Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #1

Looking at a 38' Discovery.

I found a 2000 Discovery in great shape. This is smaller than I originally planned on and would like some opinions on the 275 Cummins, 30 Amp service, decals instead of paint. Also has anyone ever moved from a smaller coach to a larger coach and wished they had not? We will not be full time but do plan on some mountain climbing.
I am going to look at it this week so is there annything specific I need to check?
HoleInOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
We had a 2000 34 gas Damon with one slide and just moved up to a 39 330 hp DP Discovery with 3 slide outs and not looking back! I would suggest having an inspection done by somebody qualified, if you're not... It'll cost a few hundred bucks, but worth the investment. Most of the times the inspector can find his fee (or more) in things that should be and will be taken care of by the current owner/seller. Good luck!
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
We had an 03 Excursion, 39'6". Diesel,was a 330 HP cat. Plenty of power for this coach. There are many discussions regarding weight to HP needs. I always used 10 HP for every foot, works well. In this case the 275 Cummins might be a bit light. However your gross weight will be a much better guide. Obviously full body paint is a better product than decals that fade or crack, but the full body paint cost much more. The decals can be replaced, just have to be very miticulous in there removal as the gel coat may lift as it did in our 03. Are you sure this coach is just 30 amp? Tires, refrigerator, slide motors, engine oil analysis etc. etc. as mentioned it pays to have the coach surveyed. Best of luck!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Personally, I like the older Discovery's and almost bought one a few times.

We only had 30A on our last coach and it wasn't really an issue. The main drawbacks is that it will only run one A/C compressor at a time but that's probably not really an issue (it will automatically shut down one and the other as required) and the thing that bugged me more (but again isn't really that big of a deal) is that on ours, the W/D was on the same breaker as the microwave and you couldn't use both at the same time (there was a switch to select one or the other).

Having decals vs full paint is pretty common for older motorhomes and unfortunately most of the time, on mhs that old, they are starting to fade / peel.

It will have an Cummins ISB - not tons of power but many owners are very happy with it and it gets very good mileage compared to other DPs (many owners report around 11mpg). One of the drawbacks for same is that I'm pretty sure that combination is only rated to tow 5000 lbs.

You stated 38'. If so it's probably a 37V which will have 2 slides.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #5

I would be concerned about the 30 amp service. My opinion is that one ac will not keep the coach cool in hot summer months. I live in the south where temp. gets in the uper 90's.
We have a 300HP Cummins and have enough power and get over 10 MPG towing.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
We had 30 amp power on our 34, and if you keep the blinds drawn, you can keep it pretty cool on one rooftop unit... Even in very hot weather. Obviously 50 amp and two units are better and work less... But cost more upfront.

Clayobx, if you had a 39' Excursion with a 330 hp CAT... and feel 10 hp per ft is a good rule to live by... Then 390 hp would be what you would want... But say the 330 has more than enough power?
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
We had 30 amp power on our 34, and if you keep the blinds drawn, you can keep it pretty cool on one rooftop unit... Even in very hot weather. Obviously 50 amp and two units are better and work less... But cost more upfront.

Clayobx, if you had a 39' Excursion with a 330 hp CAT... and feel 10 hp per ft is a good rule to live by... Then 390 hp would be what you would want... But say the 330 has more than enough power?
Yes Steve, the 10 HP is a guide. In this case the Cat had 850 Ft. lbs of torque. The GVWR was proportional. My present coach is 43'6" powered by a Cummins 450 ISL obviously the gross weight is far higher. The ISL has 1250 ft lbs of torque. One other point the cat pulled our 4700 lb toad and I still had plenty of power. That cat ran strong!
Old 02-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Shoot Steve, you have the same Cat! You know how strong that engine is.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I like the 30 amp service setup. Both a/c will run at the same time until something else with heavy draw comes on that causes one to shed - the microwave for example. We have been in hot socal desert weather with ours and it would keep up.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #10

Another thing, this has a rear radiator. Will that be a problem? This has the original tires and he had them inspected last year and they said they looked fine. This coach has been stored in a climate controlled garage since new.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is a 2000 coach with orginal tires still on it? You will want to change them out soonest, no matter what they look like.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
We had a 30 amp 2002 Fleetwood Bounder and as stated above, with the shed feature (preventing too much current to be drawn) everything was fine. We are in the south and in 11 years, we never felt the AC units couldn't cool us enough.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
BTW, our 40 ft Discovery has a Cummins 350hp engine and we towed a toad across the mountains from Kentucky to NC with no problem. Maybe it would have been easier with a bigger engine but I felt it did fine. Of course I had just traded in the Bounder gas engine and compared to that, about anything would be easier coming over the mountains towing.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
This is a 2000 coach with orginal tires still on it? You will want to change them out soonest, no matter what they look like.
Yeah I know. The guy that owns this is real anal. I am anxious to see this. His comment was this thing doesn't have a scratch on it. He also owns a 99 vette that hasn't ever been wet. Not only never been driven in rain but never washed. Wiped down after every drive.