Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #1

Light issue help please

Hello All I hope this is the right place to post. Ok here goes. I have an older 1985 Beaver 36 motorhome it is a DP. The issue i am having is with the tail lights running lights brake lights. Head lights work, blinkers work both front rear and sides. No running lights front cap rear cap or sides. I tested each wire going to the brake lights and every one seems to have continuity to ground. even the blinker.
According to the wireing diagram i have the following shows

there are three tail lighs on each side.

looking at the back of the rv
right lite set is a follows

right tail/turn/brake = red, brown, white
center light backup = black, white
left tail/turn/brake = yellow, brown, white

left set

right tail/turn/brake = red, brown, white
center backup = white, black
left tail/turn/brake = yellow brown, white.

White is ground.

all wires show continuity to ground. I am asuming this is due to the lights beeing in the sockets? please help

just a reminder blinkers/flashers and headlights work all others do not.

Thanks
mike.
cptmiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Have you traced any fuses or relays yet?
Old 06-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #3

Not getting the positive side to the lights. Follow the wire back to the lights and find the open circuit.
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree losing 12v someware sounds like relay issue or fuse for all the clearence lights to be out.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:34 AM   #5

The tail lights, are fed from a seperate terminal on the headlight switch,and have there own fuse in the fuse box, marker lights may or may not have another fuse.Depending on the coach there might not be any relays in the light circuits, the headlights are powered from an internal circuit breaker in the headlight switch. Signals and flashers each have seperate fuses too. If the fuses all check out then the problem may be in the switch , as some older coaches with no relays overloaded the switch and would burn it out frequently. Isn't coach electrical fun. Good Luck.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:28 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree he has a older coach and that would be a good start might have a wire loose or come off.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
If you have an ICC switch installed, the light wires (except maybe the brake lights) you mention may pass through that switch. Mine did.

My fix was to buy a new PCB for the switch and all was well. It was about $25 purchased through the coach manufacturer, who is now out of business.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:42 PM   #8

Part fix

Ok all, The ICC and running lites flashers and turn signals all work now. I found a bad connections to the main 50 amp breaker in the front. Now im down to the brake lite's not working. I have 12+ volts on one side of the Brake switch and 0 Volts on the other when the switch is closed power transfers across and 12+ volts is there at the switch. I am not sure how this is wired. as i am having difficulty tracing the wires. there is a red wire that comes from the turn signal for the brakes. but cant seem to trace were this goes too. I am just looking to see how to get this power to the right place. I'm about done with trying to trace it down and am going to run a new wire but Don't know were to put it.

Ill describe the relay system as best i can so here goes

Turn signal relays as follows below.

Side note these are DUAL 87 pin relays NOT 87/87A's power is applied to both 87 pins at the same time.

left relay
pin 30 to left turn signal
pin 85 to turn signal switch
pin 86 to ground
pin 87 (this is a dual 87 relay NOT 87/87A) to 15 amp self resenting circuit breaker to flasher pin X to 12+volts chassis battery

Right relay
pin 30 to right turn signal
pin 85 to turn signal switch
pin 86 to ground
pin 87 (this is a dual 87 relay NOT 87/87A) to 15 amp self resetting circuit breaker to flasher pin X to 12+volts chassis battery

Pin X of flasher relay goes to 12+volts chassis battery
Pin L of flasher relay goes to flasher flasher switch I believe on steering column.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #9

The output side of the brake light switch , feeds power to the turn signal switch. When no signals are in use the T/S switch passes power to both L & R brake light bulbs, When a signal light is on the T/S switch interrupts brake light power to the signal side and feeds power from the flasher on that side of the coach. Find the T/S switch connector at the base of the steering column, check for power from the brake light switch , going in and B/L power out on 2 wires , to the rear of the coach.
I am assuming your coach uses a common bulb for brake and signal at the rear.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:15 AM   #10

Yup next place to check in the blinker assembly renting a steering wheel puller tomorrow.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptmiker View Post
Yup next place to check in the blinker assembly renting a steering wheel puller tomorrow.
You can test at the multiple connector and save $$
Depending in your set up, switch wiring has a 7,8,or9 pin connector.
T/S Flasher power wire
Emergency flasher p/wire
Brake light switch p/w
as power inputs
L/F signal light
R/F signal light
L/R Signal/ brake light
& R/R signal/brake light
as outputs, and possibly a ground wire for the horn relay , and a feed for an ignition switch illumination bulb , if your ignition is in the column.
With a test light check for 3 wires that flash on L signal and 3 on right.
1 will be the same for both sides ; the input. If you have power from the brake light switch into the connector and not coming down in 2 others one from each signal, then you have to pull the switch.
Remove the emergency flasher when testing , as it may give a false reading when checking the wires.