Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2012, 08:25 AM   #1

long room slides

My wife and I still like going out and looking at used, and sometimes new, motorhomes. You never know, we might get a bug to trade....again. Anyway, notice some very nice MHs with very long, full side slides but I have this little "warning light" in my mind that tells me there was serious issues with these a few years ago. What are the negatives of these very long slides and was it particular to certain chassis. I know that walls/frames are differently built per chassis be it Frightliner, Roadmaster, and/or Spartan. Are there certain years to avoid? (I am thinking Fleetwood had some problem, but not sure of the years.) My memory is not what it used to be and since seeing them in even new coaches maybe they are a good thing. Saturday we saw a beautiful new model Newmar Dutch Star 40' w/tag having long slide one one side, two shorter slides on opposite side. I suspect weight is one issue so perhaps tags take care of that. If there are main reasons to avoid long slides then I would like to know so we can stay out of coaches with them. Eliminating a few to not set foot in might be a good thing. ha

Bill
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
The full wall slides are cool & offer a ton more interior space. Tiffin & Entegra motorhomes still don't offer a full wall slide due to potential structural integrity issues that would result but I think the companies that do offer full wall slides make theirs differently so it's not an issue.

I do know of someone with an American Revolution full wall slide who's computer board went out 1 month after the warranty expired and was very expensive to have fixed.

If we were to ever upgrade our coach I would want a full wall slide and L shaped sofa, that said I'm very happy with what we have & will probably stick with it for many more years.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #3

Full wall slides had some problems in their first years of operation 2006-2007. They don't appear to have many problems since, although there is also the potential for a problem as there is on any of these coaches.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by itgeekgal View Post
The full wall slides are cool & offer a ton more interior space. Tiffin & Entegra motorhomes still don't offer a full wall slide due to potential structural integrity issues that would result but I think the companies that do offer full wall slides make theirs differently so it's not an issue.

I do know of someone with an American Revolution full wall slide who's computer board went out 1 month after the warranty expired and was very expensive to have fixed.

If we were to ever upgrade our coach I would want a full wall slide and L shaped sofa, that said I'm very happy with what we have & will probably stick with it for many more years.
We, too, like the L shape sofa and my wife would prefer a booth style eating area...maybe one that is back-to-back with the L shape sofa.

The new model Newmar we looked at with the long slide was awesome and only 40', but with tag axle.

The Revolutions could have been the coach I was thinking about. Wow, a extended warranty would have been nice for the individual you mentioned.

Thanls for reply.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Current generation full-wall slides don't seem to be problematic. Fleetwood's American Coach is big on them and owners don't seem to have any issues. That is a huge gap though to support the roof. Fleetwood uses an interlocking wall to roof and wall to floor conbstruction design to give them strength. But the large opening doesn't give them anything to interlock to because the wall is gone. They use a header to support the roof and span the large opening, transferring the load to the wall on either side of the opening. It seems to be working but the drawback is that the header reduces the slideout height. You either get nice overhead cabinets with small windows or large windows with no overhead cabinets.

Floorplans are always subjective. Many buyers like the full wall concept. Personally, we don't because we don't care to stand at thefront of the coach and look all the way into the bedroom but, to each his own.

Bob Tiffin stated he would not go to a full wall slide due to strength issues. However, that was a few years back and now I've heard they may consider it. I guess if the market demands it, they might. As to Entegra - they won't. However, the Entegra roof is built like the Brooklyn Bridge. There is a ton of support up there and you could probably carry another class A on the roof. With that much weight I can't see a full wall slide as being effective. In contrast, the American Coach roof is very light and doesn't have near the structural trusses, etc that Entegra, or even Tiffin, use so it's much easier to support that with some sort of header.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #6

Cruzer,
Something else I found interesting after reading dealers data on the 2012 Newmar 4062 we looked at Sat, it is not a Spartan chassis. Listed at 39' on a Freightliner chassis. I was not aware that Newmar used the FL chassis. I assume different models require different chassis. The big long slides get your attention when stepping in but I can see that strenghth could be problem both to roof and walls.

Bill
Old 08-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck454 View Post
Cruzer,
Something else I found interesting after reading dealers data on the 2012 Newmar 4062 we looked at Sat, it is not a Spartan chassis. Listed at 39' on a Freightliner chassis. I was not aware that Newmar used the FL chassis. I assume different models require different chassis. The big long slides get your attention when stepping in but I can see that strenghth could be problem both to roof and walls.

Bill
I might be wrong but i think Newmar only uses the Spartan on the Essex and King Aire. the rest get FL.
I really like the Televator with 46" TV. not big on the full slide but that's just a personal preference. haven't read of issues with them in newer coaches.

DC
deafcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner cut a deal with both Newmar and Fleetwood to go with Freightliner chassis. However, they aren't up to speed yet with the larger 500 HP and up chassis so the Essex and King Aire still have the Spartan chassis. So do the larger American Coach models. Freightliner is building the Powerliner chassis, which will accept a 500 HP Cummins ISX-12 but as yet don't have a 600 HP variant, although supposedly they will. They will have to go a long way to beat the Spartan K2 and K3 chassis though.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #9

We looked at a 2006 Essex at same dealership in AR Sat, I believe it did have a Spartan chassis, but not the long side slide as the 4062. It was really nice, very well taken care, especially compared to a 2008 Newmar Dutch Star that had lots of issues including loose carpet in rear, ugly (to us) dark charcoal color tile, generator out, and front step out. And we actually drove up to Little Rock (about 4 hours) to look at the Dutch Star, Internet pics can fool you.

So much to learn in looking at MHs. Unfjortunately, I have to admit to not doing enough homework and/or just thinking things out when buying last year. My wife is often much of a impluse buyer and I went with her likes. Don't misunderstand, we do like what we bought and consider the buy a good one, however I/we find several items that I would have liked to have had. Gulfstream incorporated lots of really nice, upper end, things in their coachs but left a few items out also (at least items we see now that we would have liked). I'm sure I am not the first person quilty of being a little quick in a purchase, fortunatedly so far nothing to feel too bad about.