Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2016, 11:08 AM   #15

Locked out

I keep a long putty knife where I can get to it from outside,use like slim Jim between frames slide up or down to push lock open.
Wrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2016, 06:46 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
So have you taken the lock apart, what caused the original problem?
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
So have you taken the lock apart, what caused the original problem?
My son is going to come over and help me Tomorrow. Younger eyes. I'll post what we find.
Texasranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasranger View Post
I'm in. I used the method of drilling a hole.
I drilled a 1/8 hole about 2 inches below lock latch at a angle as In other post.
Used a small stiff wire and opened latch. Skinny neighbor crawled thru and opened. I'll just patch hole with black sealant. It will be there if ever needed again. Now to call Winnebago for warranty replacement.

What about putting a rubber plug/cap from auto parts store in case of future entry problem?
2NewRVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:02 PM   #19

I bought a small tube black siclone and plugged it up. Showed wife..she couldn't find where I drilled. Easy to push wire thru if ever need again.
Texasranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:28 PM   #20

We have a 2008 Damon Challenger. It has Tri Mark door latch and lock combo. The original one broke and the only way I could open the door was to remove the trim inside the door by lock. I then bent a thick wire/rod 90 degrees and pushed the bolt in the striker plate back. I found the bolt had broke. I went and bought a new Tri Mark T 507 and installed it. About 1 year later the same thing happened again. I took the trim off the inside door frame again and used the same bent thick wire/rod and again popped it open. The same thing happened the bolt broke cheep pot metal. I went and bought a 2nd one and installed it. I found that when I closed the door the bolt that goes into the striker plate to hold the door closed was not supported in the door frame when you closed the door and the pressure of the spring pushing the bolt all the way out with so much force it breaks the bolt. I took a long wood screw and screwed it in to the door jam so when the bolt catches the striker plate latch it can't go any farther into the striker plate hole. that way the bolt never gets slammed all the way out by the internal spring. Its been a year so Ill see if that was the problem. I contacted Tri Mark and got no response. My concern is if you had to get out of the MH quickly or you get out to add fuel and can't get it or out.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:29 PM   #21

The OEM TriMark electronic latches are known for this problem. One of the first tips I ever received from an RV technician was to always leave a window unlocked for emergency entry.
He said he has been locked out several times, right there in the repair shop.
The solenoid inside the door usually fails in the locked position. I had to disconnect the solenoid and lock the door with the dead-bolt until the entire TriMark system was replaced, my OEM system was obsolete_no parts available.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:30 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
One of the first tips I ever received from an RV technician was to always leave a window unlocked for emergency entry.
Dittos. I alway leave my drivers side window unlocked just for that reason.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote