Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
MSL

Locking gas cap

I have a 2007 Fourwinds winds port. V-10 engine. I have gone to the usual auto parts stores and get a glazed over look when I ask for a locking gas cap for a Motorhome. Then I tell them it's a Ford V-10 and we still can't find the right one. Two different RV parts stores say negative. It can't be this hard, I have an 80 gallon fuel tank and I'm not into supplying others with free gas. Any suggestions?
MSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #2

I suggest you don't do it. Crawling under a MH is rather easy. The fuel tank is rather obvious. A sharp object will punch a hole in the tank, they can still steal you fuel, and you will be left with a big repair bill. If someone is really going to siphon out the gas, let them. 35 years, never had that problem, and I live in Los Angeles.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:42 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Interesting. I lost one of my fuel caps, so I took the other one to a local NAPA store so they could match it, and all they could give me was a locking cap, which I didn't want.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:33 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Locking fuel caps are to keep semi-honest people from doing dishonest things... If someone is determined to take the fuel, they will.

Having said that, I wouldn't make it too easy for someone to siphon off gas. A locking cap would be the way to prevent this..

I got a locking cap for our motorhome by bringing the motorhome to the auto parts store. I sought out an older gent who true to form didn't take the "its not on the database so we don't have it" approach... He used his head, measured the filler on the rig and checked several caps for the right fit. He found the right one in no time at all...
Old 07-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #5

I have a locking gas cap and as someone else said they can always punch a hole in the gas tank, so what I have is I went to Harbor Freight and purchased one of there driveway alarm systems which you can get for under $20.00 and you can set this so if someone tries
to steel your gas the alarm will go of in your rig or when I'm home I have the monitor in my bedroom. cheap Insurance.
newf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi MSL,
Forget telling the parts person what the cap is for. If you have to tell them something, tell them it is for a hand rebuilt vehicle. Take one of the caps into the auto parts store and have them match it with a locking cap. I've had locking caps on all my vehicles since the 1960's. For those that believe the punch a hole in the tank story, the nay sayers have and will always be there to provide a stories that, for me, are not realistic.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalynzoo View Post
I suggest you don't do it. Crawling under a MH is rather easy. The fuel tank is rather obvious. A sharp object will punch a hole in the tank, they can still steal you fuel, and you will be left with a big repair bill. If someone is really going to siphon out the gas, let them. 35 years, never had that problem, and I live in Los Angeles.
We had a locking gas cap on the company bus. TWICE someone cut the rubber hose from the cap to the tank. Cost us a lost trip and about $150 each time PLUS the gas.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I took the MH to the auto parts store - they provided me a few they thought would fit and I went out to the parking lot and tried them. Found it in a couple tries. Bought the one, re-boxed the others. Done.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:48 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
On our recent trip, we found the "Check Engine" light would come on and off at random times. It turned out to be the gas cap. A trip to a local WalMart netted us a nice locking gas cap for $10. The new cap stopped the Check Engine light from coming on...

Thad said, if you tend to park over night at non camp ground areas a locking gas cap is always a good idea
Wb2IVU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:19 AM   #10

Before you go to a parts store find out I if you need a "vented"/"vacuum" or "non-vented" cap for your MH, (the wrong one can/will cause problems).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:55 AM   #11

Solving the Gas Cap QUestion

With modern emission control systems, it is important that you understand whether you need a vented, or a non-vented gas cap. This is important to ensure a positive pressure in your fuel tank, and proper performance of vapor capture system. Some of you may have experienced driving away from a fill-up and then getting a check engine light because your cap was loose. The other two considerations are: size, and a threaded or a non-threaded base.

Stant is the largest 3rd party supplier of gas caps in the U.S., so it is pretty easy to figure out which cap you need. A quick trip to the parts store proved that my 2006 Bounder (Workhorse 8.1L W22) was not listed in any of the databases or books. But I could quickly see the size and that my cap was non-threaded.

To solve the vented/non-vented question, look at the commercial truck list for your Ford or GM engine and chassis of the same year. The ECU will most likely be identical, and have the same emission requirements.

Mine was quickly identified as a Stant 10511 (locking) and a Stant 10841 (non-locking). However, these are hard to find over-the-counter. I ordered the non-locking from Amazon. It was about $8 and I had it the next day. Once I confirmed the fit and a test drive confirmed the emissions match, I ordered the locking cap from Amazon ($14).

Many happy miles since...
Rextrons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:26 PM   #12

I went the reverse way. A lot of diesels, maybe all, have locking fuel fill doors. I took out the locks and have them with a manual twist knob. Needing the key is just one more little PIA I don't need and the locking isn't worth the cost of the damage to overcome it.

Tags
gas