Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2019, 04:22 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
List of side radiator coaches?

As my search continues for a new (used) coach, and I try to narrow the field, Im finding it difficult to focus on specifics because there is so little consistency in listing practices. So just curious if there is already a list of things like side radiator coaches, or even beter list by engine type and ratings. That's probably too much to hope for, but thought Id ask.

Thanks!
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2019, 05:58 PM   #2

There aren't a lot of chassis manuf out there any more (at least in the sub $1MM market) - ford is gas so forget that, As for diesel there is Spartan and Freightliner.
Spartan is always side radiator, Freightliner I think offers both.
If you're looking for used, back in the day there were a few Manuf that custom made their own chassis - hopefully someone can help fill in the manufs for me.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:40 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
There aren't a lot of chassis manuf out there any more (at least in the sub $1MM market) - ford is gas so forget that, As for diesel there is Spartan and Freightliner.
Spartan is always side radiator, Freightliner I think offers both.
If you're looking for used, back in the day there were a few Manuf that custom made their own chassis - hopefully someone can help fill in the manufs for me.
Monaco made the Camelot, Dynasty, Executives and Signature with side rad and engines going from 425 (ISL), 500 (ISM) to 625 (ISX)
Dynasty_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:47 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Both the Tiffin Allegro Bus and Zephyr are side radiators models available up to 600hp.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:52 PM   #5

All Foretravels from the mid 90's up were side radiator.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:44 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Any 02-09 Monaco product, includes Beaver, Safari, & HR with a tag axle (RR10S chassis) will be Side radiator.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:25 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I highly recommend the side radiator! I just had to have the alternator replaced and it took a total of 1.5 hr labor. The mechanic told me that if the radiator had been in the back it would have been pretty much a day's labor for 2 men!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:14 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
All American Coaches have side radiators.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:40 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Ok thanks all - lots to look at here. Also lookimg at Alpine.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:52 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
As my search continues for a new (used) coach, and I try to narrow the field, Im finding it difficult to focus on specifics because there is so little consistency in listing practices. So just curious if there is already a list of things like side radiator coaches, or even beter list by engine type and ratings. That's probably too much to hope for, but thought Id ask.

Thanks!
Don't know of a list, per say, but they're always on the higher end coaches.
This at least tells you, that you don't have to be inspecting everything else for quality in workmanship. In other words, just the fact that is has a side radiator, cuts through the chase, so that most other research, that one might deem necessary, has already been done for you. To put it another way, a side radiator chassis in the very last thing a manufacture spends money on for promoting sales, with a large RV and fireplace, being the very first thing.
So, in essence, they are made for the discriminating buyer and just like most every other high end product, that has much of it's quality and amenities hidden.
With us and our last purchase, we didn't have too much trouble narrowing it down to our budget, that would include having 3 slides and a 1 1/2 bath floor plan. This also included, staying out of the recession and later emission years, having a preferred, pre 07 CAT engine, Spartan chassis and with forgoing a tag axle.
Full body paint, Fiberglas roof, real wood cabinetry and framing...etc...etc...goes without saying with a side radiator chassis, so....
Hopefully this gives you some idea of where you want to go with your search and not to say, that everyone has the same values as we have.
I find that with some, newness is always first and foremost for meeting their budget, while we're the exact opposite.
As a side note, I think one can save a little money when purchasing an American built Coach, if it doesn't say American on it and ours does not, but that's for another story, concerning the Industry's history.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I highly recommend the side radiator! I just had to have the alternator replaced and it took a total of 1.5 hr labor. The mechanic told me that if the radiator had been in the back it would have been pretty much a day's labor for 2 men!
I'll echo that. I replaced my alternator on my CC, it was so easy working from the back of the engine.
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:01 PM   #12

I believe that Freightliner only offers the side radiator on chassis with the 8.9L engine or larger. The smaller engines only come with the rear radiator.
Ed Headington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:16 PM   #13

Side radiator, no compromise. The only way to go.
09 Dynasty Regal IV
ISM500
45ft., tag axle
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:39 AM   #14

My 2007 Itasca Horizon is side radiator also. It also has a basement air conditioning which in my opinion is far superior to roof models both in efficiency and noise. For me IF I were looking at a different motorhome, side radiator would be a must have. Not everyone agrees but that's OK, that's MY requirements.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiator