Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #1

Liquid RV Roof over TPO

Has anyone ever put Liquid RV Roof over an existing TPO roof?

Thanks!

GoBama84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Why would you want to? If you have a bad TPO then it can be repaired. there is a new outfit in FL that overcoats any roof. Here is their address.
Permanent coatings, INC.
3236 Hi3236 Highway 17 Suite 1
Green Cove Springs, FL 32043

sales@RVRoof.com
904-814-2104

Old 08-24-2013, 11:04 PM   #3

Does anyone know anyone who has done this?
GoBama84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Many owners (including us) have recovered their rubber roofs with Liquid Rubber / Liquid Roof from Pro Guard Coatings | Pro Guard Coatings.

They say it's for EPDM rubber roofs and I don't know what the difference with TPO or how you tell them apart.

I put it on last year, it wasn't an easy job but I did it in two days (I think it's A LOT easier if you have scaffolding and a partner - if you do decide that works for you and want to apply it yourself, search forums for posts and I'm sure you'll find a lot of tips on what to do and not to do). Ours didn't leak yet so I'm not sure if it actually helps but it certainly looks a lot better and more resistant. I think it was about $500 of material so I think it was money well spent. I believe having the rubber roof replaced is around $100/ft so it's certainly much cheaper than getting the roof replaced.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
TPO is a totally different material than EPDM. If you press your thumbnail into EPDM, it will react like rubber and allow your thumbnail to penetrate slightly. TPO, on the other hand, isn't resilient. I wouldn't go haphazardly throwing a coating for EPDM over TPO without checking with someone like Dicor who provides both membrane materials to the RV OEMs.

I'm baffled why you would want to coat TPO? The TPO roof on our 9 year old 5th wheel looks like new.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:25 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I accidentally tore my TPO roof on a recently purchased 38' Fleetwood Expedition with a low lying limb. I was shocked to hear my RV repair shop suggest that the whole roof skin must be replaced. I found in my manufacturer manual where dealers might have a repair kit, but the dealer is refusing to use the kit as they are not willing to guarantee their work for me. Anyone ever used the kit to repair a TPO roof, or is replacement the only/best option?
Old 02-19-2014, 04:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentBoy View Post
I accidentally tore my TPO roof on a recently purchased 38' Fleetwood Expedition with a low lying limb. I was shocked to hear my RV repair shop suggest that the whole roof skin must be replaced. I found in my manufacturer manual where dealers might have a repair kit, but the dealer is refusing to use the kit as they are not willing to guarantee their work for me. Anyone ever used the kit to repair a TPO roof, or is replacement the only/best option?
How big is the tear ? I would think some eternabond tape might be a permanent fix if the tear is small enough.

http://www.eternabond.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2963329639.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	592.7 KB
ID:	56471  
Old 02-19-2014, 04:37 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Two small triangular tears, one about about 6 inches long and the other about 12 inches long. It's on the edge of the coach's roof.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:35 PM   #9

Hey Loyd, great question, great minds think alike! Check out my thread on the MH General discussions forum, near the top.

And I also like the Eternabond tape for small repairs. I wonder if anyone has done an entire roof with Eternabond tape?!
Old 02-20-2014, 06:50 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Definately don't have to replace the whole roof (thousands of dollars). Eternabond patch kits typically only cover small areas but from dealers (or on eBay), you can get a much larger patch (e.g. Eternabond Roof Leak Repair Mobile Home RV White 24" x 24" Fix EPDM Rubber | eBay).

I suspect that you could do the entire roof with Eternabond although at some point, it's not going to work that well since you're just sticking the Eternabond to the existing material below - if the material below is too badly damaged, you've got nothing to hold on to ...

Tags
roof