Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #1

looking at 1998 American Dream

Wanting some info on these coaches, any reasons to avoid, guess asking for good or bad things about this model. thanks Roger
soybeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I bought a '99 American Dream out of Florida about three months ago and it's a very nice unit. It has one 12' slide. Coach only had about 60,000 miles and pretty decent shape. It just had some rust issues under by the wheel well areas that I need to repair.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
I have been participating in RV forums for over 10 years.

The American Coach line of rigs seems to have fewer postings for problems than other brands. They were the premier line and a separate manufacturing line for Fleetwood.

In my mind either the American Coach owners do not complain, do not have as many problems, or do not use computers because they are out having fun.

Whatever their reason, I think the 1998 American Dream will be a very good upscale coach for the next owner if......................... it was maintained well, test drives well, and appears to have been maintained with no water intrusion or chassis leaks.

I have only been on one 1999 American Dream and knew the owners. They were very happy with their rig. They no longer RV.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:06 PM   #4

Thanks for the replys, I was kind of supprised that there wasn't more info given.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:04 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Not as good as a Country Coach but better than any normal production run coach. Take your time and you will find that perfect coach; be it a American, Country Coach or Foretravel.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
AC makes a very good product with excellent factory support. My only negative comment would be that it is 14 years old...with age comes normal problems.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
And SOME parks don't want units under 10 years in their parks. Just had to submit a photo to get a 5 mo reservation at a KOA for a 12 YO Monaco Diplomat. It's like new condition always garaged, so no problem. I was just "surprised", shall we say

Pawnotes aka Dave and Carla
Jack n Kelly ESS fur kids
00 Monaco Diplomat 38a
pawnotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #8

We have owned a 98 American Eagle for 3 1/2 years. It was the big sister to the Dream and has some different design features but is the same chassis with a slight HP upgrade to the engine (325 vs 300).

Fit/finish ,engineering (it is a big "Easy Button" to operate) and the quality of the woodwork is outstanding. The Spartan Mountain Master Chassis is a dream (no pun intended) to drive. The Independent Front Suspension (IFS) minimizes the impact of cross winds or semi's and tour buses passing you.

Tankage is well above average which makes the utilization of these vintage Eagles and Dreams very good. 150 gallons fuel, 40 gallons propane, 60 grey water, 40 black makes for trouble free trip planning and dry camping.

Both thermal and acoustical insulation is excellent. The dual A/C/s and furnaces will keep you very comfortable in almost any climate.

The 98's were the last year the Cummins mechanical C8.3 engine was used by American Coach. Our experience has been that it and the Allison 3060 six speed transmission are a perfect match and each is "bullet proof" on its own merit.

We have put 26K miles on ours and now the clock is approaching 74K. IMHO it is just broken in based upon the oil analysis we have performed annually.

Our maintenance has been just preventive save for the replacement of a few switches and light bulbs.

The only known issue with these coaches is that the chassis IFS has "lubed for life" ball joints which have been known to require replacement. Have this evaluated and negotiate the cost to replace ($3K) if there is an issue.

As to the issue of the 10 year rule for some parks, if your prospect unit has been well looked after you will be welcomed at all parks as the paint job applied by American Coach was almost aircraft quality IMHO. Still get jaw drops from non-RV people who ask if it is new.

Have fun hunting...if you like the Dreams, there are some features of the Eagles that may interest you.

DaveS
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:10 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
We bought an old 92 American Eagle. We think it had set for about 5 years by the inspection sticker. We had all filters, belts, hoses, and lots of other stuff lubed, checked, some repaired, and lots of upgrades too. We redid the roof with liquid rubber, all new skylights, and vents.

Finally got to take it on a run to Indiana and back 2000 miles. She ran like a dream, hubby put in new headlights and fog lights while up there as they weren't that good so we upgraded.

Didn't use any oil, neither the genny or the engine, so we were really happy about that. Temps were ok through 108 degree outside weather so we were happy campers.

The outside looks pretty good and waxes up well, front has dings but its 20 years old so good considering.

I think these are wonderful coaches and if you can find one I think they are well worth it. We hope to get many years out of ours.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I bought a '99 American Eagle in 3/01 and owned it until 3/12. Wonderful coach, wonderful factory support, it still looked new after I updated mirrors. Factory mirrors had terrible blind spots. I had a continuing rear air bag leveling arm issue, I carried a 'C' clamp and spare bracket for the leveling arm for the Spartan Chassis. I would check radiator very closely also, I had to replace my radiator as it was rotting core (about $3,200). I would check interior very closely for water leaks especially in bedroom, in rear closets next to the bed and exterior calking if unit was stored outside.

I just found my brother a 2001 American Eagle that is in excellent condition also.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #11

Thanks for all the information, if we can get togerher on price will buy it. Looks as good as any 98 have looked at, better than 95% thanks again
Old 07-31-2012, 12:06 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
We had both radiators flushed and new hoses, they said no issues, did not overheat in super hot weather, most of the time at about 190. Hubby replaced water pump, he found a leak in the water holding tank and fixed it. He, I, and mechanics have been all over it. Genny had new water pump and alternator pump in plus thermostat housing. New front brakes, seal in tranny replaced, transmission flushed and drained, new filters in it. Said no metal particles or excessive wear.

New dryer and some valve on the levelors, hubby ordered a cylinder on the pacbrakes was installed, serviced compressor. New flat screens added and satellite dome, new microwave, convection oven. new windshield wipers. We have done lots of work on it.

New step, though no issues plan on replacing front steer tires, dated 2007, also want alignment done though steers very good. Also new shocks were put on, ride is wonderful as is steering. Likely to be our last motorhome.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote