Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2011, 04:20 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOps...

Our first coach was a Midas Kingston ''C'' class. Kinda old but a good coach with low miles. We were brand new at camping and were just learning.

We pulled into a campground above Boone Nc. We found a spot, built a fire and cooked supper. It was warm so we opened the 'vents' on top of the coach. All went well and we finally went to bed and it started raining very softly. It should be understood that this coach had a ''corner bed'' and the back Vent was over to the far side of the roof. We laid there listening to the ''patter of rain on the roof'' and loving the RV lifestyle. Next morning I stepped out of bed into three inches of water on the floor. The 'vent'' did not have a Max air cover over it......

We were down in Mississippi traveling along and I heard a kind of a bump behind the coach (the C class) and I looked out the window and saw a sewer hose laying in the road behind us. I tole my wife that ''some dummie'' had lost their sewer hose and laughed. We got to the campground and I went to pull the ''capp'' off the rear bumper to get out our sewer hose and guess what?????????? I found the dummie that had lost his sewer hose.....................

We were down in Florida and I went out back to hook up the water and sewer and the electric and I causally put one knee on the ground for support while I hooked everything up. In about a minute I noticed my left leg was on fire. HOLLY SMOKE... I WAS BEING EATEN ALIVE.... I had discovered FIRE ANTS the hard way Have you ever seen a fat man rip off his pants and run for the camper door?

God bless our vets ..... All gave some .... Some gave all ...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2011, 07:30 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
one more biggie

Up in Canada back in 2000 comin back from Alaska I managed to pull my Tracker far enough to wear out both front tires because I had the steering wheel ''locked'' in a slight turn when we pulled out of a camp ground. We could hear a slight ''whistling'' sound and could not figure out what it was comin from till we stopped at a stoplite and a lady tapped on the drivers window and said I needed to ''check'' the steering on my toad.......
''Erased the treads right off both front tires''..... yep.... sure did .....

one more goof up and I will be elegable to be a Marine like my friend Wayne the Marine or a soldier like my friend Paul the Soldier guy. I think I already qualify to be a Air Force guy now except I aint got a really nice duty station........

I am so proud to be counted as a Vet. It is a real honor to be counted with really great men and ladies....... nuff said......

Lets all thank a vet for our freedoms. Some of them defended them with a gun while we slept......

Old 01-22-2011, 07:37 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Air Force ?/ : they wear baby blue not NAVY blue

Marine : why wud ya wanna be a gate guard at a Navy base

ARMY : aint real marines yet , so they caint even stand at a Navy gate yet
Old 01-23-2011, 09:32 AM   #32

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Couldn't fit my head in the jar and didn't know how to peel potatos so I joined the Army. Each day I thank God and my fellow service Men, Women & Civil servants for the times I've had and those still to come!
Ron
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:35 AM   #33

A couple of things. Managed to lock the steeering wheel on a VW bug many years ago. Bent the towbar but didn't hurt the car or the tires. Probably drove 200 miles before discovering my mistake.
Next, we had a 25' Pace Arrow and a 19' Bayliner years ago. One summer day we hooked up the boat and took off for some fun at a local lake. Launching the Bayliner went well and my wife and daughters left in the boat as I looked for a suitable spot for the coach. Spotted a flat grassy area about 30' from the old water line. Good, I thought, should be plenty dry but close enough to the shore. Pulled the class A onto the grass and promptly sank up to the frame. It was only dry for the first inch or two then it was sloppy nasty smelling mud! If a group of guys hadn't helped me out the coach might still be there.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:51 AM   #34

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
Have owned my Mirada Class A since last June. Driving the RV home from Auckland, went through a camp ground gate and swung left onto the road. The Right hand end swung wide and wiped out the side lights and damaged the back storage locker door. Only done that once - so far.

