Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2015, 09:39 AM   #29

If you drive it 8K a year in 5 years it will be 9 year old with 150K miles. I would think that would be normal mileage and shouldn't affect resale. At that point condition is probably more important than mileage.

You'll likely have to replace house items (stove, refrig, furnishings) by that time but the structure and mechanics are likely to be fine

datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2015, 11:14 AM   #30
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
If the coach has been well maintained, and it sounds like it has, then I would not be concerned about the miles. It sounds like you've found a fantastic deal!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:52 PM   #31

We bought a coach that had been on the NASCAR circuit in nov 2009. Ours had 85,000 miles on it then and 120,000 now. Other than the drivers seat our coach interior was very lightly used. It had miles on it but not much time in the house. Our generator had 2,300 hours on it when we bought it and about 3000 now.

If you can buy the Mountain Air for 1/2 high NADA that sounds like a great deal to me.

We have been able to use a very high end coach with a beautiful interior that we could have never afforded if it had been pristine. I am not sorry at all I bought ours and you likely will feel the same way if you go through with your deal.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:58 PM   #32

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
Keep in mind the resale will be commensurate with miles, then go for it!
Not on diesels according to NADA there is no deduction for high mileage.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:31 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by miknkat View Post
Thank you all for the great information. I respect every ones knowledge and expertise. Can someone speak to the generator. It is a 10kw with 4423 hrs on it.(averages out to 2-3 hrs a day which sounds right if on the circuit). Should this be a concern? What maintenance should have been done to keep it in working order? When does a coach generator need an overhaul? What is the cost to refurbish?
Also, as I stated in an earlier e-mail the batteries are original. There are 2 chassis and 6 house batteries........I am told replacement would run around $1500 when it's time. Does that sound right and should I be planning that soon? Thanks again!
miknkat, The generator is just getting broken in also, same as the motor! I had a new motor put in my semi, and it did not get broken in till after 100,000 mi's, I also had a new diesel generator installed, 8500w cont./10,000w surge, installed, and it started running very good around 4000hrs! The diesel generators will run for 15 to 20k hours or more before needing overhaul! So, in my experience, you have found a very good deal, buy it! Enjoy it! As far as re-sale, don't worry, if it is in great shape, still looks good, and has been maintained, and you have all the records for the maintenance, it will be easy to sell! Go for it! Rail!
Old 02-11-2015, 05:07 AM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Did you check any of them thru google? Quite a few2011s some with prices. You might get a better price negotiating milage comps.
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:46 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Not on diesels according to NADA there is no deduction for high mileage.

While NADA has no deduction, there is market place perception. Dealer on trade in and most buyers will deduct significantly for mileage over 100k. There is the opportunity, as informed buyers know the risk difference is nil. In fact an informed buyer, assuming other things equal, would rather a Diesel have 20k miles per year than a 2k. IMHO
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:57 AM   #36

This is great to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
We bought a coach that had been on the NASCAR circuit in nov 2009. Ours had 85,000 miles on it then and 120,000 now. Other than the drivers seat our coach interior was very lightly used. It had miles on it but not much time in the house. Our generator had 2,300 hours on it when we bought it and about 3000 now.

If you can buy the Mountain Air for 1/2 high NADA that sounds like a great deal to me.

We have been able to use a very high end coach with a beautiful interior that we could have never afforded if it had been pristine. I am not sorry at all I bought ours and you likely will feel the same way if you go through with your deal.
Thank you so much for your reply. We are in the same boat as you were - we did not have this new of a luxury coach in our budget. Your affirmation and satisfaction is very comforting! We are just waiting for a loan approval and then we will take a long test drive and have a final house inspection. If everything checks out, we will be new MA owners! I will keep everyone posted.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:12 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOwl View Post
Did you check any of them thru google? Quite a few2011s some with prices. You might get a better price negotiating milage comps.
I have checked virtually every 2011 ma 4344 on the web. The retails range from $259k to $299k. The NADA book value is $254k-$311k.
The agreed deal is approx. 45% under retails and NADA book. I feel very good with the price, especially when looking at a coach with minimal use and according to all of you contributing.......an engine barely broken in.
Thanks for your help.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:57 AM   #38
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"miknkat".......Over the years I've heard people say that "diesels will run forever", "just getting broken in", etc. I disagree with that normally. Most motor homes that have 150K -200K are about 20 years old and everything from the interior to alternator and seals are worn out. But, in your case this would be the exception. A lot of miles were put on in a short amount of time with very little usage of the interior. Add in the fact that driver's for these type of coaches usually keep them looking nice and well serviced.

It should be a great coach and I wouldn't be afraid of buying it. When it comes to resale, keep in mind that you're getting a good price on it now and when you're ready to sell in 3-5 years you can sell for a little less without taking a beating, especially if the mileage starts to level off while you're using it.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:41 AM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I think it's all relative. You are paying less up front due to high mileage and wye you decided to sell the buyer will pay you less due to high mileage.

Mechanically, as everyone has stated, these units will give you hundreds of thousands of miles so if it checks out now then you are prob good to go.

If you are buying an RV hoping to get a great return a few years later well good luck. Expect 6-8% depreciation a year from now.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:34 PM   #40

Just have to wonder if this coach is located in Fort Myers? I was dealing on the same coach I think. I guess you were first chance. I just retired and could not get my money out of investments for 2 month so I had to walk away. All the information was similar as to what you have received. It was pushing over what I was wanting to spend but seemed like it was worth it. I did not fly down to look at it since I could not get him to wait for the cash. I understood and he seemed like a good guy. I have his number and he has mine for future coaches. Please let me know if you get the coach.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:39 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompsonsgt View Post
Just have to wonder if this coach is located in Fort Myers? I was dealing on the same coach I think. I guess you were first chance. I just retired and could not get my money out of investments for 2 month so I had to walk away. All the information was similar as to what you have received. It was pushing over what I was wanting to spend but seemed like it was worth it. I did not fly down to look at it since I could not get him to wait for the cash. I understood and he seemed like a good guy. I have his number and he has mine for future coaches. Please let me know if you get the coach.
Yes, I am sure this is the same coach. The owner mentioned someone else was interested and would fly in if I declined. Thanks for checking in. It is a beauty and we are excited at the opportunity. We spent 3 hours with it Sunday and it is as good as advertised. Carfax checked out - 1 owner from NC. Newmar and Freightliner verified that the coach was well maintained from their records. Waiting on loan approval and then I will have the coach inspected and hopefully will be driving it home soon.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:25 PM   #42

Where is this coach located? Do you have a link to a sale ad for it?