Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #15

We have Atwood electric jacks on the Bus, and I strongly discourage anyone from using them to lift the rig and then do work under it. We had a jack fail in normal leveling, and when I got home I pulled it apart to see why it wouldn't work. The only thing holding the 10,000 pounds plus on each jack in the rear was a piece of 1/2" steel plate that the jack screws went through. That was fine, but the way they held it in the square jack tibe was to LOOSELY crimp it in on 4 sides, top and bottom. My plate had slipped past the crimps. I added two 1" square bars inside each jack to support this plate, and welded the plate to the top of the jack tube. It won't fail the same way again, but I'd NEVER work under or around a MH without properly sized jack stands. Yes, I carry one.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
While I think the jacks can probably handle the weight, not sure they can handle the weight when the forces necessary to change the tires are applied. Even if the can, just doesn't seem worth the risk.

I always go to tire store who service big trucks, they always have the appropriate equipment to change my tires.
do they lift it one side at a time or front then rear? i think if they did one corner at a time it would cause to much flexing of the mh frame/body
genesimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesimmons View Post
do they lift it one side at a time or front then rear? i think if they did one corner at a time it would cause to much flexing of the mh frame/body
Entire axel at one time. Either front or rear.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #18

After sepnding over 30 years as a truck and heavy equipment mechanic I wouldn't recommend using the jacks for lifting the motorhome for maintenance. These are designed for leveling not to support the entire weight of the vehicle. I have a 10 ton bottle jack for this purpose. I wouldn't trust the mounting brackets for the leveling cylinders supporting the M/H weight for any length of time. Especially with me under it if even to place a jack-stand or blocks.
L Hicks
2000 36' Damon Intruder
hicksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Of course the jack or MH mfgr does not want to take responsibility for any thing but what they have been paid for; leveling jacks.
But, in reality, your choices are to watch all the work and tell them how to do it, as they do it. Other wise, if they only have to lift one side, they'll put the jack on that side; torquing your MH, it's not their problem if your windshield pops out. That does'nt happen with heavy and medium duty trucks. However, if you are training them as they do the work, you can tell them to put a jack on both sides of the axle, and go back and forth jacking each side just a couple of strokes each time. If you don't baby sit them sharing your expertise, and they need both sides off the ground, they will undoubtedly put one jack under the pumpkin. This is common with heavy duty trucks with huge rear axles and and most are twin screw. Most MHs are built as light and cheap as possible for the huge box that goes on them. I personally would be more scared that my axle may not be strong enough to lift the entire rear of the MH from under the pumpkin or differential than I would be to make it a little easier for them and lift the rear with my jacks. Do you really think they are going to tell you that they may have tweaked your rear axle by lifting it with one jack under the pumpkin? . I always tell them that I'll use my jacks that but to please put jack stands or blocks under the axle as I don't want to be responsible for crushed rotors or bodies if my jacks fail.
Check your chassis manual but mine says not to lift the MH with one jack under the pumpkin.

We're all the captains of our ships so we can do it the way we all feel is best or the least risky for us.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
Of course the jack or MH mfgr does not want to take responsibility for any thing but what they have been paid for; leveling jacks.
But, in reality, your choices are to watch all the work and tell them how to do it, as they do it. Other wise, if they only have to lift one side, they'll put the jack on that side; torquing your MH, it's not their problem if your windshield pops out. That does'nt happen with heavy and medium duty trucks. However, if you are training them as they do the work, you can tell them to put a jack on both sides of the axle, and go back and forth jacking each side just a couple of strokes each time. If you don't baby sit them sharing your expertise, and they need both sides off the ground, they will undoubtedly put one jack under the pumpkin. This is common with heavy duty trucks with huge rear axles and and most are twin screw. Most MHs are built as light and cheap as possible for the huge box that goes on them. I personally would be more scared that my axle may not be strong enough to lift the entire rear of the MH from under the pumpkin or differential than I would be to make it a little easier for them and lift the rear with my jacks. Do you really think they are going to tell you that they may have tweaked your rear axle by lifting it with one jack under the pumpkin? . I always tell them that I'll use my jacks that but to please put jack stands or blocks under the axle as I don't want to be responsible for crushed rotors or bodies if my jacks fail.
Check your chassis manual but mine says not to lift the MH with one jack under the pumpkin.
It's been my experience with the last 2 truck tire shops that they use 2 pneumatic jacks one on each side of the axel. Looked like a pit crew at the Indy 500 as they went about changing out the tires on both sides at the same time.

I would think that this would not be too much to ask for.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
It's been my experience with the last 2 truck tire shops that they use 2 pneumatic jacks one on each side of the axel. Looked like a pit crew at the Indy 500 as they went about changing out the tires on both sides at the same time.

I would think that this would not be too much to ask for.
I agree, that sounds nice, but alot of places don't do it that way, like Big O, Discount Tire (before they quit doing MH tires) or Wal Mart when I had a Class C. I guess it depends where you are.
Denver, Colorado
Old 12-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #22

My local Goodyear franchise has an alignment rack that just fits my barge! And yes, they sold me michilens at cost because I worked for them 20 years ago.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
After thinking about it, maybe I just take my MH to the closest most convenient place to my home for a reasonable price rather than drive much further to a more truck oriented place with inconvenient hours. However, I do work for CDOT (Colorado Dept of Transportation) and I see how they change tires on trucks, slam, bam thank you ma'am!

In forty years, I never seen them use a torque wrench or two jacks, one on each side of truck. However, they come to us and I've never watched how they do it at their shop.
Denver, Colorado
Old 12-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Just do what I do:

When the tires wear out or the rig needs any other service, just drive it off a cliff and buy a new one.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Just do what I do:

When the tires wear out or the rig needs any other service, just drive it off a cliff and buy a new one.
I would too, if I were you.
Denver, Colorado
Old 12-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
I would too, if I were you.
Yes...

Being Filthy Rich- also just plain filthy- certainly does make life easier....
Old 12-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have HWH jacks and it will lift a tire off the ground without any effort. If you don't dump the air bags and the jack fails it's not going to drop very far. With my Motorhome, with the bags dumped there is still enough room to move around under it.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Here's an interesting Link to a News story

Quote:
PERRY TWP. —
A Hanoverton man working under an RV was crushed and killed Monday night when the vehicle’s jack system failed.

Tags
tires