Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-10-2015, 01:12 PM   #1
Lippert Schwintek Slide Problem Self Resolution

Have a stuck slide, out of synch etc? I did but Giant RV in Colton failed to diagnose or fix the problem, they only had it 51 days and don't believe in keeping your coach batteries charged AKA Giant RV Colton Coach Battery Syndrome. A BatteryMinder confused them so no wonder. I went online and downloaded the Lippert manual. Lippert uTubes are also available. When the slide sticks find the slide controller and look for the flashing diodes. Count the flashes of each diode and compare to the chart, your problem has been partially diagnosed. For most problems you can override the system. Push the reset button in 6 times and hold on the 7th for 5 seconds. That might have been the dealer's problem, counting. The red/green diodes will flash alternately. You have 30 seconds to go in and push the retract button till the slide stops. Wives, husbands, girlfriends, boyfriends and any grandchild are good for this, just probably not in my opinion Giant RV Colton.

Doesn't move, go read the diode code. Switch the fore and aft motor plugs. Do reset procedure again, still stuck, only one motor working, still same code it's the controller. Takes about 3 minutes to change out. Thanks Thor for quickly helping me and sending me a a new controller.

So your slide is part out waiting on the new controller. Unplug the 2 motors from controller. Motor brakes are now released, find some beefy guys/gals push it in. Want some mechanical help use the slide lock. Reattach the motors that will lock the motor brakes and use the slide lock if moving the coach.

Now for synching the two motors. Release slide lock. Run the slide out all the way till it stops then release the switch. Bring it in 6-8 inches then out again till it stops and then release the switch. Repeat this 3 to 4 times. Bring it in and it should be synched. To keep your slide in synch run it out all the way and only release the switch after the slide has stopped. Same for slide retraction bring it in all the way and only release the switch after the slide has stopped.

NOTE: Your coach batteries need to be fully charged to operate the slide, oops Giant RV Colton, Giant RV Low Coach Battery Syndrome - read the manual. Set your emergency brake, start the engine if necessary.

More than likely my slide problem was caused in my opinion by the failure of the dealer to keep the coach battery charged and or while operating the slide.

Thor sent me a new controller and it took me about 5 minutes to get it working and synched.

DISCLAIMER: Now I am pretty old and decrepit but I was able to do this rather easily but please just don't rely on the above, read the manual. I tried to be as thorough and complete as possible. If you have questions call your MH manufacturer or Lippert. If your polite they work wonders. As for Giant RV in Colton u decide.

I want to learn how to fix, diagnose and repair as much of the RV as I can, I want to be self sufficient. My only issue left is the Jensen rear camera. Thor/ Jensen and I all suspect the Giant RV Low Coach Battery Syndrome. I have a diagnosis punch list from Thor with Jensen. The first item was a system reboot, so far it has worked and my batteries are charged. Time will tell if I need to do more.

Forest Grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2015, 01:56 PM   #2
I too have learned most of this on the web while waiting for my new motor and track assembly to come from Schwintek. I had to take mine into Mike Thompson's RV in Santa Fe Springs as my slide jammed and the guide wheel broke. They were a pleasure to work with and kept me informed almost daily as to the progress. The service advisor even came to my home to help me get the slide in since it was jammed in the out position. It is now home and we leave tomorrow for a few days. I can not say the same thing for Mike Thompson's in Fountain Valley, they basically suck and I will never go there for anything. Your experience with Giant in Colton sounds familiar if you know what I mean.

2014 Itasca Sunova 33C towing a Jeep TJ Wrangler
530ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:08 PM   #3
YouTube has some good videos on the slide synching and diagnosis also.

Jimmy & Becki Cullipher, Stuttgart AR
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT 37'
2011 Jeep Wrangler on the Blue Ox
jcullipher is offline   Reply With Quote