relative quality comments regarding these two batteries? Are Lifelines better? 11 years is pretty impressive but the Interstates are about $200 cheaper. (Total). If they are comparable then I am happy to save the $200, if not the $200 (especially over 11 years) is not a big concern.

2005 Airstream 396 XL Land Yacht with Cat 330 C7
2016 Grand Design Solitude 369RL-R 5th Wheel
Wobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2016, 10:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Lifelines would be the standard that others are judged by. If you are looking at Interstate don't forget they are made by Johnson Controls who make the majority of the various so called brand names. So if it is money you want to save you could even use one of the other alternatives from JC and save even more. Else use one of the best with Lifeline.

2002 Monaco Diplomat 36PBD, Avalanche toad, Glastron MX175 , X5 BMW, Almost enough toys, 3 dogs. 1 longtime wife(48 yrs)
POPPASMURF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:27 PM   #3
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'd go with the LifeLines if you can swing the extra $$ although the Interstate U-2200's in our last rig went 10 years and they were flooded cell.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:58 PM   #4
I replaced my lifelines with same. I see guys getting 10 plus years out of some. I don't believe you could get that kind of potential longevity out of the other brands. Also you can get the copper blade battery post which make a clean contact.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:50 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As Poppasmurf says, Interstate is not a battery manufacturer, but that is true of many of the brands you see advertised or on the shelf. There are basically only 3 big battery manufacturers in the USA (Johnson Controls, Exide, and East Penn Manufacturing), plus a few smaller specialty makers such as Trojan, Concorde/Lifeline, and US Battery.

Interstate buys from both US Battery (their 6v GC2 batteries) and Johnson Controls, and perhaps select models from the others as well. That doesn't make them good or bad, though.

I'm a fan of Lifeline batteries, but if both brands are AGM, I see no reason not to save the $200 with the Interstate deal.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:12 AM   #6
I too like the Lifeline. If not going with them, just get the Costco/Sams AGM 8D, as they would probably be less then the Interstates. Also might check into Full River line, as they're getting good press in both RV'ing and Boating forums, as a lower cost alternative then the Lifeline's.

You might also check to see if L16's will fit for your application. We replaced two 8D's Deka's with four Lifeline L16's. (Taller battery, so headroom is usually the limiting factor here.) On year 3 now, and performing well.

Best to you,
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:40 AM   #7
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another fine battery you may want to research is the Rolls Surette model S12-290 AGM. It is an 8D 290 AH with a 2 year free replacement and 5 year pro-rated warranty. Rated at 260 AH @ 20 hr. rate.
Harold & Linda
2009 CT coachworks siena 35V
W22 Workhorse 8.1L. Explorer Sport toad,
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:14 AM   #8
Thanks for all the great answers. I will do a bit more research. The $200 isn't a big deal in the scheme of things, just thought there was no reason to spend it if they were equivalent!

Wobster is offline   Reply With Quote