Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holeinone, have you shopped this seller to make sure his asking price is in the right range?
My experience with VERY anal guys is that you get a great item (no matter what it is), but are usually VERY high priced for what they have to sell. While its true, they keep their stuff in super condition, sometimes you can get a much newer coach for the same or less... I agree about the tires... After 13 years, for everyone's safety, swap them out.

Clay, I didn't mean to goat you there. My Discovery is very new to me. I only have 14 hours experience of drive time on it home to NY from Kentucky and I've not towed with it yet. I can tell you that I've driven up 3 mile hills on 81 and 84 and it chugged right along at 70 to 75.

StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #16

Myself I wouldn't worry about the tires, unless they are terribly weather checked. When they are checked, that let's air into the cords, which can dry them out. I have a pair on the front that are 00 dated, but are not weather checked and show only slight wear. I put a Banks system on my 275, it did quite well, until the Ottomind died, didn't do anything for fuel mileage, but did help climbing mountains. Best addition was the EGT gauge, and the boost gauge, I drive by the EGT gauge, you can tell how hard you are pushing the engine. One of the worst things you can do to a turbo-charged diesel, is shut it down hot, I never shut my engine down until the temp is below 400 degrees.

GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
Holeinone, have you shopped this seller to make sure his asking price is in the right range?
My experience with VERY anal guys is that you get a great item (no matter what it is), but are usually VERY high priced for what they have to sell. While its true, they keep their stuff in super condition, sometimes you can get a much newer coach for the same or less... I agree about the tires... After 13 years, for everyone's safety, swap them out.

Clay, I didn't mean to goat you there. My Discovery is very new to me. I only have 14 hours experience of drive time on it home to NY from Kentucky and I've not towed with it yet. I can tell you that I've driven up 3 mile hills on 81 and 84 and it chugged right along at 70 to 75.
I have shopped the asking price and it is pretty good. He took it to a dealer to sell on consignment and offered it to me for their price. One thing in my favor is his DW said "Get rid of the motorhome". I asked if I could negotiate with her and he said "NO" with a laugh.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #18

Went to look it over today. Very nice condition. Not a scratch or any sign of use. That being said did have some things I didn't like. It was green....green carpet, green couch, green trim on the outside. TV's need upgraded. Don't know if I can get past that green. BTW, price $45, 000.00.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:55 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm the first to admit that I'm cheap but I would not spend $45k on a 2000 Discovery.

I don't think the low NADA of $30k is all that realistic but I don't think they are worth more than $35k-40k. If I was looking to buy, I'd probably look for low-mid 30s.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:45 AM   #20

Yeah, I was thinking 35, add new floor, sofa and live with the small engine. He says he still owes 65 on it and has to have 45. I don't think this is gonna happen. I had a lot of must have things on my list that this doesn't have but was tempted by the low price and pristine condition. This thing has lived in a heated and cooled garage all it's life except for when it was camping and is in perfect condition.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #21

2000-2001

I bought a 2001 Beaver Contessa naples 40' double slide with 31000 miles on it for $67 a year ago.

Has a CAT 330 hp motor and needed tires as soon as I bought it. 4 rear ones were original ones.....I think even 8 years on tires is pushing the limit......

He had it priced way too high, at $85, refer didnt work, tires needed replacing,
he didnt want to sell but wife did at my offer.....
Old 02-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holeinone, I feel ya!! I had a teal interior in my boat when I bought it. The first thing I did when I got it home was gut it... as I HATE teal! So mid 90's... YUCK! It wasn't as bad as I thought to get everything reupholstered and new carpeting put in. I spent about $5K on a dinette, couch, chair, custains, and carpet. But I got it for a great price, which made the effort worth it. If your not up for a project, move on... there are a LOT of motorhomes for sale out there in yor price range!
Old 02-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
For what it's worth I agree with stevieG.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #24

Send a message via Yahoo to Tired-old
HOLE IN One. take a close look at the carpet just behind the drivers seat at the wall. Any discoloration could mean a water leak in the gray water waste connector at the rear of the kitchen. There should be a removable panel near the floor( four screws). This will give you access to the area in question. The connector I'm talking about (we have a 2001 Discovery 38D). On our first trip we discovered this black plastic manifold was split in half allowing any gray water to leak past the kitchen into the carpet of the drivers side slide. Bummer (we were in Maine). Came home and got the item repaired to the tune of $600. We had checked for leaks in the plumbing but could not see the damage because the water ran under the slideout and wicked through the carpet.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #25

Send a message via Yahoo to Tired-old
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoleInOne View Post
I have shopped the asking price and it is pretty good. He took it to a dealer to sell on consignment and offered it to me for their price. One thing in my favor is his DW said "Get rid of the motorhome". I asked if I could negotiate with her and he said "NO" with a laugh.
Please tell me you didn't buy it in Corbin, KY.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired-old View Post
I bought mine in Corbin, Ky. Why do you say that?
Old 02-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired-old View Post
Have found some online in Corbin KY. Problems with ky boys?
Old 02-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #28

Please read this link.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/buye...ky-150336.html