Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2014, 09:23 AM   #15

When we bought our first coach, we were interested in the same thing. We were not sure if we were going to like it as a hobby or not, so did not want to invest too much till we knew for sure. We went with a nice entry level gasser. We have now moved into what is considered a mid level DP and are very happy ( so far, still on our maiden 4 week voyage).

I would recommend going to the web sites of each manufacturer and look there. You can read through and figure out the entry level on up in both their gasser sand DP's.

Good luck and have fun. Shopping is a big part of the fun, IMHO!
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2014, 09:25 AM   #16

I also feel Smitty's list was very good. It lists all the high end well built units. Could not agree more. As said, he nailed it.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:27 PM   #17

Caryl, as a footnote Tiffin is a good coach, however in many years models, which I believe the phaeton your looking at had crown issues with the fiberglass roof and wet bay issues. I would practice due diligence to insure these problems do not exist or have been repaired at Red Bay.[/QUOTE]

Great info. The roof I understand. “Wet bay” I do not understand. Where is the bay?

An RV tech will inspect the coach from head to toe on Monday. I’ll mention it to him. I’ll also check the paperwork for clues.
Appreciate it!
Old 10-04-2014, 06:56 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Caryl, as I understand the "wet bay" it was a area above the sewer bay, shower area which the floor became saturated thus delamination, ie. soggy floor. I do not have personal experience only issues I've read from many Tiffin owners on the forum. It's great your having the coach inspected. I would do a google search at the top right banner I'm sure you'll find exact information on "wet bay Tiffin MH".
Best wishes on your new rig.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:33 AM   #19

Thanks. Googled it as suggested then called Tiffin. Was told that the wet bay area is warrantied for 8 years. The roof is out of warranty (6 years) but they’ll replace it at any time without a labor charge. I would have to buy the parts. I’ll look at both again myself and then with the inspector.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:04 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Great research on your part. Follow your tech inspector, ask lots of questions, take photos,video if you can. Be sure the inspector gets under the coach checking air lines, shocks, air bags looking for leaks etc. Check every operational item on the coach and don't forget DOT tire dates that's s chunk of money if their past five years of age or show sidewall cracks or revering. The roof crown issue would be easily identifiable. I hope all checks out in good working order. Also, have an oil analysis performed.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:34 AM   #21
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryl View Post
Will someone please provide, or tell me where I can find, lists of quality RV brands with the models listed in order from entry level to the most high end model? I’ve looked at the brochures. The models are listed alphabetically. I’m looking for a mid level to higher end Monaco, Holiday Rambler, Newmar, Country Coach, Winnebago, etc. Thanks so much for your help.

One way is to look at the MSRP and order by that.

In this case Newmar listed them in order on its website.....look at my pic below
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1412512442.730581.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	490.8 KB
ID:	75765
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:04 PM   #22

That ad is exactly what I was looking for. Gracias.

Clay, The tires are old. They look beautiful but they are from 06. The PPL Motors guy said, "Michelin says their tires last 11 years”. I doubt that but did look on the Michelin site just in case. Found some discussion about tire life which said they could last 10 years but after 5 they should be inspected regularly. I would think that it needs new tires. I have put 500 deposit on the coach. I’m okay with losing it rather than spending 100K on a coach with issues. I would have to go through with the inspection then approach the sellers about fixing any issues found. If they will not repair the issues then I can have my $500 back. Since the salesman already said that the tire were okay I’m not sure if they’ll approach the seller about replacement. I’ll ask in the morning.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:04 PM   #23

06 tires are NOT ok! IMHO
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:12 PM   #24

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
VERY helpful. Thanks.

Drove a 2007 Tiffin Phaeton 40’ DP. May be "The One".
Appears meticulously maintained. Drove nicely.
It had what was on the list and more
solid surface countertops which create one large level counter
micro/convection w/o standard oven
four door fridge
free standing dinette
zero or limited carpet (tile!)
private toilet, private shower
washer/dryer connections
fiberglass roof
All maintenance records which the PO has filed nicely in a well organized accordion file system. (What a guy!)

Close to the high end of my budget. It’s a keeper.

Thanks again for all of the good advice.

PPL in New Braunfels TX. Very good service so far.
I was looking at a very similar coach a few years ago.. Be SURE that the three common issues with this coach have been addressed.. One.. Rotting Water compartment floor. Two Soft Slide floor especially on the left side. And three the roof to side caps tended to crack and leak.. Once upon a time Tiffin was taking care of these after warranty but for how long ?
Good luck..
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:28 PM   #25

List Entry Level to High End

Fire doc- I share your HO I just wonder if it is worth it to buy the coach and replace the tires myself or just turn away if they won't replace them. Lots to think about.

What is a firedoc?
Is the firedoc Terry or Alice?
Old 10-05-2014, 09:51 PM   #26

Quote:
Thanks. Googled it as suggested then called Tiffin. Was told that the wet bay area is warrantied for 8 years. The roof is out of warranty (6 years) but they’ll replace it at any time without a labor charge. I would have to buy the parts. I’ll look at both again myself and then with the inspector.

What is an oil analysis?
Old 10-05-2014, 10:01 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
RV Oil Analysis | Leading RV Analysis Company | JG Lubricant Services
Old 10-05-2014, 11:21 PM   #28
Community Moderator

i would consider the oil analysis to be one of the most important steps for ppi.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote