Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikron View Post
Easy one, open the main slide and forget to move the driver chair foward.
DW is in charge of this one...ours was an easy reinstall of the trim.

I was in charge of keeping the back overhang free of dings. That lasted less than a year. Didn't see the tailgate down on a pickup parked on the edge of the CG road as I made the turn into our site...swung out and barely caught the last six inches. Could have been much worse. Knocked on the door of the owners TT and thanked him for the lesson learned. So much for that flawless rear end.

Probably not our last 'cool moves'.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #16
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ouch! Ouch!

Okay. On my maiden voyage with the 2008 Winnebago I was evacuating IKE. Having evacuated before I knew that I had to get on the road before the traffic started. I did not want to travel 150 miles in 15 hours (that's correct - for RITA). I told my DW that we were leaving that evening. Coach was brand new, parked in the drive way since we had just got it. I new the campground we were going to. DW Follows in car since the towing package was not installed yet. She stopped for gas and I continued to the CG. (that's the scenario)

I knew that I had to go to the turn around in the CG to approach to my site and back in. I made the turn around the turn-around and some PERSON was parallel parked in the roadway. I had made my turn wide and I had to back up to be able to clear him. I did not remember the 3" metal posts filled with cement, anchored in the ground. Backing changed my attitude of the coach and when I pulled forward it scraped and crunched one of the basement doors on the bottom. It still operates, and to this day I have not had it banged out and fixed. It's a reminder, as my DW has directed. She's now ready to get it fixed after 2 years.

There are others, but not now, please.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:12 PM   #17

((I crawled into the basement of our coach to winterize her and no sooner did I crawl in, the door slammed shut locking me inside. The wet bay door was open, so I had light, but no way to fit out. My 3 year old was in the coach playing and my wife was in the house. I'm yelling for help for about 30 minutes before my neighbor came over wondering where the yelling was coming from and freed me. I'll never crawl in there again without my cell phone in hand.))

Now thats funny............

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:33 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingman View Post
((I crawled into the basement of our coach to winterize her and no sooner did I crawl in, the door slammed shut locking me inside. The wet bay door was open, so I had light, but no way to fit out. My 3 year old was in the coach playing and my wife was in the house. I'm yelling for help for about 30 minutes before my neighbor came over wondering where the yelling was coming from and freed me. I'll never crawl in there again without my cell phone in hand.))

That's the best one yet! Joe
Old 01-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingman View Post

Yeah, my family and friends are still laughing at me over this one.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:06 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
On the last trip, I was outside getting everything setup and DW started to deploy the slide.
About 1/2 way out, she stopped. After I got the outside secure, went to see what the problem was with the slide.
She said she heard a crunching in the rear and stopped the slide.
Looking where she said she heard the noise, I found one of the drawers in the nightstand had been caught by the slide.
Drawer was crunched pretty good but not destroyed.
Nephew said he had someone to repair the drawer.
Total cost: $50.
Now I check and recheck before using the slide.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:18 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
There are two types of RV operators 'those who have had an incident' and 'those who are going to have an incident' I'm in the first group. But as someone suggested that little scratch gives it character.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had just finished up with a service visit to the FCCC service center in Gaffney, SC...the old service center at the factory. Hooked up the Explorer, got in the coach and told DW we were ready to go.

Started to move forward and heard a faint squealing noise. Stopped, listened, didn't hear anything so proceeded. Heard noise again. Looked in side mirror and saw two nice, black skid marks trailing the toad. Went out to the Explorer and while I had used the neutral tow to disengage the transfer case, I had left the emergency brake on. Dragged the rear wheels about 100 ft. Looked around to see if anyone saw my boo boo, released the brake and proceeded on our way.

What surprised me is that I did not feel any drag. Even the 4,400 lb Explorer with the rear wheels locked did not place sufficient drag on the DP for me to feel it.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:42 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
I plead the fifth
Old 01-10-2011, 04:20 PM   #24

Did the drawer crunch once. Since I was moving the slide I stopped fast enough to just deform it a little .Slippers also interfere with slideouts so now I check first.
BOB
Old 01-10-2011, 04:32 PM   #25
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
New one to add to what I had earlier. This happened a couple weeks ago but have been too POd at myself to 'share' before now.

While using our powerful two stage snowblower to clear the driveway I decided that if I were to keep the area around the motor home clear too (parked next to the garage) I'd have access to it earlier in the spring to start getting it ready for, hopefully, an earlier start to the season. By the way, I keep the MH shore cord constantly plugged into the 50 amp recepticle I had installed on the side of the garage...
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
We had just finished up with a service visit to the FCCC service center in Gaffney, SC...the old service center at the factory. Hooked up the Explorer, got in the coach and told DW we were ready to go.

Started to move forward and heard a faint squealing noise. Stopped, listened, didn't hear anything so proceeded. Heard noise again. Looked in side mirror and saw two nice, black skid marks trailing the toad. Went out to the Explorer and while I had used the neutral tow to disengage the transfer case, I had left the emergency brake on. Dragged the rear wheels about 100 ft. Looked around to see if anyone saw my boo boo, released the brake and proceeded on our way.

What surprised me is that I did not feel any drag. Even the 4,400 lb Explorer with the rear wheels locked did not place sufficient drag on the DP for me to feel it.
Yea, that squealing is a dead give-away.

Pulled my old Saturn toad out of the barn once with the tranny in Park. Luckily on smoooth concrete, and then soft gravel coming out of the barn.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #27
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Okay! If ya'll insist.

Got ready to depart for a trip from the stick house. The last thing to do is pull the MH out of the driveway and hook up the 2007 Saturn TOAD. Everything went fine, everything is hooked up.

About 10 or so miles down the road, one of those little men running around in side of my head, popped over to my ear drum and said, "Did you take the transmission out of reverse after backing up to lock the tow bar in place?" I said that "SHUX" word (don't know where I learned it) and unfortunately loud enough for DW to hear. I'll let you figure out explanations as I pulled over to the side of the Interstate and walked back to check. I opened the TOAD door, sat down, calmly moved the shift lever from reverse to neutral, locked everything up, informed DW that everything was okay, (I didn't lie, at that point of time everything was okay) and we continued on our way.

A few prayers later and a few over night stops down the road, we reached our destination. Unhooked, cranked it over, headed down the road, and I have been driving it for several months with no sign for the worse.

Thanks Saturn, wish you were still in business.

Any mechanics that can explain that everything works? Send me a PM, or start another thread.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:44 PM   #28

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
OK, this one is fairly fresh, having occurred within the last week. I cranked up the snowblower to clear the latest 6" of snow fall from last weekend. We've had a couple good storms and the snow is (or was, the last couple days its been in the low 40s, and much of it is gone) piling up. I decided to be 'smart' and clear down the side of the motor home reasoning that if I kept it clear I'd be able to get into it much sooner this next spring to get it ready for the new season.

Snow blowers and shore cords do not make for a good mix.
Ditto! Just happened yesterday. 2 water hoses and the electric cord. Luckily the shear pins on the auger broke first so I didn't get electrocuted

4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote