Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #1

lippert jack problems

Hello All, can anyone help me out? I've read quite a bit on here about problems with
Lippert jacks and pumps.. I'm one of the unlucky ones who did NOT have trouble with my pump and seal under warranty with the jacks on my 2009 Damon Challenger. I've contacted Lippert and all they want to do is sell me a new pump and coupler at list price of $750. I saw that someone found a replacement on the internet but I've had no luck with that route either. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Any official word on if Lippert or Damon ever had a recall on the unit/seal? I also am a victim of the motor from china with the part number 414850. Thanks again, RupDamon

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2013, 05:52 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
I just had my motor rebuilt at a local auto electrical shop for $124.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback1 View Post
I just had my motor rebuilt at a local auto electrical shop for $124.
Our motor trips chassis DC breaker. How do I remove motor?
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Remove the two power cables on each side, then you remove the 2 long (thin) bolts that go thru the motor and attach to the pump. Beware of the motor coupler that might fall out, on the ground. It couples the motor shaft to the pump shaft. Take the O ring off the motor so you don't lose it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pump motor1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	509.2 KB
ID:	42039   Click image for larger version

Name:	pump2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	42041  

Old 07-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #5

We had our pump/motor replaced about a month ago under our extended warrenty. I kept the pump and motor so that I could look it over and see if there is some way to work on the sealing of the motor. On ours the seal went bad, allowing fluid into the motor. The shop that replaced ours had said that they have replace several of these systems.
It sucks to have a system that appears to have a design flaw, and little help of Lippert. On the other hand, there seems to be lots of owners out there that have little problems with this system. It will be interesting to watch.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well the good thing about Lippert are the techs, they really help. But you are right about known problems that they know about. My first year of owning the RV my jacks failed to go up while in FL. After troubleshooting with Mike at lippert I hit the motor with a wrench and up came the jacks. Mike sent me a new motor and O ring and I put it in. Now about 5 years later that motor went south, the same hit is with a screwdriver and up came the jacks. I never had the O ring leak fluid in the pump, seems like moisture is getting in the motor. Another problem I had was the tank leaking, after replacing the O ring still leaked. The design on the pump/tank is such that the tank has 4 screws holding it to the pump but the tank is not resting on anything. I have a 4qt tank (they don't make anymore) so you have a gallon of fluid bouncing as you travel. I added a steel plate to the frame that the motor sits on and put some rubber pads so that the tank now sits on that. I put permatex around the neck of the tank and no more leaks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-07-31_11-42-56_906.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	42049   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-02_14-02-13_123.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	42050