Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #1

Locating Blower Motor

Hi All,

The blower motor on the dash has not been working for a while, and I'm trying to find the problem. The first thing is to locate it and make sure it is getting 12V power. This is for a '91 Fleetwood Southwind Class A 36-ft. I have been following these directions:

Replacing Dash AC Blower Motor, 1990 Southwind

I have removed the plywood access panel and removed the metal cover behind it, but it looks like I'm bumping into the heater core or condenser? Here are a few pics on what I'm looking at in different areas:

I would really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction for the next step.

Thanks,

sjkted
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130808_172738.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	43917   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130808_172746.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	256.1 KB
ID:	43918  

Name:	IMG_20130808_172759.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	43919   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130808_172834.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	43920  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2013, 09:38 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I believe the plywood panel mentioned in the other thread is the one visible in your top right photo. Have you found the 2 wires mentioned 'behind the glove box' that power the fan? If so, I'd use jumper wires from another good 12 v source and see if the fan runs. The sound will then help you locate it. The fan is usually inside the RV, not under the hood. All the vent hoses are coming off the box that contains the fan, heater core, and evaporator.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I believe the plywood panel mentioned in the other thread is the one visible in your top right photo. Have you found the 2 wires mentioned 'behind the glove box' that power the fan? If so, I'd use jumper wires from another good 12 v source and see if the fan runs. The sound will then help you locate it. The fan is usually inside the RV, not under the hood. All the vent hoses are coming off the box that contains the fan, heater core, and evaporator.
No, I can't see any 12V wire from inside the coach to the compartment behind the plywood panel. There's a bunch of wire in general behind the glove box. Without seeing the blower motor, I wouldn't know how to isolate them.

On my pic of the box in the hood area, there are two heater hose lines hooked up to what is probably the heater core and behind that there is some 12V wiring and what I think may be the blower motor, but without removing the heater core, there's only about 1" of clearance to see anything.

I've had another person go inside the coach and try to poke a screwdriver through to the box in the hood area, but I can't see it from the outside. I'm just not sure where to go next.

I might end up buying one of those snaking camera systems and try to find the blower motor with it before pulling anything else off.

sjkted
Old 08-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
I've Googled your fan, all references point to behind carpeted plywood panel on passenger side. The fan looks like this: FOUR SEASONS 4-Seasons Blower MotorOE replacement - JCWhitney

I also saw mention that there is a fuse and a relay controlling power to the fan. The relay is in the Ford fuse box under the hood. You might check for them and try wiring directly to the large terminals on the relay to see if the fan works. The relay should click when dash fan control is turned on. The good news, when you finally expose the plenum, the fan is only held on by 3 screws.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-09-2013, 11:08 PM   #5

It appears that although the post I referenced is for a '90 Southwind which is only one year difference, it is for a P37 chassis and mine is a P30. This is a screenshot from the Chevy P30 manual.

On the inside metal cabinet it looks like the evaporator coil.

On the outside hood cabinet it looks like the heater core. You can see the two lines as referenced in the pic.

I think the post I referenced probably had easier access because there was no dash air conditioning system. Apparently on these years it was an option.

Unfortunately, the P30 guide has absolutely nothing to say about the placement of the blower motor -- only that it is somewhere in this general location.

I think either way I'm going to have to pull either the evaporator or the heater core to get in the middle unless someone knows a trick or another way.

sjkted
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	heater_core.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	43923  
Old 08-10-2013, 12:16 AM   #6

This apparently is the blower motor resistor. The connector type looks like what I remember for the 12V wires disappearing behind the heater core. I might be able to get my cell phone into that area in order to snap a picture. If I am able to ID this as the blower motor resistor, would the blower motor be right next to it?

sjkted
Old 08-10-2013, 12:21 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Sorry, I thought it was a Ford. That does look like the resistor pack. They are usually in the plenum so that the fan blows across them to keep them cool.

Bob & Donna

Tags
cat