Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2014, 05:23 PM   #1

Light Fixture

I have a 2005 Monaco LaPalma, the ceiling lights are the two bulb thin light fluorescent fixtures. The one in the bedroom stopped working, I have replaced the bulbs and still not working. Any ideas what I should check?

Thank you!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2014, 05:33 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
If you are SURE it is getting power, the ballast in the fixture is bad. Brand name normally is "thin light". You can order a replacement ballast online, or for a few $$ more get a replacement fixture at most RV dealerships. ...OR... for about the same price as a new fixture I have replaced several flourescent bulbs with led strips. I buy from jirahleds.com. They have kits for both 12 and 18 inch fixtures. They bypass the ballast, and are as bright or brighter than the original fluorescents. They are great in the ceiling, and I especially like them in my 12" under cabinet counter fixtures!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:41 PM   #3

Here is a great solution. cabinbright.com
Old 02-15-2014, 05:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
If you are SURE it is getting power, the ballast in the fixture is bad. Brand name normally is "thin light". You can order a replacement ballast online, or for a few $$ more get a replacement fixture at most RV dealerships. ...OR... for about the same price as a new fixture I have replaced several flourescent bulbs with led strips. I buy from jirahleds.com. They have kits for both 12 and 18 inch fixtures. They bypass the ballast, and are as bright or brighter than the original fluorescents. They are great in the ceiling, and I especially like them in my 12" under cabinet counter fixtures!
I just got the motor home back from repair shop doing some repairs on heat pump/AC, I am wondering if they disconnected something.

These light run off DC power, correct?

Thank you!!
Old 02-15-2014, 05:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
Here is a great solution. cabinbright.com
Thank you! I will check them out!
Old 02-15-2014, 06:57 PM   #6

With the availability of LED replacements, I personally would never spend a cent on flourescent tubes or ballasts. I have converted all 7 of mine and am glad I did.

Yes, the fixture is fed 12volts DC and the ballast converts it to 120AC going to the tubes. After converting to LEDs you do not use the ballast anymore.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:37 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The whole LED thing is great once you figure out what to buy. That's the problem I'm having. At $60 per fixture or more it can get real expensive to experiment.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:42 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
No need to replace the fixture:

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
Thanks so much for the video, this is a great help!! Do you know or happen to have a list of the parts? Thanks!!
Old 02-17-2014, 06:43 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I found the video here on iRV2 by using 'LED strip conversion' in the Search block at the top of the site bar. Wiring and Connections (step by step guide) - How To Install is one source.

There are more than a few suppliers...through Amazon and other on line sources. I have not done this conversion...We seldom boondock and have no problems with our fluorescent fixtures.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:11 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Here's where I went to get a roll to replace my florescents when the ballast goes out don't get waterproof unless you need it. It's a pain to cut out the waterproofing to make the connection. They also have a lot of good info

Top 4 considerations before buying flexible LED strip lights - Flexfire LEDs, Inc.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post
Here's where I went to get a roll to replace my florescents when the ballast goes out don't get waterproof unless you need it. It's a pain to cut out the waterproofing to make the connection. They also have a lot of good info Top 4 considerations before buying flexible LED strip lights - Flexfire LEDs, Inc.

Thank you!!