Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2015, 01:06 PM   #1

LLC's

Can anyone tell me if there is a definitive list of Montana LLC companies anywhere, or any recommendations of one of them. We are UK residents but will be buying an rv in florida and using it for 6 months around the south East States to start with. so we want to set up an LLC and register the vehicles through that.
Thanks for any info.
wadders is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2015, 01:11 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This could be interesting. Your situation, assuming you don't own any property or have any income from the US, might make the LLC more appealing with less potential traps.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:23 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi wadders,
The easiest way to begin your adventure is to Google "montana llc attorney". The Bennett Law office seems to be very popular. Something to consider is these attorneys can counsel you only on Montana Law.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:27 PM   #4

The attorneys who seem to have the best write-ups is Bennett. I think you need to look around and talk to some attorneys and then make a choice.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:48 PM   #5

LLC

Contact Montana Corprate been around for many years,
can set you up in days.
RT 41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:31 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One word of caution.. The idea of the Montana LLC is to cheat the tax man.

A few states have decided to do something about that.. And those who they went after now wish they had never heard of Montana.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:19 PM   #7

wa8yxm

"The idea of the Montana LLC is to cheat the tax man.", is just not factual. I understand that this is your opinion, but please...The best advise that 'wadders' can receive is to contact attorneys in Montana that specialize in forming LLCs.
gilbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:27 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Cheating the tax man or avoiding taxes is illegal in all states. Reducing taxes by following the rules is not.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:35 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbour View Post
wa8yxm

"The idea of the Montana LLC is to cheat the tax man.", is just not factual. I understand that this is your opinion, but please...The best advise that 'wadders' can receive is to contact attorneys in Montana that specialize in forming LLCs.
Those Montana lawyers will disavow you as soon as your home state comes after you for back taxes , interest , and penalties.
I am getting ready to write Illinois a check for over $12000. I have been in touch with Illinois Dept of Revenue. There is no way I can legally avoid sales tax.
lrose44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:52 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Everyone please remember the OP is a citizen and resident of the UK. This presents an interesting change from the usual USA citizen making this request.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:55 PM   #11

I see you are from the UK. Lot's of good advice from the "US" people over here and the comments about problems are true. My attorney told me of an example of someone who was told it was OK.....and the firm from MT that set them up was no help when his state tested him. Attorney's fees, actual payment to the state, plus interest and penalties.....30 grand plus. Get advice from an impartial party - not a MT firm that does it for a living and then if the advice is to use a MT LLC. Your unbiased advisor can advise you on a MT firm.
DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:35 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi, first off want to wish you all the best of your endevour. Let me preface what I am about to say with the fact that I have never looked into the Montana LLC. thing.
I am a Brit and came to the US in 04, but didn't have an address (here) so I drove on my UK drv lic, but I was unable to register a vehicle until I had a US license. Also in MA where I was originally the insurance companies would not insure me till I had a US license. So I don't want to be a Debbie Downer but wanted you to know I faced some challenges with just getting a car here. The other thing I would say is that once I had a US license the insurance company were very excepting of documentation from my UK insurer showing my driving record from a claims perspective.
Hope you manage to get it all sorted out.
nij_tp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:47 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Cheating the tax man or avoiding taxes is illegal in all states. Reducing taxes by following the rules is not.
Gordon, you get the "GOLD " Star for today
Well stated........nothing needed to add.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:50 PM   #14
KIX

Wadders, From personal experience Bennett Law Office (Google them,) in Missoula, Montana provides excellent service. They can advise you on legal issues regarding a Montana LLC regardless of your state of residence. There is a huge difference between EVADING taxes and AVOIDING taxes. Avoiding taxes is NOT illegal.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote