Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2016, 10:02 AM   #1

Lights going dim

I am hooked up to 50 amp service and my meter says 118 to 120 volts but my interior lights seem to get dim and my aqua hot says low voltage. I hit the reset button on aqua hot and it will stay on for a minute then go to low voltage again. I turn off both batteryswitches for a few seconds to reset things but that does not help. My coach is all electric and the batteries are 3 years old. Any idea's for me?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2016, 10:06 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Check voltage of the batteries..aqua hot is 12v (and so are most interior lights) so you could have an issue with the battery charger/inverter.

dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:12 AM   #3

Your interior lights should be 12 volt and perhaps the Aqua Hot control board too. So I would think your issue may be related to the converter/inverter , possible a tripped breaker on the unit its self. Check all the breakers in the 120v distribution center then look for a push button re-set on the inverter. Your 12v systems should be showing 13.4 >14.2 volts if the inverter is operating properly.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurdock View Post
Check voltage of the batteries..aqua hot is 12v (and so are most interior lights) so you could have an issue with the battery charger/inverter.
I just went through the same issue. My 12V interior lights were dim and I found that my inverter wasn't charging my batteries. After a couple of days checking the transfer switch, and surge protector I pulled my inverter and found a wire nut that had come loose and burned up one of the wires coming from the 120v feed to the inverter. I made repairs and all is good. FYI everything I checked showed 120volts but I still had the issue. What I noticed is that the inverter was not charging the batteries.

Maybe this will help
Old 05-01-2016, 12:53 PM   #5

dim lights

My fault guys I saw that the inverter was off and not charging. After cleaning the battery I then turned the inverter back on and the batteries read 8.4 and are now bulk charging. They have been bulk charging for 2 hours, how long will the bulk charging go on. We parked the coach 6 days ago and figured by hooking up to 50 amp that the inverter would automaticly switch over. We keep the inverter on while traveling to keep the residential fridge cold. Should I also keep the inverter on while parked and hooked up to 50 amp?
Old 05-01-2016, 01:04 PM   #6

Yes , keep it on.

It may bulk charge for a number of hours. The amp hour capacity of your battery bank will dictate that.

If you have a 400 AH bank and dead, it will take 3 to 4 hours at 100 amps charging rate to get it back to 80%.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:22 PM   #7

dim lights

Do I need to keep the inverter on at all times even when plugged in to 50 amp.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:13 PM   #8

If turning off your inverter stops the battery from charging you should leave it on unless stored with no power.

Many inverter switchs don't shut down the charging side. Let the fourm know what type and model inverter, for more info.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:41 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Ken....Your profile shows that you have a beaver Contessa. Most of those coaches came with a Magnum inverter, unless it's quite a bot older. The Magnum controller, has TWO buttons, one above the other. One turns your "INVERTER" on/off and the other turns your "CHARGER" on/off. Make sure which one your pushing. You really should never turn off your charger unless you're really trying to conserve power (amps) at a campsite with only 20-30 amps.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:46 PM   #10

dim lights

Now we have a 2008 Monaco dynasty with the same magnum inverter.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:24 PM   #11

thanks for all the info, I have it all working well now that the inverter is on.

Tags
light, lights