Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2017, 08:31 PM   #1

Lithium Batteries

Has anyone looked at the electric RV? Given the space available, and the load carrying capacity of 30 ft plus RVs, it seems to me that a electric RV would take the fuel sting away from RVs! Or is this still too far in the future?
Ric
paintergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2017, 08:44 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintergirl View Post
Has anyone looked at the electric RV? Given the space available, and the load carrying capacity of 30 ft plus RVs, it seems to me that a electric RV would take the fuel sting away from RVs! Or is this still too far in the future?
Ric
Not much of a sting with $2 a gallon gas, besides if your worried about money for gas, an RV is probably something one needs to not consider.

Besides, the battery operated cars have not even caught on, no infrastructure, and the range is limited.

So I would say yeah, to far into the future
Old 07-03-2017, 09:41 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Example: A Nissan Leaf can go 100 miles on a full charge with no AC running, no headlights, only 1 person in the car, and no hills on the route. For a price, Tesla can do better.

For a motorhome, multiply the weight by 10, reduce the range accordingly, increase the recharge time, and multiply the price by a huge factor. It's just not practical for a vehicle this size and weight.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Ric
A very long thread about that finally petered out a month or 2 ago. The short answer is that we are a very long way from either a Motor Home or cross country freight hauler running on batteries. The power needed is too high, the charging situation is terrible and the cost is ridiculous.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Example: A Nissan Leaf can go 100 miles on a full charge with no AC running, no headlights, only 1 person in the car, and no hills on the route. For a price, Tesla can do better.

For a motorhome, multiply the weight by 10, reduce the range accordingly, increase the recharge time, and multiply the price by a huge factor. It's just not practical for a vehicle this size and weight.
Although I agree that we are probably 7 to 10 years from seeing even a B class motorhome electrified I'll correct you on your leaf numbers.

A 30 KW leaf has no problems going 100 miles with AC on, two people in the car in BC landscape with headlights on. None. We do it all the time. I suppose it depends on the speed you travel but lets go with our average highway speeds where we live, 100 KMH (around 60 mph??) Both the Tesla 3 and Chevy bolt have about double that range if you need it. Both around 35-40 thousand bucks. Not a fan of the bolt though. Horrible seats, icky styling. Tesla goes into production this friday with full ramp up by December. Its not so much catching on that is the problem, it's more of a production thing.

Anyway, yah, we are a ways away from EV motorhomes. It would be nice though. A motorhome that drives like an electric car, Hoo yah.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:01 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Rough Estimate for EV Battery

Quote:
Ric
To give you an idea of the energy & cost needed for EV power, divide the vehicle's wt. by 10 to get the Watt-hr/mi. Then multiply by $0.50/Wh or $500/kWh.

Ex: Smallish RV = 10,000# -> 10%= 1,000Wh/mi or 1 kWh/mi

Now say you want 200mi range; that means 200kWh of battery X $500/kWh = $100,000 for the battery pack. (Just to put that in perspective; Tesla's big battery is 80kWh so we're talking 2.5 Tesla battery packs to get 200 mi. range.) And that's to complete discharge. Realistically, you'd only want to use 80% so your practical range w/a 200kWh pack would be 160mi. Also, this size pack would weigh ~4700#. I don't know of any RVs and can take on an additional ~50% of their normal weight. Sorry.
Regenerative Carbon Farmer, RVM #161
RE_Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:30 AM   #7

Lithium Batteries

To put a fine point on it there is 37.95 kWh in a gallon of diesel. My leaf has 24 kWH battery capacity. My motor home has a 100 gallon tank. Even at 10 mpg I get 1000 miles range. I can refill in about 15 min. My leaf takes about 4-5 hours to recharge with a 6.6 kW charger. I get about 80 miles of range. The new leaf gets 100 miles on a 30 kWh battery. For 1000 mile range I would need a 300 kWh battery. That battery would take 50 hours to charge with 6.6 kW charger (30 amps). Assuming we increase the charge rate is increased to 50 amps 12 kW it will still take 25 hours to charge.
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:54 AM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
Maybe not as far off as one might think...

https://www.proterra.com

City of Tallahassee has several of these. I see them all over town. The website claims 140 to 350 miles depends on fast charge or charge overnight.
They have a docking station in the rooftop so when the bus parks at a station to unload/load it's also recharging in less than 15 min.

Link to performance/range

https://www.proterra.com/performance/range/
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:31 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Wow that's great. Get a shell and get it over to an RV builder and outfit it. I wonder how big a generator/fuel cell on board to charge it up when boondocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
Maybe not as far off as one might think...

https://www.proterra.com

City of Tallahassee has several of these. I see them all over town. The website claims 140 to 350 miles depends on fast charge or charge overnight.
They have a docking station in the rooftop so when the bus parks at a station to unload/load it's also recharging in less than 15 min.

Link to performance/range

https://www.proterra.com/performance/range/
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:36 AM   #10

I would think the first Electrified RV's will be built on one of the EV van chassis. Currently none are available North America. Maybe the nissan 200 chassis. Depending on the market I would think 400 km would be an acceptable range for some of us. Higher speed CHADEMO will be the new norm for new installation for 2018 (150KWH ). You might see something like a camperized van on this kind of chassis in the next few years. Obviously not for everyone but might work for some of us. Kinda like EV's in general I suppose. We are an EV only family and our two EV's suit all our needs in all conditions. But we only drive about 16000 km per year. But although many of our friends and extended family would love to make the jump to EV they simply can't. Some need a truck or van, some travel a lot for work or family reasons. As the capabilities of EV's increase they will serve the needs of more and more users. And of course someday that will extend to RVers.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:07 AM   #11

What you are missing with inner city busing is regenerative braking recharging the batteries as you slow down. There is no regenerative charging worth mentioning at a steady cruise speed down the highway.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:25 AM   #12

Friend at work knows I am into solar, have lithium batts, own an RV and brought this to my attention:

Tesla Semi in the future...
Old 07-05-2017, 07:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
What you are missing with inner city busing is regenerative braking recharging the batteries as you slow down. There is no regenerative charging worth mentioning at a steady cruise speed down the highway.
You know that's something I never really thought of. Excellent post. Thanks for posting. We recent did a trip up the local ski hill. Maybe 40 km. Used a third of the battery going up. Kinda freaky watching the range meter drop. On the way back down we gained about half of the third back. Overall we don't find hilly terrain affects range that much. Now speed. There is a huge difference in range between 90 KMH and 110 KMH.

We use the cruise a lot.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:41 AM   #14

If you want to more than any sane person might want to check this:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/elect...-325890-5.html

Tags
batteries