Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2016, 06:01 AM   #15

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Oh View Post
Have you tried RV Consumer Group? RV Consumer Group - We Rate RVs. Used them for my second RV purchase and found their reports helpful when I narrowed my search down to the two most likely.
We have used them for out last 6 RV purchases, isnce 1998, and it is absolutely worth it. I only buy the ratings book/CD when we are in the market for a new rig. It does allow you to narrow down the units to ones you are good with. Also lets you know what the average price paid by folks who bought one. When you are getting ready to spend $30-75K or more, it is a small price for that information and to protect yourself from being dazzled by some features and not paying attention to the important stuff.

We highly recommend!
oldjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2016, 06:02 AM   #16

Hey, at least he's raising the awareness level -----\

- he isn't saying RV is spiraling down...sheesh, one can't argue with the
the growth rate numbers of new RVs....but one sure can understand the
need to be aware of the fact that campground expansion or upgrading
sure isn't in lock step!

- one SURE can't argue with the fact that new RV repairs continue to
stay at the top of new RV owners.

- one can't argue with the fact that customer service complaints continue
to plague the manufacturers.

We've owned two "higher end" 5th wheels and a Winnebago View - all three
caused us months of grief while having integration failures and poor workmanship problems resolved....

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Personally, I think this particular editor is so over the edge with his 'complaints'. He's doing a 'one size fits all' critique on RVs, campgrounds and with his latest rant on people in campgrounds, WalMart usage, dumping techniques, etc. His statements are all about 'everyone' and 'everything'. He is really not credible.

There are many, many good RVs manufactured and many, many good people using them responsibly.

RVing is definitely not spiraling downward as he suggests. In fact, more and more are getting into Rving.
Jim_Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:33 AM   #17

Unfortunately, a list of manufacturers with few mistakes would be a very short list.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:46 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Bo View Post
Gordan - a spot on overview of the boundaries to consider when measuring an RV manufacturer's product usefulness and quality!

I am not speaking for anyone here but I'd limit the "measuring" to workmanship (the integration of the 3rd party components AND the construction of the RV) and customer support - that's going to be a big enuff effort!

I suspect most RVs, up to the middle range of high-end products, integrate like 3rd party/non-OEM components ---- in short, like microwaves and refers break at the same rate no matter which RV is being evaluated; I know that's not a 100% correct assumption BUT, for now, it's close enuff.

Great post!!! Jim R.
Jim;
We have been back for warranty and service work several times just up the road from Winnebago at Lichtsinn.

From my experience I believe WGO is top notch. While in for service the Lichtsinn tech diagnosed a problem with the jacks. All of the jacks were to be replaced but WGO parts did not have a full set. So the required jacks were taken from production and we were on the road the next day.

I feel overall the quality and care we received has validated our choice. Would we purchase another one - I hope not because we really like our MH. If we had to replace it we would seriously give Lichtsinn and WGO our primary consideration.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:40 AM   #19

Any publication listing the good or bad of a particular RV must also consider the selling dealer. As others have said, I read a lot of stories about people going back to the factory with their new MH and sitting in line to wait for repairs. What happened to their dealers support? We have had so few issues with our 2013 coach that I hardly recall them. Our dealer must have caught them in his PDI. How many of the problems reported, should or could have been handled by a good dealer? The dealer is supposed to be the "last line of defense" for the manufacturer. That's part of his responsibility. Our dealer can do 95% of what the factory can and sometimes do it better.