When the slide is put out, I have to remember to check behind the left seat to make sure that there is nothing that the slide can catch on. Have ruined a metal framed wicker basket, and several assorted fragile items that are weaker than the motor drive in the slide. Dogs' tennis balls have a habit of stopping the slide before it gets all the way out too.

More to come...
Old 01-30-2011, 05:12 AM   #35

Tangled with gas pump protectors on first trip

Bought my rv in Dallas and a buddy and I were driving it back to LA. In Quartzite of all places, pulled in to fuel. Instead of stopping at the truck stop, pulled into a Mobil station. Since my buddy had been driving most of the night, I said I would drive. Went to pull out of the gas station, took too sharp a left turn and tore out three bay doors on the left side. We were able to bungy cord them closed and make it to So Cal. $23,000 damage.

My wife is trying to come up with a name for our RV. I suggested "Mobil Won"

Waiting for it to be repaired as we speak
pvrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #36

Have to add this one.

Last Saturday(wounds are still tender) we load the child seats into the the new to us American Eagle to go check out a prospective storage facility. Babies are happily watching Dora the Explorer so we set out. Note: we live in a mountainous area with narrow roads. Read into that what you will and keep in mind that this is, by far, not the longest vehicle I have ever driven but it certainly has the most butt hanging out behind the rear axle.

I back the rig out and orient toward the interior of the neighborhood as there is absolutely no room to back out in the other direction. My plan was to turn around at the key-hole then head out onto the highway. In the midst of a glorious six point turn-around; I get the bright idea that pulling about ten feet up my neighbor's driveway would give me the extra room needed to cleanly turn around. Very steep driveway, BTW. Watching the mirror closely to monitor the rear overhang and its impending courtship with the asphalt; I figure it's time to back up. Select reverse and find that the rig will not move...check the parking brake...try again. Nothing! Open the throttle a bit and I hereby admit that I may be the only human to ever do a wicked burn-out in a motorhome!

What I neglected to account for in my diligent monitoring of the rear overhang was the Hitch Receiver! About three inches lower than the rear valance and six inches aft. It was securely buried in the asphalt creating the strongest parking brake on planet earth. After an hour long session of raising the rear, putting boards under the tires, raising the jacks, putting pads under the jack feet, raising again, putting more boards under the tires, etc, etc. until the hitch is free; it's time to back out. Dora is over, the babies are upset, the DW thinks I am completely insane, and my neighbor is late for work.

It could have been worse but some damage was sustained. I know it is not recommended to use the leveling jacks on such a grade and the extra stress on the piston seal did kill the right rear jack. Plus, a benevolent neighbor insisted he could pull it with his SuperDuperMegaDuty Ford pickup. Fat chance, I thought, but what could he do but mangle the bumper on his own truck, right? Wrong! His tow strap broke and snapped back violently enough to knock out a 4in by 10in section of fiberglass. I'll take that with a smile as , by now, nearly the whole neighborhood population is standing around laughing. The strap could have seriously injured someone but we were lucky and only had to offer a sacrifice of mangled bodywork.

I'll rebuild the jack cylinder myself, have a professional repair the fiberglass, and continue to drink at least 3 pints of stout per day to soothe my wounds.

Lesson Learned!

Sam
Old 02-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Oooops, soooury....

That could have been my situation, but heard the hitch screeching on the driveway and stopped.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My first trip in my first Motorhome. I backed out the driveway and right into a power pole on the other side of the street. I was so upset that I just drove on for another mile or so when I had to stop to check the wreckage. Thankfully it only crunched a large replaceable trim piece. After replacing the trim I added a back up camera !!!!!!!!!!!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #39

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdon
Last Saturday(wounds are still tender) we load the child seats into the the new to us American Eagle to go check out a prospective storage facility. Babies are happily watching Dora the Explorer so we set out. Note: we live in a mountainous area with narrow roads. Read into that what you will and keep in mind that this is, by far, not the longest vehicle I have ever driven but it certainly has the most butt hanging out behind the rear axle.

I back the rig out and orient toward the interior of the neighborhood as there is absolutely no room to back out in the other direction. My plan was to turn around at the key-hole then head out onto the highway. In the midst of a glorious six point turn-around; I get the bright idea that pulling about ten feet up my neighbor's driveway would give me the extra room needed to cleanly turn around. Very steep driveway, BTW. Watching the mirror closely to monitor the rear overhang and its impending courtship with the asphalt; I figure it's time to back up. Select reverse and find that the rig will not move...check the parking brake...try again. Nothing! Open the throttle a bit and I hereby admit that I may be the only human to ever do a wicked burn-out in a motorhome!

What I neglected to account for in my diligent monitoring of the rear overhang was the Hitch Receiver! About three inches lower than the rear valance and six inches aft. It was securely buried in the asphalt creating the strongest parking brake on planet earth. After an hour long session of raising the rear, putting boards under the tires, raising the jacks, putting pads under the jack feet, raising again, putting more boards under the tires, etc, etc. until the hitch is free; it's time to back out. Dora is over, the babies are upset, the DW thinks I am completely insane, and my neighbor is late for work.

It could have been worse but some damage was sustained. I know it is not recommended to use the leveling jacks on such a grade and the extra stress on the piston seal did kill the right rear jack. Plus, a benevolent neighbor insisted he could pull it with his SuperDuperMegaDuty Ford pickup. Fat chance, I thought, but what could he do but mangle the bumper on his own truck, right? Wrong! His tow strap broke and snapped back violently enough to knock out a 4in by 10in section of fiberglass. I'll take that with a smile as , by now, nearly the whole neighborhood population is standing around laughing. The strap could have seriously injured someone but we were lucky and only had to offer a sacrifice of mangled bodywork.

I'll rebuild the jack cylinder myself, have a professional repair the fiberglass, and continue to drink at least 3 pints of stout per day to soothe my wounds.

Lesson Learned!

Sam
sam
Don't feel bad! You got that one out of the way! Now there's only a couple hundred more to go. We bought our first class A in 1988. It was a 81 Titan 30 or 34 ft. Either way it was long behind the axle. Our first mistake (day of purchase) was parking in the backyard on the wonderful Oklahoma grass. Forgot to mention It had been raining for 2 weeks prior, made sure I could clear the house eaves and fence, turned the corner off the driveway and was clear sailing to where I planned it's parking spot. (forgot to mention I had cleared the grass so we would not start a fire later on). Soon as I pulled in and got my new baby leveled we began the packing job for our planned trip with father inlaw to branson As we were loading up DW asks if we're leaning? Of course not! I just leveled it but went to prove her wrong, right side buried to axles in mud and left side moving that way. Father in law shows up, laughing ha ha. We spent our first camp out in the back yard waiting for the tow truck.
You ask why didn't you just put some wood under the tires and rock it out? We did for two hours until the reverse gear blew out. Got a rebuilt tranny tons of laughs and a delayed trip to Branson. (2 wks later) While driving to table rock camp ground we got lost on a dirt road (pulling my 22 ft ski boat). Father in law says just pull up there( pointing to a incredibly steep gravel drive) I say no we'll drag the back end he says No the trailer tongue will provide extra clearance. Ok dad, you hide me back. 20 minutes later and a seriously bent trailer tongue we are on our way. Now you can tell the boat is back there, that's odd couldn't tell it was there the whole way here. Just drive! By the time we found the camp ground the trailer tire had both blown due to the new angle of the tongue!

Yes we still have a class A Love it and all the wonderful experiences we've had, just hope my insurance can keep pace!
Ron
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #40

Ron,

Sure, your insurance can keep pace....so long as when one carrier gets a bait of your mishaps another finds its way to offering you a policy I have started two insurance brokerages from the ground up and now own and operate an established business based on those two rocky start-ups. Smooth sailing nowadays....mostly. To ease your concern; I have never, ever had a motorhome policy canceled or even non-renewed due to claims activity. It is always profitable business for the insurance company and is very loosely underwritten as a result. It would take gross negligence to even cause a blip on their radar.

I do mostly specialty type business which includes a significant number of motorhomes and yachts. I live in the boonies and until about a decade ago; none of the local body repair shops were doing fiberglass work. Got one willing guy trained and now I send him a ton of business from the often hilarious claims I get from rig owners who initiate contact with countless immobile objects. Trees, overhangs, mailboxes, parked cars, stumps, the list goes on. Towing damage is another big one...that's why I refused to call one in during my recent debacle. I have seen the question "why is motorhome insurance so cheap?" on this forum many times. To state it simply; almost never does someone get physically hurt. Pride is another story altogether. Personal injury is where your premium dollars go while machinery is really cheap in a relative sense. T-boning a car full of kids makes an actuary somewhere spin around in their chair and dream of a rate increase......shredding some fiberglass, tearing off a satellite dish, AC unit, antenna? Who gives a rip?

So long as we, as a group of motorists, do not begin to cause significant personal injury; availability of cheap insurance will continue. We can keep on systematically disassembling our own rigs 'till the cows come home so put her in gear and tromp the loud-pedal

Sam
Old 02-03-2011, 10:03 AM   #41

Forest River Owners Club
I was going to camp on the beach at lower end of South Padre Island in Texas with my first 36 foot MH. We got there about dusk. Found a great spot to camp and settled in. Great night! Next morning water is at the steps. Well I thought move to higher ground for a while. Next we are buried up to the generator panel and above the rear axle. This was not my smartest day of camping. 2 guys come by about noon with 2 big jeep set ups and rescued my group and MH. Payment for their save was to drink a six pack of beer and hot dogs with my family and my new freinds. I say this to say no matter what is up, their is someone to help. I will always pass this on for the rest of my life. I really think that my children learned from this experience.
jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:04 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Since we're telling on ourselves I'll chime in here.

Bought Motorhome in December 2009 (first motorhome by the way). On the way home from a trip in February 2010 we drove 250 miles in a snow/ice storm on I-20 from Snyder, TX to Haslet, TX. All the roads were clear until we reached our subdivision. The roads there were not cleared and had 6-8" of ice and snow on them. All the houses out there have a drainage ditch in front of them. The snow had filled the ditches and it looked level across them. I made it through the streets to our driveway. Until this point I had only backed the unit into our drive, never pulled in forward. As I was surveying the situation a "friendly neighbor" needed to get to his house. As I had the street blocked he would "guide" me into driveway. It all started fine, but I thought I was a little too far to the right in the rear. I stopped, but he yelled out "Keep coming, you got it!" I felt something wasn't right when the rears got to the drive, but it was too late to stop. I nailed the throttle, hoping momentum might work in my favor. Just nearly made it!!! Inside dual rolled the 2" of tire that was on concrete to off the concrete and into the air. Only stopping after the axle U-bolts hit the concrete. Good neighbor said " Man I thought you had it" then was gone like a fart in the wind. As I was in the driveway and out of the street I set up a tow truck for the following morning.
As the BIG Rig hook arrived the guy looked at it and said " Well you nearly made it. I inserted a hitch ball in the receiver upside down, he put a trap onto it and lifted the rear end up and swung it 3' and set it down in the middle of the driveway. He only charged me $150 as I had shoveled all the snow/ice out of the way and that's what my insurance would pay. He was there maybe 20 minutes tops. Neighbor across street snapped some blackmail pics of me on the hook.
I crawled all under her to look at damages. Broke off the air brake canister and messed up the threads on the axle u-bolts. Didn't even brake an airline! I fired it up and moved it into it's parking space. Replaced the brake can myself for $45.00. Got out real lucky on this one.

Kerry B.

BABrede is offline   Reply With Quote