Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-26-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
Question Light wiring on tow car

We have a motorhome with a 6-7 wire light system. I purchased an inexpensive 4 wire set of magnet lights for the top of our tow car. Right now we only have headlights and turn signals working. Would a 7/4 wire adapter work to provide the missing brake lights? Thanks

MWindsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Mwindsor, Let me ask a few questions. The headlights and turn indicators are working but the taillights are not on the motorhome? What is working on the magnetic lights? Does your motorhome have a 6 wire plug or a large 7 wire plug? Does the magnetic lights already have a four wire plug attached?

Mike Canter
"Gunner" USN Retired, Airdale
2004 Monaco Signature 44' Conquest. Detroit 60
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:39 AM   #3

I presume you are talking about the lights not working on the magnetic light set. How do you have it hooked up now? Are you sure the connector on the rear of the RV is functioning correctly. If not an adaptor won't help. That said I bought at Walmart a seven to four pin connecter to use with my magnetic lights and all lights work just as they should.
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:29 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Do you have stop and turn signal lights that operate independently of each other on the coach such as yellow turn signals and the red brake lights? If you do then you will have to wire in a converter box available at any auto parts store or Walmart.

Any parts counter person worth their salt can explain it if you stop in.

Maybe some help with the wiring here in this link

3 to 2 Solid State Tail Light Converter Female Harness

edit; do you have separate turn signal and brake lights on the toad? That would pose a problem if you do and not on the coach.
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:09 AM   #5
After sending two individual "thanks", I realized it looks like I can respond to all the people trying to help with one quick reply. (First time on this forum)! All the lights on the motorhome work properly. It's only the brake lights on the magnetic lights on top of the car (toad) that don't work.
From the responses I received, it looks like I could use a 3-2 light converter on the motorhome end.
I also didn't mention that I tried to connect the red brake light wire with the headlight wire. You folks that responded probably already know not to try that! When I put on the headlights going down the highway, I lost throttle control and slowed down to about 5 mph. The problem was quickly fixed when I pulled over and disconnected the red brake light wire from the headlight connection. I was smart enough to figure that out! This is for those do it "yourselfer's" like myself that have to learn the hard way!! Fortunately, I don't think I did any serious damage. Didn't even blow a fuse! If there are any other suggestions, I'm listening.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
Didn't even blow a fuse! If there are any other suggestions, I'm listening.
Pull into the nearest Camping World and have them fix the wiring.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
The nearest Camping world is at least 2 hours away and diesel fuel ain't cheap!! From a better suggestion, it looks like the fix will cost less than $10 and about 2 hours (max) of my time including going to buy the part. Besides, I've learned a lot by doing it myself. I've saved thousands over the years by doing it myself. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!