Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2012, 10:30 PM   #29

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Here's an interesting Link to a News story
Yo u don't get under a MH to chsnge tires
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
Yo u don't get under a MH to chsnge tires
Sure would be awkward to suddenly have your bare wheel on the ground, though.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:06 PM   #31

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we had new tires/wheels installed the truck tire place tried to use their jack but the A arm was too low. Used the front onboard jacks to lift it for them. All the rams on our rig are rated for 12,000#'s. Have two rams in front and the front axle weight is only 13,600#'s so lots of spare capacity.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:34 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesimmons View Post
i know every place will be different,but when going to get new tires do they use thier own truck jacks or do they want to use the mh jacks to lift it to change tires?
Does your Bounder have PowerGear levelers? From the Powergear user manual...

WARNING
• DO NOT USE THE POWER GEAR HYDRAULIC LEVELING SYSTEM (OR
AIR SUSPENSION) TO SUPPORT VEHICLE WHILE UNDER COACH OR
CHANGING TIRES. THE HYDRAULIC LEVELING SYSTEM IS DESIGNED
AS A ‘LEVELING’ SYSTEM ONLY. TIRE REPAIRS SHOULD BE
PERFORMED BY A TRAINED PROFESSIONAL. ATTEMPTS TO CHANGE
TIRES WHILE SUPPORTING THE VEHICLE WITH THE HYDRAULIC
SYSTEM COULD RESULT IN DAMAGE TO THE MOTOR HOME AND/OR
CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY OR EVEN DEATH.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:46 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
All of this proves that you better know what you are doing or you could get hurt or killed.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:31 AM   #34

Tires. Every 7 years. I take no risks with my rig. I go to where it is done properly. An extra 100 bucks is chump change.
Just sayin..
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:20 AM   #35

I doubt that the two-jack method is really necessary--unless you are practicing for NASCAR or need access to both sets of tires at the same time????. If you are changing a tire, you only need an inch or so of clearance and since you are jacking the axle [not the frame], that corner of the MH is only going up by a small amount--and your air bags will adjust for that. IF you are concerned about twisting a frame or popping a window--FGS, dont ever cross a street drainage dip going into a Walmart entryway......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #36

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
I doubt that the two-jack method is really necessary--unless you are practicing for NASCAR or need access to both sets of tires at the same time????. If you are changing a tire, you only need an inch or so of clearance and since you are jacking the axle [not the frame], that corner of the MH is only going up by a small amount--and your air bags will adjust for that. IF you are concerned about twisting a frame or popping a window--FGS, dont ever cross a street drainage dip going into a Walmart entryway......
Forget the WalMart Old Scout. What about the gas station.The road crowns one way and the station the other. Have you never heard the creaking when leaving or entering a gas station? I saw a 35+ gas Winny stuck in the road when the hitch grounded on the road crown as he was pulling into a gas station. Coaches were designed to flex.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:15 AM   #37

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Can't remember the original question, but the answers went everywhere.

First, will your leveling system lift the weight of your MH with some capacity left over. If not do not lift the MH off the ground with the system.

Second do not forget that lifting the rear axle off the ground with a MH parking brake system that does anything but lock up the rear drums or discs will leave you free to roll. (If you do this it will wait to roll until it has both duals off the rear so it can make it all the way to the ground.)

Second you or a tire shop employee should not be under or next to a MH with the wheels off unless the coach is sitting on jack stands. (If your standing next to it and it falls and while doing so it shifts towards you, you are about to be hit with a 10 ton club.) Picture a fly and a rolled up newspaper. Your the fly.

Yes I carry four 6 ton jack stands, along with several wooden blocks to put under the MH jacks.

If a tire man comes at my MH with a single jack the job just went to another shop. If a tire man tries to jack up my MH using the differential then the job just went to another shop. and the tire shop owner will get the alignment bill to make sure that the rear axle is not bent. Lazy people are not cause to damage my MH!

If the diferential was designed to carry the weight of the MH then the spring pad would be on top of the diferential.

Granted, it is hard to find professionals to do tire work but if you find a professional shop they will give you an education if you will just watch and think about what they do.

I do not drive a med. duty delivery truck, I drive a MH built on a med. duty delivery truck frame.

I have a 38 foot DP with air brakes. It only leaves the ground one side at a time. Front and rear on the same side and then move to the other side. Only one person gets close to it until it is resting on the jack stands. All of this happens on a flat floor designed to support the weight.
glenn allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:38 AM   #38

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gene,
I replaced all 6 tires at the same time. The tire dealer does a lot of motorhomes. They jacked the entire motorhome up at one time with their equipment. Did a great job and fast.
GLENN0999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Lifting With Levelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesimmons View Post
i know every place will be different,but when going to get new tires do they use thier own truck jacks or do they want to use the mh jacks to lift it to change tires?
I just purchases SIX new 19.5 tires for my 35' motorhome - the tire shop asked me to use my levelers and I very quickly and firmly said, "my hydraulics are out" ... guess what, they got all six tires changed without great effort. They also tried to jam both tire stems in the same wheel hole where they originally were in opposing holes on the rear... I made them jack the one side back up and put it back as it was originally - some tire guys just don't do motorhomes all that much and they tried to give me some crap about the wheel holes not lining up for proper air flow - I simply said put it back like you took it apart, end of story! They DID!
denforent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by denforent View Post

I just purchases SIX new 19.5 tires for my 35' motorhome - the tire shop asked me to use my levelers and I very quickly and firmly said, "my hydraulics are out" ... guess what, they got all six tires changed without great effort. They also tried to jam both tire stems in the same wheel hole where they originally were in opposing holes on the rear... I made them jack the one side back up and put it back as it was originally - some tire guys just don't do motorhomes all that much and they tried to give me some crap about the wheel holes not lining up for proper air flow - I simply said put it back like you took it apart, end of story! They DID!

Yeah Dude!
I'm forutnate enough to get good tire pricing at a place that does lots of RVs.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires