Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #1

Looking at buying a 1999 American Dream

We found a 40' 1999 American Dream MH ($52,900) that had all the interior specs and floor plan my wife had said she wanted before we started looking. It was in better condition than some of the 2000-2003 American Coach units we had been looking at lately. (We saw it when the owners drove in to PPL to sell. It had not been prepped by PPL yet, we were 1st to see it and talk to owners.). Inside condition was excellent and well kept; no evidence of leaks. Outside was in very good shape; no scrapes, dents, scratches or patches. No sealing areas that looked like they had had trouble with. No cracked glass/windshield. Found one 2"x 3" area where the paint was raised and/or blistered. Looked like slight aluminum corrosion beneath the paint. Unit had been garaged. I drove it for a short 3 mi. test. Not enough time to really get any engine or trans. temp. up though. Exhaust break and cruse control worked well. Engine is a Cummins 330 and sounded fine and felt about right on accelerating. The 6 speed Allison trans. shifted alright but I am not familiar with that trans. How much if any slack shoul you expect shifting from R to D? Didn't notice any vibration; steered fine, no drifting. Odometer showed 51,200 miles. Second owner has had it 3 yrs. Said he put new air bags in and a new fuel transfer pump in a year ago. From what I could see the bags didn't look old. He has all the maintenance records and appropriate info/spects. on all equipment in/on the unit. Looks like he took as much care on the outside/mechanical things as the wife did on the inside. The tires all match and the dot stamp shows them to be about 4 years old. No cupping or cracking; plenty of tread left.
This will be our first MH. We have a 2008 32RLD Mountaineer Edition TT now. So......I'm familiar with some of the similar equipment but realize this will be an entirely new ball game. Everything will be checked out by the PPL tecks and we will supposedly be shown how everything works and be told what doesn't. The engine, if serviced correctly should go a long way but the , trans., suspension and driveline are my bigger concerns.
Any suggestions as to what I should specifically look at on this particular 1999 AC MH before plunking down my hard earned $$$?
Hope I don't make a nuisance of myself on this forum but you guys and gals have been there and done that. I'd rather learn from your experience than my inexperience.

Dustdevil (Bill)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #2

May be a great coach but do more looking if you haven't do so. Check the maintenance records. Check the roof! Also drive a tag before you buy a 40 with a single axle. I have a 2002 Newmar Dutchstar 3852 which is just a hair longer than 39. I wish I would have spent a little more and gotten a tag. The tag is more stable and will ride better which make the DW happy. Lots of great advice from the members in this forum with tons more experience than myself. Safe Travels!

Old 08-25-2013, 07:07 AM   #3

I had the same Moho last year we sold. All of the american series coaches are well made and the manufacture is a great resource for there products. Mine had 110000 mile and still solid no rattles or mechanical problems. One are to check on that bus is the storage bays. Look where the walls meet the floor if there is any desperation walk away from it! This is a very expensive repair caused by the steel subfloor rotting away. People seem to neglect the underneath of these coaches! Every other year they need to be under coated. Besides that if roof and body are good you will be thrilled. Also that has a heavy spartan chassis so for a single wheel coach it does drive very well. Good luck
Old 08-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #4

99 Dream will have a fiberglass roof and the ISC electronic engine.

Only thing to check closely chassis wise are the upper and lower ball joints.

Also inspect the underside of the coach. Undercoating should be in good shape and there should be no wall separation as mentioned above.

The Spartan MM chassis is excellent and a dream to drive (no pun intended).

Support from American Coach and Spartan is also excellent.

DaveS
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
Old 08-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
The Dream is a fine coach. Have it checked by a pro...and if okay, go for it.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #6

And WELCOME to the forum! You will find this forum to be the best place for information, advice, and help no matter what your questions may be! This group of people are the greatest! No question is too small, or silly!
Old 08-27-2013, 07:09 AM   #7

Former Boater is correct. Have the Ball Joints checked, early Spartan Chassis's had a problem with the boots dry rotting. It wouldn't be a deal buster for me. You can negotiate a lower price if they have to be replaced. About a $2,000 fix.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:05 AM   #8

early 99 dream had a rubber roof,
Old 09-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #9
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
I looked at a lot of coaches, ended up buy a 97 dream the fit an finish and quality seemed higher on the older coach then on some of the newer ones. This one only had 67,000 miles on it. I did put new bags on it because of the age of the bags. It was one of the last Gillig chassis and the bags were not easy to find.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
99 Dream will have a fiberglass roof and the ISC electronic engine.

Only thing to check closely chassis wise are the upper and lower ball joints.

Also inspect the underside of the coach. Undercoating should be in good shape and there should be no wall separation as mentioned above.

The Spartan MM chassis is excellent and a dream to drive (no pun intended).

Support from American Coach and Spartan is also excellent.

DaveS
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
BUZZZ.....Wrong answer the '99 Dream will be a rubber roof.
Good power train combo.
Spartan and Fleetwood are excellent for customer service.
Mine had some rust issues at the bottom of the rear wheel areas and right front wheel area. That is my winter project this year to likely rplace with stainless steel structure (just like an MCI coach). The nice thing is the '99 will have a slide.