Maybe a list of the best servicing dealers in the country would be a better source for potential buyers. It's not always about the lowest price.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:13 PM   #20

IMHO the problems we hear of should never have happened regardless of who built the unit. Where did the pride in workmanship go anyway?
When these units are released for delivery they should be in perfect condition without any shortcomings. No one wants to pay for a sub standard unit and expect the dealer to massage it to useable condition. It seems as though the factories let these slugs go and then reimburse the dealer at a cut rate for warranty repairs. The dealers take a hit everytime they have to deal with a poorly built unit. Do you wonder why it takes so long to get an appointment to get warranty work done?
Quality control should start at the top of the pecking order. Any thing not up to snuff should be corrected before the unit is delivered to the dealer. While some small items might get "missed" anything major should be the full responsibility of the builder and not shoved off to the dealer. If the builder was required to pay the dealer's customer labor rate maybe they would do the build the right way the first time. At the very least the factory quality control inspectors should have an eye test annually.
Lynn
Old 08-01-2016, 07:39 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
IMHO the problems we hear of should never have happened regardless of who built the unit. Where did the pride in workmanship go anyway?
When these units are released for delivery they should be in perfect condition without any shortcomings. No one wants to pay for a sub standard unit and expect the dealer to massage it to useable condition. It seems as though the factories let these slugs go and then reimburse the dealer at a cut rate for warranty repairs. The dealers take a hit everytime they have to deal with a poorly built unit. Do you wonder why it takes so long to get an appointment to get warranty work done?
Quality control should start at the top of the pecking order. Any thing not up to snuff should be corrected before the unit is delivered to the dealer. While some small items might get "missed" anything major should be the full responsibility of the builder and not shoved off to the dealer. If the builder was required to pay the dealer's customer labor rate maybe they would do the build the right way the first time. At the very least the factory quality control inspectors should have an eye test annually.
Lynn
Here, here! I couldn't have said it better. X2 for the suggestion that a foreign competitor stepping in like Toyota did in the 60s and 70s would help too.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:54 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post

Maybe a list of the best servicing dealers in the country would be a better source for potential buyers. It's not always about the lowest price.
+1

I agree, since it's well known all the manufactures have qc issues, how about a list of outstanding service centers. Of course there may not be any of those from my experience so far.

Steve
StevL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:12 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
When these units are released for delivery they should be in perfect condition without any shortcomings.
Agree!

When any rv leaves the dealer everything should be in proper working order. There is no excuse for there to be a problems at delivery. After some road miles you expect some loose items but not any broken systems.

The 30 or so cars I've owned, the 15 boats I've had have never had failures at delivery. And when a problem has appearred weeks, months, years later, they have been tended to quickly and professionally.

Steve
StevL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:22 PM   #24

RV quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
Jim Bo

Given the RVIA is an industry organization, you have to be smoking something if you think they would get involved. Don't forget lots of the issues are from suppliers to the manufacturers and don't become apparent until the product reaches end users. They are also overwelmed by demand and are likely not as diligent as they should be to get product out the door. Think the industry should understand the loud and strong message from their customers that quality has to improve. If you want a new RV with no issues, even the highest end units are not problem free.
Personally, I wouldn't recommend RV'ing to anyone who isn't "handy" and willing to solve simple issues themselves. If you can't do that, you will likely have your RV parked mostly at a dealer awaiting service. I wouldn't get overly wound up by what you hear on service parking lots either. I do strongly agree with you that there is lots of room for quality improvement.
agree 100%
Old 08-01-2016, 02:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
Unfortunately, a list of manufacturers with few mistakes would be a very short list.
You have to look at this differently . . . the manufacturers with the most mistakes.

Several years ago I downloaded the entire NHTSA/ODI vehicle recall database (see: Office of Defects Investigation (ODI), Flat File Downloads | Safercar.gov | NHTSA) and loaded it into an Access database.

Great info! Through the recall data, you get to see how each manufacturer handled/caused/botched each recall.

At the time, Holiday Rambler topped the list of "bad". Typically bad design or workmanship errors over and over again.

That was then. It would be interesting to look again.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:50 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevL View Post
+1

I agree, since it's well known all the manufactures have qc issues, how about a list of outstanding service centers. Of course there may not be any of those from my experience so far.

Steve
Try this service review site. It only helps if people submit information.

RV Service Reviews
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase