Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2016, 02:21 PM   #1

Question Looking at a Thor Itasca...

We are veteran RVers currently with a 2005 Monaco Camelot.We are thinking of buying newer when our after market warranty runs out in Jan 2017. We have been looking at a Thor Itasca 42'...I have no knowledge of any Thor products, but I know there are huge differences in manufacturer quality and durability. For example the Monaco brand seems to have a fairly good reputation, does anyone out there have any comments or suggestions regarding the Thor brand or the Itascas in particular?
ATGS Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2016, 03:13 PM   #2

Don't know exactly what you're looking at. Itasca is a Winnebago product. Many here on the forum don't have a high opinion of Thor products if that's what you're looking at. Itasca's, I think, are well respected.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:37 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to iRV2!
You might want to do a little more research.
My Itasca was made by Winnebago. It is a fine coach.
rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATGS Jake View Post
We are veteran RVers currently with a 2005 Monaco Camelot.We are thinking of buying newer when our after market warranty runs out in Jan 2017. We have been looking at a Thor Itasca 42'...I have no knowledge of any Thor products, but I know there are huge differences in manufacturer quality and durability. For example the Monaco brand seems to have a fairly good reputation, does anyone out there have any comments or suggestions regarding the Thor brand or the Itascas in particular?
Jake,
As someone who's done a huge amount of research...I would not even consider a Thor product!!! And that's coming from former/current owners and many many salespeople that I've spoken to...who also have them on their lots!

Winnebago puts out a great product and Itasca is the very same company and coach...just different color palates...

Personally I have whittled my list down to Tiffin, Newmar, and possibly Bounder in a gasser model..32-36 feet and from 2-6 years old. Let someone else take the huge financial hit and the hassle of getting the initial bugs out which ALL manufacturers experience in any new vehicle...

Just my thoughts...do what you feel is right for you and your family!!
Best O' Luck...........
Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:32 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
What an insult to call an Itasca a Thor. As noted, Itasca is a Winnebago product.

Have fun looking.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:39 AM   #6

First of all I mixed up my models...it is the Thor Tuscany we are looking at. I tried to edit it after posting but...such is life.
I do appreciate the comments and corrections.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATGS Jake View Post
First of all I mixed up my models...it is the Thor Tuscany we are looking at. I tried to edit it after posting but...such is life.
I do appreciate the comments and corrections.
Thor has all kinds of RVs at all price points. They started in 1980 when they bought Airstream, which still has a pretty good reputation.
Operating Entities - Thor Industries, Inc.
IF you click on Thor motor coach, then shop new motor homes, you'll find all kinds of motor homes, again at all price points.

In 1995 I bought a new, lower tier Thor Four Winds 5000 Class C 21 A motor home. I kept that trouble/problem free motor home until it was just under 10 years old and just under 50,000 miles. I also used it as my daily driver for all those years.

The only major problem I had was within the first year when the aluminum roof and front cabover wall started getting pinholes from electrolysis. Four Winds paid to have the aluminum pulled off the roof and replaced with a rubber roof, as well as putting a fiberglass piece on the front cabover wall.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:51 PM   #8

WOW!... what a way to welcome a new member... Dear "alank" just looking for info. I admitted I misspoke on the model...?, really? many here don't have a high opinion of Thor??, listen to how you sound..."TXiceman", nice...

MitchF, and Wonderlust, I appreciate your input, wow where is the mission statement, I'm not trying to threaten the "Senior Members"...Jake
Old 07-29-2016, 04:32 AM   #9

I don't think anyone here is trying to criticize or intimidate you, just trying to give you info. As Mitch said, Thor is a huge company with many different products at many different price points. They do not make the Itasca brand of MH's.

Sorry you received the info as criticism, people deliver and receive info in different ways.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:26 AM   #10

ignore the bashers, if you are an experienced RV'r, you probably already know what to look for.
if someone offers objective feedback with specifics to the model you are looking at, well then thats something you can look for
good luck!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:53 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Met a fellow in Colorado with a Tuscany and he was not a happy camper.

He had a new Tuscany for about 9 months and the dealer had the RV more than he had. It had been out a few times and they always had an issue or two or more and back to the dealer for a few weeks. He was looking for a way to get the coach back to the plant and try and get it all fixed as the lsit was getting longer instead of shorter.

He told me that he wished he still had his old Winnebago.

If you go with the Tuscany (or any other brand), be sure to check out the dealer reviews for service. The dealer can go a long way in helping with problems.

But a couple of years back we meet a fellow with a Winnebago Tour that was having a leak issue on the full wall slide. Winnebago was working with him and getting him into a close by dealer to resolve the problem as he was a full timer. This was the only problem he was having...not a growing list.

My earlier post was not meant as mean or anything...just poking fun. I should have used a emotion icon with it

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:59 AM   #12

And remember Thor owns Jayco now with is Entegra, A well respected company in high line units.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:33 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

At $400k+, the Tuscanny 42 puts you in a price class where there are several really excellent coaches. Have you looked at other models in the same price range? Winnie Grand Tour & Ellipse Ultra, American Dream, Allegro Bus, Dutch Star, etc.

Thor has re-organized and re-branded their motorhomes so often in the last several years it is difficult to assess a track record for them.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:46 AM   #14

Thanks to all for the info... been looking at several brands, must have had Itasca on my mind (maybe a Freudian slip) again sorry for saying "Thor Itasca" when I meant "Thor Tuscany"...

Tags
thor