Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2019, 07:09 PM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
I think most of the people who only drive 4 hours are retired folks. We are now retired, and we generally do 4-6 hours on a distance travel day. For us that is 200-300 miles a day. I have done multiple 400 mile days, but I don’t like it. Sometimes it is the right thing to do though. Back in the days we were taking vacations we routinely did 600 mile days with a travel trailer. For us, 12 hours and 600 miles got us from the Midwest to the Rockies, and it was worth it. We would leave at 5:00 am with the kids in their night clothes, and arrive around supper time. After a good sleep, we were ready to go. An easier way was to leave after work on one day, drive 100-150 hours, then finish the trip the next day. BTW, we both drive.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2019, 07:52 PM   #30

Freightliner Owners Club
We are in the retired group so no rush to get going in the AM and like to stop early to mid afternoon. Try and go by the rule of 3's. 300 miles, 3 hours or 3:00 PM, whichever comes first. That being said, in my younger days I would drive from Boston to Ft. Lauderdale, Fl straight thru in 23 hours. One's age has a lot to do with it.
Getting there is half the fun!
golfman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:18 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
I try to go with the rules of 3 also. If I’m feeling energetic, I’ll extend it, but the norm is one of the 3’s. I’m 65 driving a 40’ pulling a Jeep.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:19 PM   #32

Of all discussions relating to RV’s this one is probably the one that elicits the greatest range of opinions. So many variables come in to play and every individual has different thresholds of comfort or should I say discomfort. Practical advice concerning long distance travel is less about a persons determination to cover so many miles as it is about how a person can cover as many miles without becoming overly exhausted or exposed to unsafe driving circumstances.

A few guidelines I have tried to keep in mind when traveling as follows;

1. Always plan my route to take the local traffic volume into account, in another words stay away from major hubs at peak travel hours. As in driving from DC to Richmond on #95 on a Friday afternoon would be a real pain.

2. Be flexible in your routing, use a a gps program that takes real time traffic info and reroutes you around problem areas, make sure your gps knows your vehicle limitations as far as weight and height etc.

3. I always do a little research about the highway/road conditions and potential activities that may affect my intended route. Nothing to time consuming, just basic highway reports, weather conditions etc.

4. This one may not work for everyone but sometimes I find that the only way to get from point A to point B is by traveling at night. The highways are ruled by the big rigs late at night, the law doesn’t tell them when to drive just how many hours consecutively, sometimes late at night I have found myself just devouring the highway while running with a bunch of long distance haulers. They run smart and with respect, something you won’t see at rush hour with a bunch of commuters.

5. Another one that won’t necessarily work with everyone but I have to say when I finally took ownership of a 500 ISM Cummins in a sweet Roadmaster chassis the road suddenly got flatter and smoother. Nothing is more exhausting than fighting your rig up and down the mountains in the company of other big rigs, it makes every mile seem like 10. Now I take it up to cruising speed and pop the controller and focus on the road and traffic.

6. Traveling west is always going to be more difficult, the prevailing wind coming down the eastern slope is relentless, the wind usually picks up in the morning as the sun heats the earth, going west it seems we are always pushing a headwind. Running east can feel like a dream once your face is turned away from that relentless wind pressure.

7. Last but not least is being well rested and comfortable, make sure your rig is roadworthy and everything is secured(including your passenger).

Everyone will get different traveling mileage, using different road strategies can help create a safer and more productive driving experience. Above all we want to travel safely and arrive safely.
stuccosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:32 PM   #33

We travel between 400-500 a day, try to leave around 430-5 am. I Love driving and when we land cant wait for the Beer or a restaurant to go to. drive a v10 37' pulling jeep or motorcycle on trailer. just love drive a MOHO, speed around 68
RideAHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:36 PM   #34

[QUOTE=Dark Sky;4676311]Our 40 ft fiver and 1 ton dually was an absolute breeze on the highway, but our 40 ft DP with Jeep is a handful, especially with crosswinds.
Either way, I like to plan for 350 miles or less which comes out to about 7 or 8 hours. Like everyone else, I like to get off the road and set up well before beer-thirty when the sun goes down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
Depends on what I'm driving. My dually pulling a triple axle toy hauler wears me out because it is not at all a smooth ride but we still do 500 mile days. When I'm moving a diesel pusher a 500 hundred mile day is nothing.
WOW, I think this may be the first time I have seen two entirely different sentiments on driving a 5’er and a DP. I am sure there reasons for the different viewpoints, they just aren’t discussed.
stuccosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:37 PM   #35

I’ve pulled 14 hours before. Wake up and hit the road when it’s still dark and roll on. I prefer the get there and be done method.

My toad is a f150. The only time you notice it is when maneuvering in truck stops or merging in traffic. No extra stress really.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:56 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
That's with YOU driving.

Wouldn't it depend on how fast he's going? And how long his breaks are?

No, that's driving the posted interstate speed limit and taking a 30 to 45 min break every 4 hours. Try it I bet you find I'm very close to actual drive times.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:12 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuccosteve View Post
Of all discussions relating to RV’s this one is probably the one that elicits the greatest range of opinions.
Not even close. First take any thread that starts with “What’s the best...”
Those will be the top 100+ opinion getters.

Then move on to Gas or Diesel. Truck or coach, doesn’t matter.
Tire age.
Tire pressure.
Tire brand.
Driving speed.
Overweight towing setups.
Solar.
Lithium or lead acid.
Class A or 5er.
New or used.
Finance or pay cash.

To name a few.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:59 PM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAHD View Post
We travel between 400-500 a day, try to leave around 430-5 am. I Love driving and when we land cant wait for the Beer or a restaurant to go to. drive a v10 37' pulling jeep or motorcycle on trailer. just love drive a MOHO, speed around 68

So you’re the one that wakes me up in the mornings!! [emoji12]
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:07 PM   #39

Thanks to all who posted. I will be better informed on how I feel after the weekend and am holding off making reservations/setting the calendar until I arrive home. I am surprised not a lot of folks made mention of the chassis difference factor between G & D and it's relevance with fatigue/wear and tear on your mind and body. Perhaps it's not that big a deal?
richp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:07 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfman8 View Post
Try and go by the rule of 3's. 300 miles, 3 hours or 3:00 PM, whichever comes first. That being said, in my younger days I would drive from Boston to Ft. Lauderdale, Fl straight thru in 23 hours. One's age has a lot to do with it.
Getting there is half the fun!
Do you ever get to 300 miles before you get to 3 hours?
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:08 PM   #41

In Oct, we run from our WI home to our AZ home, a 2,000 mile trip. In May, we make the return trip. Our coach is 43' towing an Avalanche. We try to do it in four days, but sometimes need 4-5 hours of the fifth day depending on weather. We used to tow a 26' enclosed trailer with a combined length of 73'. Our coach is so easy to handle that quite often, I wasn't ready to stop after 500 miles. We used to be able to run further, but I do all the driving and I am closer to 80 years old than 70 so it takes longer to get going in the mornings.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:37 AM   #42

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I've done 400 to 500 regularly and 700 when I needed to. Going to head to Iowa from WA next month and plan on 350 to 400 per day so I don't overdo it.
HWH?..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote