Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-17-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
Living with towing a larger enclosed trailer

I am torn between three different types of A's. One is a Dp, one a gasser, and a gasser toy hauler. All are new and about 39 feet. We will be new to long distance traveling and I have read the virtues of the different engines and their cruising/towing abilities. My question is to those who tow a larger enclosed trailer. What do you do at campgrounds that don't have enough room for a 40 foot mh attatched to a 20-24 foot trailer? Or are there enough places that have pull through spots that have the length needed. I need the space to carry the toys and wing and if I don't get the toy hauler I am worried about making it a huge pain everytime we arrive at a campground. Thanks for your help. Bryan

brywit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
I'm at ocean lakes campground there is a DP pulling a matching trailer in a pull thru but most campgrounds don't have sites that long. As far as toy haulers and you no what they say about opinions mine is I would not want to sleep were my side by side has been can't stand gas smell.

2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:52 AM   #3

I was curious so ran a Google search on large rig rv parks and found several sites - I have no idea of how big or good they may be. Big Rig Resorts - Making your RV Travels Easier
Safe Travels
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
Thor Owners Club
another great site which lists if the park is big rig friendly is www.rvparkreviews.com
And whats great about this site is each park is graded by rv'ers.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:26 PM   #5
Thanks guys. I will definitely check out the sites. I would love to hear from people who do this, how hard it is to find campgrounds, and when you can't how hard is it to maneuver the trailer to a storage spot. We currently have a toy hauler trailer that we sleep in the storage room and has never been a problem at all (and my wife would sure let me know if it was). The toy hauler we are considering is a Canyon Star 3920. It has a separate bedroom so it shouldn't be a big deal, although the room is separated only by a door. Thanks again
brywit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #6

We've been pulling a 26ft enclosed car hauler behind our 41.5ft coach without any problems whatsoever. Most campgrounds / rv parks we visit are more than happy to try to acomodate us with a long pull through site or by providing us with a suitable area to park our trailer along with help in guiding us to park it. In fact, in many instances, the park owners or staff offer to go park it for us with their tractor or truck. Also, backing up with a 26ft trailer is much easier than many people think. I installed a back up camera on the trailer which helps a lot plus my wife is very good at guiding me as I back into any parking area.

We used to pull a Jeep behind our coach for years and we find that the big plus of the trailer set up is that it allows us to bring our little convertible with us, along with bikes, cart, other toys, and more junk than we should....... For us, that works quite well.

Good luck.
Gary & Johanne
2005 Mandalay 40E & 26ft Enclosed Car Hauler
Montreal, Canada
Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:59 PM   #7
To me the bigger the trailer the easier to see. The easier to see the easier to maneuver.

Had a TH for 4+ yrs and never had any toy odor.

Can not say about a campground with a rig as long as you've described
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:36 PM   #8
We've had all three of your choices. Gas coach; not again, unless it was a small class C, say 26' or less. Too little torque, too little chassis, too little storage, tanks, etc...
Class A toyhauler? No way. You pay too much to spend the room on garage space, when a decent trailer is way under $10k.

We thoroughly enjoyed our toy hauler. It was a 33' Weekend Warrior fifth-wheel. Towed it with our awesome Chevy duramax crew cab. Absolutely great rig. Never had a bad gas smell inside, and we carry five or six dirt bikes, including a couple two strokes. Gave the whole rig to our daughter & son in law when we bought our current diesel pusher.

We tow a 20' car trailer, with no problems. Then again, we seldom stay in campgrounds, and NEVER commercial kampgrounds. Not our style... We're usually either in the open desert, the mountains, or at a race track. OK, that's sort of a kampground. Most folks I see with the big hawg type of bikes tend to use an enclosed trailer, or they just actually use the bikes for touring, no motorcoach.
2012 Montana 3582RL
Automobilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:56 PM   #9
I had a 33' Nomad TH that I transported my sand rail in. After unloading, there was no gas smell. Actually, there was no gas smell even when it was in there.

When I camped at a CG in Prescott, AZ, I just parked it in the spot, un-hooked and parked my truck next to it.

2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote