Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2016, 07:38 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
I can confirm the information on the $200 and .5 labor, but North Trail is way out of line on their pricing. Call Independence RV instead.

My 30 inch double step on the LcI web site retails for $700 minus the 200 from LCI so my worst price is $500. I'll be glad to contribute to their labor.

I'm still waiting for pricing from my local dealer but I I know that they will get the step at dealer cost minus 200

Keep shopping.
North Trail said the $200 comes off but they still add in their dealer mark-up. Also, I have a triple step.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2016, 04:03 PM   #16

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We recently installed the kwikee electric steps. When we called the nearest Monaco dealer we were told that the replacement part must be installed by a certified tech because it is part of a federal recall. The Feds said all work needs to be certified. For us that meant a ferry ride and numerous hours.

As a result the kwikee step was the next option. Advertised as a direct replacement is not true. Hole spacing of the steps did not line up with the mount spacing of the coach. Normally open door switch provided with our coach needed to be replaced with a normally closed door switch to operate.
However, the new steps provide a more secure step. They do not "wiggle" like the old. It is worth the money, but we provided the labor.
diva51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:43 AM   #17

diva51

I have researched the Kwikee mounting bolt pattern of 8 x 26 and also knew about the switch replacement but don't have details on what modifications may be required. Were you able to drill a new bolt pattern or did you have to modify the brackets??
Old 03-25-2016, 12:22 PM   #18

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Stan drilled two new holes in the kwikee step. He said it was not a big deal.
diva51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:48 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I got the part shipped to the Spartain service center, it took a good while to get the plate. While I was waiting on the part my steps got where they would not extend all the way or retrace all the in. I went today to get the part installed and asked if that would fi the problem of in and out. It did not so they called Lippert and they said that the problem I had was not covered, the steps worked perfectly but when they got loose because of the part is when the problem begin. Has anyone else experienced this problem. They go so far in then starts to jerk, you can push or pull until the jerking stops and they will stay out or in. I could have put the part on in about 10-15 minutes, I took the old one off trying to get the steps to works and put it back on, It is really a two man job, one to hole everything in place and the other to put the bolts and spacers in. It did work better after I tinkered with it but will still not go in or out all the way, it is worse not that the new part is on.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:44 AM   #20

I put the kit on and found that the plate with it's bumper restricted the retraction of the steps so that they were sticking out about an inch when fully in against the bumper stop. I took the kit off as it looked bad with the step sticking out like that.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:11 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I talked to Lippert about the recall and what problems could be caused by the recall part. I read the paper that came from the recall and they mentioned the steps could get loose enough to cause aa fall. My steps was loose already, I had to tighten them up a couple of times. They denied that the loose steps could cause a retraction or extension problem. I fouk the steps online for $375. plus freight but they were out of stock which means a 4 week wait
Old 09-05-2016, 07:32 PM   #22

My experience was similar to Diva. Lippert offers 200 off new Kwikee steps and 1/2 hour labor. But the Kwikee steps are not compatible with the wiring with the Lippert wiring harness. They don't tell you that. The up/down switches are somehow reversed, so when they should go out, they go in.
Son the installation went from about an hour to three for the tech trying to figure out what to do, and had to pay for new door closer sensors plus installation. The Kwikee steps are better than the originals, but the whole ordeal cost me about 900.00
Jimg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lippert, recall