Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2016, 09:19 AM   #1

LLC & Insurance, Finance & More? For those who use it!

I'm curious about difficulties found when using an LLC for a Class A Motorhome? I know that some lending institutions will not finance a coach where and LLC is used. Not necessarily a Montana LLC, widely discussed on this and other forums, but an LLC in general? As you know, many companies use them!

Are there also insurance companies who will not insure a coach where an LLC is used?

In general I'd like to know the problems you've found using an LLC and what you did to solve them?

It would be great if we could limit the discussion to these questions without getting into the moral and social implications of it all!

Thank you one and all
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2016, 11:50 AM   #2

You are correct about LLCs. When We went full time we created one but did not finance the Rv. Unit bought straight into llc. Used broker for insurance and still had some pretty good options.
Trapper2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:22 PM   #3

The best place I've found as a good resource for financing and insuring a motorhome held in an LLC is Destination Services in Missoula. They know all the ins-and-outs of financing and insuring for those using Montana LLCs and since they are licensed in just about all states, they can also insure those rare cases of motorhomes held in LLCs other than Montana. We've been using them for some time now for not only vehicle insurance but for property and liability policies also.

Destination Services
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:36 PM   #4

For insurance try this:

Miller Insurance Agency
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:09 PM   #5

It sounds like you've not found much of a problem using the LLC? That's great!
Old 08-13-2016, 07:24 PM   #6

We've used a Montana LLC legally and uneventfully for over a decade now and we're full-time. However, as you've already pointed out, this can be a very contentious topic on this forum so I'm not willing to discuss anything here again on the forum.

However, I am willing to discuss anything privately with you or anybody else who can be civil but I won't respond to anybody --either on the forum or in private-- who accuses me of breaking the law, cheating the government, being dishonest, fraudulently filing my taxes, etc., etc. ...nor obviously to those calling me a whole host of nasty names in private. I've been participating on this forum since 2003 and just about every thread I've participated on pertaining to this topic, I've run into those who have accused me of everything under the sun. There's also a whole host of just plain wrong information being given out pertaining to LLCs by those that come across as knowing a lot.

Using an LLC has narrow parameters one must adhere to if doing things above board and legally. If one can operate within that framework, it's a viable alternative. I'm not saying that I'm an expert nor know all there is to know but am satisfied that what we've been doing for over the past decade is both ethically and morally sound.

With that said, we have found that insurance, especially, is more expensive and also more restrictive but is more than off set by savings in other areas. I also agree with twogypsies that Miller Insurance in the Portland area used to have some good agents who I thought understood the LLC situation. I used them for a few years but got what I believed to be a questionable interpretation in two areas pertaining to the "garaging" and another issue so switched to Destination several years ago.

...ah, I guess I've said enough, LOL. I'll go away now.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:29 PM   #7

Thank you one and all for your input. It's an interesting topic of discussion and one I am sure we will so more of. I especially appreciate the links to insurance, finance and companies specializing in LLC's. It's nice to know you can contact Montana legal services as well.

Tags
insurance