Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2015, 02:15 PM   #1

Looking at a high mileage 2011 Mountain Aire

Hello, I have been reading the forums for several months to learn as much as possible about the RV life. My wife and I are newbies ready to join the RV lifestyle as fulltimers. Our mission is to check off as many bucket list items as we can traveling across the America's and Canada for the next 3-5 years. We are now actively looking for a Class A diesel pusher. My Harley must come with and I have decided I want to put it on a hydrolift on the back of the coach in lieu of trailering it. We have been focused on a used 41-43' tag axle.
Here's where I need some advise - we have found a 2011 Mountain Aire 4344 with 114k miles on it. The high mileage is because it was part of the Nascar race circuit and the owner had a driver that cared for it and drove it from race to race while the owner flew in each week. The owner had a new Prevost built. The coach is in fantastic shape - almost looks new. It is priced accordingly for the high mileage (1/2 of Nada high end value). I will have a full inspection next week. Cummins and Freightliner already gave the engine and chassis a very good rating and said it would only recommend changing filters. Tires are almost new. Batteries are original but tested high. I will only buy it if the inspection matches the appearance with few surprises.
We love the coach and our budget would not allow a low mile 2011 Mountain Aire. The coach is a bath and 1/2 all electric beauty - everything we had on our wish and must have lists.
We will have a loan on it......if it gets approved. What are some thoughts or concerns from the people with experience? My biggest concern is if we were to sell or trade it in 4-5 years, it would have around 150-160k miles on it. Would we be able to move it? Would the coach continue to depreciate at a high rate if we only put 8-10k miles a year on it? Would we be able to get an extended warranty on a 4 yr old high mileage coach? Or should we just have the attitude to take care of it while we drive the wheels off it and enjoy life while meeting new friends and seeing this great country? Other thoughts and ideas are welcome.
miknkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2015, 03:01 PM   #2

My 2003 Dynasty will have 100,000 miles this spring on the way home. It runs perfect and other than having to get aquahot fixed everything is what we want. Brakes, tires, air suspension, engine, alt, started all check just fine. I would not want a newer with dft and all the issues of the newer pollution problems. Since I never expect to sell until I cant drive it anymore so resale dont mean much to use..
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:50 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Or should we just have the attitude to take care of it while we drive the wheels off it and enjoy life while meeting new friends and seeing this great country? Other thoughts and ideas are welcome.
There you go. Live for now. Buy it.
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:24 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
114k is not high mileage for a diesel. However, what about the rest of the coach?
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:06 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

And best luck on the RV search.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:10 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
set 20 - 30k back for a new drivetrain and you're all set.

No matter what the mileage, it's always a gamble. But obviously the higher the mileage, the lower the odds.
scep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:52 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The high mileage is taken into account with the current price. If it has been maintained (which based on the various inspections you indicate it has been) it should last a long time. These engines are made to drive +500K miles. When you sell in 4-5 years the coach should still hold a decent value.

Good Luck
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:02 PM   #8

114k is not a problem for a diesel coach, and even the newer model gas coaches if well maintained and they have a high quality interior. I would think a new gas Canyon Star can be expected to go 200 to 250k easily.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:07 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Is this coach Sangria with dark wood? There is another thread going about a similar coach. I also started a thread about a coach back in Nov. A dealer in Texas called me about a prospective arrival, that never materialized. It definitely had my interest for the price. Too much of a coincidence with the Make, model, mileage, and story. Good luck. The mileage didn't scare me off, it just never made it to Texas. As you can see, I ended up with a very similar coach (Rear bth with a 1/2 bth), a few less miles and a few years older.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:20 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
For what it's worth, I own an equipment manufacturing company that operates three over the road tractors pulling step decks. I just bought a 2011 389 Peterbilt with an ISX Cummins 450 with 475k on the clock. I have always bought trucks that are that about 2-3 years old with 400-500k on the trucks with no problems. We service every 15,000 miles and pull oil samples at the same time. (Blackstone Labs). I don't expect any powertrain issues until 750-800k miles other than small stuff like starters, alternators and maybe a turbo.

Too few miles can be a bigger concern than the kind of miles you're talking about. Just my opinion, and worth every cent you paid for it.
Augerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:28 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Powertrain...just getting broken in. If it checks out, drive it like you stole it.
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:37 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerboy View Post
For what it's worth, I own an equipment manufacturing company that operates three over the road tractors pulling step decks. I just bought a 2011 389 Peterbilt with an ISX Cummins 450 with 475k on the clock. I have always bought trucks that are that about 2-3 years old with 400-500k on the trucks with no problems. We service every 15,000 miles and pull oil samples at the same time. (Blackstone Labs). I don't expect any powertrain issues until 750-800k miles other than small stuff like starters, alternators and maybe a turbo.

Too few miles can be a bigger concern than the kind of miles you're talking about. Just my opinion, and worth every cent you paid for it.
I was for thirty plus years in the trucking business, specialized heavy haulers, weight grossing up to 120,000# and we never bought new trucks, we always bought them off lease at around 200K miles. We generally got at least 400-500K before the first overhaul. So this unit is "just" broke in. Further the wear and tear on a motor home is nothing compared to that of a road truck. if the price is right go for it.
Winnebago Journey 2002 WKP32T, Cummins ISB 275 HP, Allison 2000 5 speed, Air Dog Rapter Lift pump, Michelin XRV all around, TOAD; Xterra 2012 4X4 Auto, driveshaft disconnect. ATT MOBLEY, $20 unlimited internet.
GAGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:47 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree with others that mileage on a dp is much less of a problem or concern than on a gas model. 100k is only an issue because it sounds high. I would say that if the previous owner was a racer or even associated with it that he probably maintained it well. As long as you have good records and the price takes the mileage into account, then go for it and enjoy the lifestyle. Sounds like you both really like the coach so I wouldn't worry about the mileage. The other thing to keep in mind is that these are not investments. They never appreciate so it's only a matter of how much it will depreciate. Whatever you are saving on the purchase side by it being a high mileage coach you will also expect to lose when you go to sell. For now I would suggest to have your inspections done and go enjoy the lifestyle!
Longweekends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:53 AM   #14

You don't mention the price vs. a low mileage coach, but it almost sounds like you are saving enough to cover a worst case engine rebuild if that were to happen. If that's the case, it almost sounds like no risk. Also, based on the way it was used, the house is probably almost new. The Mountain-Aire is a dynamite coach, if as nice as you describe I would probably go for it.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote