Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-29-2016, 12:03 PM   #15
To ALL...
Please remember..."WE ARE ALL IMPERFECT PEOPLE LIVING IN AN IMPERFECT WORLD LOOKING FOR THE PERFECT MOTORHOME"!!! Do the best you can do with what you have, cuz the Perfect Motorhome/RV AIN'T out there!!! Carry on...

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2016, 01:11 PM   #16
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club

It is not going to matter what you purchase as they all have their problems. I remember one time when my coach was less than a year old and I was in Junction City having a major slide problem fixed. There were 20 sites for RV with electric only. There was everything in there from a pop-up to a Prevost and all where having something Fixed. Plus there was a no-hook-up area with 20 more RV's waiting for parts.

Speaking from experience with a Winnebago we have had many issues with ours. Others have had good luck.

As for Thor, we have a few friends with that coach and they are having problems.

Some additional information: A friend has a new Thor Tuscany. As he was driving down the highway in rain it started coming in from the top of the windshield. The problem was that the manufacturer never put a seal at the top of the windshield. This same Thor, brand new, had problems with the water pump not working and the ice maker not working. Problem with the pump was the connection going to the pump was not on tight so it just sucked air. The problem with the ice maker was that the valve was hidden (also sittin over an electrical outlet) and when turned on the fitting came off and squirted water all over the place.

Quality control at many of the manufactures, not only Thor, are very lacking. Someone once asked where the antenna cable was in the roof and the reply was, "It depends on which fine craftsman threw it and on what day of the week."

Consider purchasing something between 1 to 2 years old and the previous owner should have had the major bugs worked out.

As you most likely know, it is a rolling earthquake going down the highway.

p.s., Welcome and don't pay no never mind to what Ken says. He really is a nice guy but please don't tell him I said that. His head is to big already.

Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:01 PM   #17
Thor Owners Club
As a Tuscany (and before that a Mandalay) owner, I'm used to the Thor bashing on these forums. I don't so much mind it when it comes from a current or former Thor owner, but I'm less amused when it comes from someone with no first-hand experience with Thor products.

Yes, Thor has come in for a lot of criticism in the last few years, some of it earned (poor factory quality control), some less-so. The company's biggest mistake, in my opinion, was introducing the Schwintek electric slideout mechanism (also used by Winnebago and others) on so much of its product line at once, then finding out the limitations of the system. That said, we've had our 2014 Tuscany 40RX for nearly 3 years and 30k miles, with no major problems, including on the two Schwintek slides. (The full-wall slide is hydraulic.) We felt at the time we bought this coach (and still do) that of all the new coaches available in our price range ($200-250k actual selling price, not fictional MSRP), the Tuscany had the best combination of features and floor plan for the money.

From our experience as owners and shoppers, a given $$ value gets you a similar coach from all the major manufacturers. The differences between manufacturers, I think, tend to be overstated, and lean heavily toward "my brand is the best." So ask your questions, and take all of the answers you get (including mine) with a grain of salt.

Crabby Mike
2014 Tuscany 40RX
towing 2016 Grand Cherokee
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote