RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2019, 01:36 PM   #1

Talking Location of OBD2 port

After several days of looking I cannot find the OBD2 port. I have a 1999 Georgetown 32.5 on a FORD V10. I have looked everywhere including in the engine compartment and the front.

I want to connect a ScanGage II onto that port.
Any help, anyone please.

Thank you.

adowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2019, 01:42 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
adowen-

First off, welcome to iRV2!

Second, you should add a "signature" to your profile. It contains whatever info you want; most people put info about their coach there, so they don't have to type it into each message. Instructions for adding a signature are here.

Look on the steering column, right-hand (passenger) side, about two feet off the floor. That is where Ford has attached it for many model-year F-53 chassis.

The coach builder has the option of moving it to a more convenient place, such as attached to the lower edge of the dash. Some do, some don't. On my coach, it was in the Ford-installed place. I moved it.

l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:08 PM   #3
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the forum..

Stand on your head with a good flashlight and look up under the dash between the steering column and the gas pedal.. They usually mount it on the steering column and then the builder moves it to a more convenient location. It probably has a cover on it so will be hard to see.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:19 PM   #4

I have a 2003 Tiffin Phaeton and I can't find the OBD-II. Any help is appreciated!
Tanyou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:10 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

As others have said, it should be near the steering column.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:52 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanyou2 View Post
I have a 2003 Tiffin Phaeton and I can't find the OBD-II. Any help is appreciated!
You don't have one. OBDII is gasoline only. Diesels have something else.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:46 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanyou2 View Post
On a diesel - you're look for a port for one like these - on mine it's green by the drivers left foot

The ScanGaugeD works with most 1987 and newer large diesel over-the-road vehicles. The ScanGauge is equipped with a unique dual connector cable designed to accommodate both the J1939 protocol with a 9-pin diagnostic port as well as the J1708 protocol with 6-pin diagnostic port.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScanGaugeD_8733.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	267410   Click image for larger version

Name:	ScanGaugeD_8727.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	267411  

Old 11-19-2019, 08:46 PM   #8

My Diesel truck has one.....
Old 11-19-2019, 09:01 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by adowen View Post
After several days of looking I cannot find the OBD2 port. I have a 1999 Georgetown 32.5 on a FORD V10. I have looked everywhere including in the engine compartment and the front.

I want to connect a ScanGage II onto that port.
Any help, anyone please.

Thank you.
Ford delivers the f53 chassis with the obd11 connector screwed to the right side of the steering wheel support. The connecter has a 2 foot wiring harness. The body builder is supposed to remove the connecter and reinstall it at a place that is accessible to the owner. Most times the lazy body builders just cover it up.The best way to find it is, look just to the side of the gas pedal. You will see a wire bundle on the firewall. Follow the bundle up the firewall. It will split. One side goes to the gas pump reset. Follow the other side to the obdll connector.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Because that engine is very popular in light duty truck.
Heavy duty trucks don't support OBDII.

By emissions law the OBDII connector is always within a foot of the steering wheel. It might have a cap over the parallelogram connector that might be hiding it.

Diesel Pushers many times have a connector at the base of the steering column, and another in the engine bay to make it easier to connect and use a wired diagnostic tool.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:51 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
The OBDII connector is also used for other modules such as air bags, ABS, HVAC, Trailer Brakes, etc
Old 11-21-2019, 10:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randalpho View Post
The OBDII connector is also used for other modules such as air bags, ABS, HVAC, Trailer Brakes, etc
Yes. There are as many as 30-40 CAN controllers in a modern auto. Most of those modules support diagnostics. Most of those diagnostics are "gated" (networked) to the diagnostics connector (OBDII in gas autos).

But, just because the data is accessible there, doesn't mean a $20 scan tool dongle is software sophisticated enough to know how to access and interpret that data. OBDII legislation only covers standardization of certain emissions related failures. The rest of modules (which is the great majority of the data) aren't covered in that legislation so the scan tool software would have to have very detailed understanding of that particular CAN bus messages and transform formulas. Typically only the OEM's scan tools have this sophistication and they are very costly due to the amount of work to test and verify these functions.

I put scan tools into four buckets: Generic OBDII dongles ($20-$100: Amazon.com), Professional 3rd party scan tools (SnapOn, Ease, others: $3000), OEM dealer scan tools (WiTech, GMTech2 etc: $10,000) and Engineering tools (not available for sale).

Tags
cat