Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2019, 05:51 AM   #1

Lithium Batteries

My wife and I just bought our RV and are thinking of replacing the Lead Acid batteries with Lithium Ion. The typical AH of the LA batteries are a little low for my liking and was thinking about switching all of them out for some 350ah or higher with a stronger inverter. Is this a good idea? Thoughts/experiences?

Thanks
Webeschrockn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2019, 05:59 AM   #2

Funny you should mention that, I was just looking at that, again, yesterday. I would do it right now if it wasn't for the $$.

That said.... they are coming down in price.

Yes.... for a lot more Ah per volume at a quarter of the weight it's a no brainer.

ONLY thing you're going to have to watch is the fairly narrow, and critical, charge voltage range. Not sure if my Magnum can be programmed to do that. Would have to talk to the Magnum people, but they are pretty accommodating.

This would be my choice.

https://www.lithiumion-batteries.com...on-battery.php

Right now I have 4-6V 225Ah lead acids, so 450Ah total with a max 50% discharge that's 225Ah.... Replacement cost about $800

The Li would give me a little more Ah for a couple of grand more in less space and a LOT less weight. Save some more money and put another one next to it and I'd be looking at 5-600Ah for half the weight..... I can run an AC off that for 6 hours....

I'm looking hard.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:05 AM   #3

Oscarvan,
Magnum worked for me with the correct remote panel.
Here is my upgrade with many details
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/16-b...de-323250.html
Old 03-04-2019, 06:51 AM   #4

Thanks

Thank you for the replies. On changing these out, say 6 AGM 60ah to 6 12v 300ah, any advice on what other equipment I'd need to safely upgrade? I have a 3000 watt inverter, currently. Would I need to upgrade this as well?
Old 03-04-2019, 06:55 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Lithium Batteries

I still have the original batteries in my rig, but I did notice a setting on my Magnum remote that was for Lithium batteries. Chances are yours has the capability. I believe my Magnum is the 2000W model.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:02 AM   #6

I replaced 8 LA with drop in Lithium. Has worked beautifully. Changed the batteries and the BIM for lithium. Added solar at the same time and got tax credit on all of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	batt install 2.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	236778   Click image for larger version

Name:	bim-li.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	402.0 KB
ID:	236779  

CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:59 AM   #7

Converter/charger

So I most likely won't have to replace the converter/charger that's already in there with a specific one set up for lithium battery systems?
Old 03-04-2019, 08:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webeschrockn View Post
So I most likely won't have to replace the converter/charger that's already in there with a specific one set up for lithium battery systems?
Many of the better inverter/chargers have the ability to have their charging profiles changed to the proper times and voltages, not sure if all converter/chargers can.
Battle Born has a full 10 yr warranty on their lithiums.
I you call them, they will tell you if your converter is compatible.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:21 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Just noticed that you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Just noticed that you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
WHAT,,,no keep her between the ditches??
CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:08 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

The wattage of the inverter is irrelevant - it only says how much wattage the inverter can produce when drawing power FROM the batteries. What you need to know is the max charge rate in amps and the charge profile (how the inverter/charger manages charging). Better chargers have multiple profiles and you can select which one is to be used. The life span of a lithium batter will likely be shortened somewhat is the charge profile is not close to the battery makers charging specs. Few inverter/chargers have Lithium charge profiles available, but maybe yours does.

Lithium batteries can be discharged more deeply than lead acid, so poplar wisdom is that you can use a lower total AH capacity to meet your needs. With lead acid, the rule of thumb is that about 50% of the rated capacity is available for use, whereas it is more like 70% or 80% for lithium. For example, if 400 AH of rated capacity (200 AH usable) is adequate for your needs using lead acid batteries, you can probably get the same results using 300 AH of lithium batteries (70% x 300 = 210 AH usable).

Another way to look at it is that you gain usable AH capacity if you replace lead batteries with lithium of the same rating.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:08 AM   #12

Are lithium batteries really $3K each? I had no idea they were that expensive. I guess swapping out the lead acid for lithium is not done for financial reasons.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Are lithium batteries really $3K each? I had no idea they were that expensive. I guess swapping out the lead acid for lithium is not done for financial reasons.
Well if you use fuzzy math, and keep the coach for long enough to see it - theoretically the Lithium will last longer. And if properly cared for, the cost of one set of Lithiums, should equate to 2 or perhaps 3 sets of wet batteries, (Probably 3 if wet cell. And 2 if good quality AGM deep cycle.).

The added benefits include:
-Faster recharging, less generator run time if boon docking
-Pure power all the way down to the BMS shutoff point. As Gary said, somewhere between 70-90% for most Lithium. (I see LifeBlue is at 83%, and that is the brand I'm considering.)
-Less weight for more AH's of power

Expensive going in, but, possibly a wash and or an advantage overall to Lithium as far as actual costs over the years.

AM Solar has great info on their website. Look at the bottom on the chart for Lithium and AGM. Discharge rate percentage, and Life Cycles. If you design your system bank to have some reserve for contingency, say discharge down to 50-60% SOC, the DoDo Life Cycles of say Battle Born - would jump from 3000 up to 5500-6000 cycles... (In a perfect environment. Suspect real world usage would be less. But even 4500-5000 cycles - spread that costs on Lithium out quite aways....).

https://amsolar.com/rv-solar-panel-k...-battery-banks

All that being said. If you're not into heavy boon docking, and or say go Park to Park with occasional off shore power usage. AGM's still pencil out well too!

Best to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:13 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I highly recommend that you watch this video which has some good info:

12amNSX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, lithium