Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2014, 04:09 PM   #1

Liquid roof for seams?

i am looking at getting the roof seams re-done as the caulking is bad. i asked an rv tech about giving me a quote for doing it with eternabond. i told him i wanted it done right the first time and to not have to worry about it for a long time. i was then told he recommended using liquid roof instead of eternabond because he has seen eternabond's edges start curling up after a few years. anyone agree on using liquid roof instead of eternabond for the seams?
maneddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2014, 04:17 PM   #2

I have no experience with liquid seam sealer. However, I just covered my seams (preventative) with eternabond tape. It has a 15 year warranty. It is important to place tape properly. Clean area thoroughly, I used mineral spirits. Apply eternabond primer. Press tape with a roller, as the adhesive is pressure activated. All the best with your decision.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:46 PM   #3

George, I'm curious about the process with Eternabond and thinking of my roof.
I'm guessing the outside edges are pretty simple to do but how about around all the "things" on the roof....vents, TV ants and sats, etc.

Must you remove all previous sealer, putty, tape and the like?

Do you have pictures of what you did?

Thanks!

Jim
rvjimzhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:51 PM   #4

I haven't done mine. I'm looking to pay a tech who has done it hundreds of times and do it right the first time. I would probably mess it up and have leaks. Sealing around openings can be done with eternabond as well as the main seams. Google eternabond videos and you will find some I'm sure.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:38 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Eternabond has been used for years and many coach builders use it in specific areas oj the roof. It's not really made to use on vents and other small items. You have round roof vents for your tanks, how would you seal those with Eternabond. Again, it's great stuff, but really has a specific use. For example.....my previous coach had an aluminum roof where several large sheets were used to make up the roof. Eternabond was used along the long seems and worked well. It's most often used where the front and rear caps meet the roof, but is never rolled over the edges of the roof because it will eventually loose it's color or LOOK like it's peeling.

Areas such as the roof vents, the edges of the joints where the front and rear cap meet (visible from the ground), around tank vents, and screws used to secure equipment are typically sealed with Dicor on most modern roofs.

Many don't want to take the time to remove the Dicor and will just cover over it with Eternabond or more Dicor, which doesn't really give you a good looking or quality seal. It's like putting patches on patches rather than fix the leak.

To do the job properly, clean off the old putty or Dicor (a heat gun on low and a putty knife works well) and then reseal. Dicor applies easily and self levels making for a nice finish. If you have long stretches, like the cap joints, use the Eternabond. Even though Eternabond comes in different colors, the paint on it will eventually wear/chip off and revert back to silver. The edges of Eternabond will often lift a little, but try and pull it off. It turns into a tar like substance that lasts for a long time. If the peeling edges bother you, use some adhesive to seal them back down to the roof.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvjimzhr View Post
George, I'm curious about the process with Eternabond and thinking of my roof.
I'm guessing the outside edges are pretty simple to do but how about around all the "things" on the roof....vents, TV ants and sats, etc.

Must you remove all previous sealer, putty, tape and the like?

Do you have pictures of what you did?

Thanks!

Jim
Hi Jim,

I did not remove all the old caulk on the seams. However, I did remove a lot of it so that I had plenty of good clean surface for the tape to bond to. I used 3"wide, many choose 4" width tape. Fantastic Fans, refrig vent I pulled up, rebedded in butyl putty tape, then sealed around with Eternabond tape. Skylight I replaced with new dome and same process as fans. I have not addressed the small items like vent pipes, antenna, etc as of now. Eternabond does make larger sheets that could be cut to those applications.

Everything I did was preventative, as I have an 07 MH and do not want any water intrusion. I was pleased to learn of Eternabond and have an alternative to caulking. I purchased my tape, primer, and roller from Amazon. Sorry no pics available.

As mentioned before, there are videos on the internet showing how to use the Eternabond Tape. I have two friends that are fulltimers and have had the tape on their MH roofs 10+ years. That was part of the reason I decided to try it. All the best!
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:06 AM   #7

Ok, so back to my original question . Would it be better to use eternabond for the seams on the roof or liquid roof?
Old 03-14-2014, 06:17 AM   #8

I use Eternabond and Dicor Lap Seal as the two seam sealers on my rig. The Liquid Rood while making a great product for open area coverage has poor integrity due to its thin nature in and around the seam areas. I have completed a Liquid Roof application on my current rig two years ago and have returned with some of the product I had not used to do some patching ...but I can not see it as a good interface area sealant. Those spots around the rivets...around the vents...around the sewer vents and skylights are dynamic in nature and need a thicker sealant.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:01 AM   #9

Dicor works so well I even use it around my windows on my house. And I mean it sticks..and will not leak where its is placed.Wonderful product
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:32 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Liquid Roof makes a pretty decent sealer, so I think the basic answer is Yes, it could be used. Eternabond requires a fairly smooth surface, at least at the edges, to adhere well and prevent water intrusion under the edges. Liquid Roof would avoid that problem. But properly installed Eternabond won't peal or curl either. And for either one you must still remove any bad caulk, i.e. loose or severely cracked. Or at least that what the instructions recommend.

I suspect your tech wants to use Liquid Roof because it often requires less prep work and usually yields a nice-looking job. Hard to fault him for that.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:40 AM   #11

That's my thinking as well. As long as it lasts for a long time I don't care what he uses. I just wish I had the 5k to get the lifetime roof done.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:52 AM   #12

All good info and I'm appreciative! Right now I'm inspecting my rubber roof regularly but not ready to embark on any major work. I don't have leaks, that I'm aware of, and hesitant to "fix what is not broken".
rvjimzhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:21 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Both have their place--
The eternabond tape works best for straight line areas. Cutting for curves can be done but not easily and application may be more difficult. If concerned about the edges, after it is set up for a few days, I clean the edges of any adhesive that has oozed out and then seal with a thin bead of Dicor. Mainly done to keep the edge from attracting dirt....

Dicor recommends that the old sealant around vents and seams be left in place, cleaned with mineral spirits and then new Dicor applied over -unless the caulk is lifting then it should be removed and re-done..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof