RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2019, 03:09 PM   #1

Long Distance Driving in RV

I am going to pick up my new to me 52 ft combo rv/toad (38 ft rv/14 ft toad) this weekend and will soon learn how I feel after a five hour drive but wondered if 10 hour days are difficult to manage. I take road trips every summer in my C6 Vette Vert sometimes driving upwards of 14 hours in a day. I know this sounds a bit premature but when beginning to book our summer travels have noticed parks are filling up fast where we wish to go and want to start making reservations ASAP. Just curious what is the max most are driving in a day. Also, does having a toad (either car, boat or motorcycle trailer for potential usage) add to any stress or any other concerns?

Thanks much for your replies.

richp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2019, 03:13 PM   #2

I think most people average 4-6 hours. Stopping before dark reduces stress. A Toad will only add the stress of hooking up correctly, and anything the manufacturer says you must do on the road (start/run thru gears etc). We always stop in the first several miles to double check things.

Some States (California) have reduced speed limits while towing.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:22 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Traveling in a Corvette, especially a C6 or a C7 (weíve got a C6 Coupe) for long periods is not near as tiring as driving an RV towing another vehicle both mentally or physically.
We try not to plan more than 5-6 hours a day with our Class C towing a Jeep Liberty.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:30 PM   #4

We do what we call "necessary blasts" usually across the central part of the country where the views consist of cows, hogs, corn, hay and windmills. When we do we get nice and rested, rise early and go. We will normally boondock over night someplace (usually picked beforehand) and do the same thing the next day. These aren't short days, I'm talking putting 1200 miles behind us by the end of a weekend. I work full-time from the road and sometimes don't have the luxury of smelling the roses.

It does help if your spouse can also do some of the driving during this time. So far the longest we've gone is just over 1200 miles from Colorado Springs, CO to Lexington, KY in a weekend. This next summer we're going to be heading from upper MN to Bryce Canyon on one that will take us 4 days with 3 of these days being 500+ miles but it will be while I take time off so we're not hindered by that.

We toad a Mini Cooper S Roadster 4-down and can hook it up in about 5 minutes so we don't worry about that too much.

It's a crazy thought to most that can slowly cover these distances but "We gots things to see and no time to waste!"
Old 03-13-2019, 03:33 PM   #5

Rode tripping in our car we have done many 16 - 17 hour days behind the wheel. In the coach with the towed I start early in the morning and try to keep it less than 10 hour so we have time to find decent places to park for the evening. Our coach is big enough I donít feel it back there. Big difference from when we were towing the liberty with the class c.
gcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:40 PM   #6

Thanks for the responses - please keep them coming. I have reservation for Pennecamp in Key Largo for early September (going to also visit family in Daytona and check out Fort Wilderness as well) which will be my main road trip. My initial planning showed between 500 - 650 miles a day but I guess the timing on Mapquest is based on a car at speed limits so maybe the 10.5 hour max time listed is incorrect. I guess I should add a day each way to my travels.

I also note from the past Vette road trips you build up a bit of a rhythm where you can drive a bit farther each day - wonder if the same would apply to the rv?
richp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:42 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
The answer to this question will ultimately lie with you and how your combo RV/toad handle. I have a serious passion for the road, and enjoy driving all night long when I can really enjoy the traffic-free, or at least less traffic interstates. So while a lot of people here will tell you something like 4 or 6 hours, or to stop before dark, this is when I get into the groove. (There is nothing wrong with that advise, it's just that I am in the minority).

Most of our trips will start between 8 & 10 at night, and will end at our destination if it is around 1,000 miles or less. The key to night driving is to not get sleepy in the first place (also do not fixate on oncoming headlights, especially high beams, which will tire night eyes), so I will stop every 3 or 4 hours and catch a 1/2 hour nap, then do a complete walk-around inspection before pulling off again. Been doing this since our mid 30's children were in their single digits... didn't have to worry about all the restroom and food stops in those pre-RV days.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:46 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
We regularly do 10 - 13 hours days when we need to just 'get there'.
It's not really a problem. Our coach is not one of those that induces white knuckled driving, I'm sure that helps. It's probably not as effortless to drive as a Vette, but it's not that hard either.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:47 PM   #9

I tend to fall into the 6-8 hrs/day of driving max. I like to have time to park and get set up without stumbling in the dark.

As far as it goes though, a lot of your comfort about the drive time will depend on weather, traffic, and roads. Fighting a good side-wind, pouring rain, heavy traffic, mountain grades etc can make a day feel very long and tiring. A nice sunny day on an flat interstate is boring but easy to drive.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:50 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
I'm the only driver in our family... and 200 to 220 miles is my sweet spot driving 40' diesel bus pulling jeep. Life is short and i don't like to be tired and exhausted with so much to lose...
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:53 PM   #11

What your driving makes a difference. Last summer we did 4 consecutive 500+ plus mile days between Michigan and Oregon. About 9-10 hours each day with both of us sharing the driving. And a 400 mile, 8+ hour day from Vale, OR to Medford, no freeways. It isnít the best way to do it but we werenít exhausted and were able to set up and wander around the campground, head into town for dinner and enjoy a quiet evening.

Friends of ours with a different coach are waxed after six hours. We prefer to drive 4-6 hours and then stay for a few days or more. Sometimes you just have to get from A to B.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:10 PM   #12

It always makes me fear the hiways when I read the long days desk drivers want to run in their RV. Think about it. A pro starts his day inspecting the vehicle. No more than 14 hours later, he has to be parked and can not move for 10 hours. And of the 14, no more than 11 can be driving.
Think about it, where you want to spend your vacation is say 900 miles away. You bust thru, get there in one day. The first day of your "vacation" you are wore out, spend most of it sleeping and likely in a bad mood. Find someplace to stop, spend a few hours having fun, get to your destination a day later and skip the bad day...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:18 PM   #13

I haven't toad anything yet but have driven several trips with just the motorhome from 1 hours to 9 hours and 9 hours is about as much as i would like to do in 1 day. and ill be honest. im not sure id want to finish a 9 hour day and be happy to climb behind the wheel and do another 9 hour day the next day.

6 hour days are much much easier. By that 8 or 9 hours you just want to get somewhere and sleep. after 6 hours i still have a little energy to do something.

I am contemplating taking the RV from Ohio to Texas for an extended weekend trip. yeahhh i said extended weekend. I have a cousin who is getting married and I am wanting to go for the wedding. I have 3 in my family, my dad, my cousin his wife and their two kids all wanting to go and after pricing plane tickets, and doing the math on car vs rv. it looks like it is going to be rv but with a couple people flying. its a 20 hour drive in a car so it will be a full 24 hours in an rv. which means we will need several drivers. there will be 3 of us switching off and driving it straight thru stopping only for gas. spending the weekend there and then making the trip back.

just need to find what you are capable but for me 6 hours is good, 9 hours is my absolute max.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:26 PM   #14
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Normally We try to set our travel schedule to run 400-500 miles a day, 8-10 hours. I like to be in the spot and shut down for the night by sundown.

If we're not on a schedule, Time will vary, 300-500 miles a day. If we're on a tight schedule, we've run 600-800 miles a day. This is usually very rare.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote