Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2015, 04:17 PM   #1

Looking at a 36' Holiday Rambler

... it is a 2003 with 12k original miles. Really great shape from what I can tell from the first look. GM 8.1 engine with Allison 1000 6 speed transmission and that info came off the original sticker. My question is: would this transmission have the Auto-Park parking brake that I have read can be a big problem? I could not get far enough under it to look for the parking brake drum on the driveshaft, but from what I could see, it did not have the Auto-Park, which I would like to avoid if possible. BTW, it has a full set of one year old TOYO 22.5 tires. All advice appreciated. Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2015, 10:43 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
41pu

From what I have read on this site and others the 2003 W/H chassis Does NOT have the auto park brake.
There is a gentelman on this site by the of Ed Gray that is very knowledgable on these chassis.
Maybe he will read this and answer your questions .
He will need the vin number.
Good luck.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:56 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The Allison 1000MH used in the W-series Workhorse chassis uses a different Autopark, the J72 system, and it was a reliable system. The Workhorse P-series chassis with GM Hydramatic tranny used the J71 Autopark system up through 2004 and it had its drawbacks, but that's a different animal.

I think you have some incorrect information. The 2003 Workhorse W20/W22 did NOT have an Allison 6-speed (it was a 5-speed). The 6-speed version of the Allsion 1000MH and 2100MH did not come out until 2006.

Ed Gray will no doubt have better and more complete answers. Meanwhile, you might want to look at the Workhorse Chassis Gide for info:
www.deserttruckservice.com/pdf%20folder/workhorse_chassis.guide.pdf
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:19 AM   #4

Gary, it is a 5 speed Allison 1000. However, it has no form of Auto park and I did check that through Ed on another thread. All the recalls had been completed. I did drive the coach and it drove great, though the steering had very little "feel" or feedback and seemed over-boosted, sort of like the power steering on cars in the early 60's. It tracked very well. DW is very nervous about the coach's age, so we reluctantly decided to pass on it and continue the search for something newer.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenW View Post
Gary, it is a 5 speed Allison 1000. However, it has no form of Auto park and I did check that through Ed on another thread. All the recalls had been completed. I did drive the coach and it drove great, though the steering had very little "feel" or feedback and seemed over-boosted, sort of like the power steering on cars in the early 60's. It tracked very well. DW is very nervous about the coach's age, so we reluctantly decided to pass on it and continue the search for something newer.
My 2006 HR Endeavor is listed on this forum. Priced to sell. Road ready. Redecorated. Joel
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holiday rambler