Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2019, 10:23 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Looking at buying a Jayco

Good Evening,

Looking at purchasing a 2019 Jayco Precept Prestige 36U and I am concerned about the quality/workmanship of the Motorhome. It looks very good but read a lot of disturbing reviews. Can anyone please give me some feedback on your experience with a Jayco Motorhome.

Thank you

Eddie
alacan62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2019, 10:27 PM   #2

Very low end
kalinina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:18 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
That is disappointing. What makes you give such a bad rating?
Old 02-21-2019, 05:28 AM   #4

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alacan62 View Post
That is disappointing. What makes you give such a bad rating?
We own a 2017 Jayco Precept 35s and love it. Sure there have been some issues, but all covered under the 2 year warranty (a plus). I believe any motorhome will have some things that need fixing. For the price we paid we got a lot of bang for our buck. If you check other MH owners forums there will always be some negative reviews. I guess it comes down to what features you want in a MH and what you can afford.Good luck in your search and enjoy what ever MH you decide on.
GMA385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:37 AM   #5

Oh hell no...... 6 hours and proud of it..... Never seen a staple gun move that fast. I can tell you from experience that half those fasteners missed their target. Tight is good, stripped is better.... Enjoy. Have tissues close by....

(That said, the poster above me is happy with theirs and that is all that matters....He's right, they all have their shortcomings)

'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:41 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
You may get a better response on the Jayco Owners Forum here.....
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:12 PM   #7

I had a 2016 Precept 35U and it was a very nice RV, I did not realize under the dash and much of interior sub structure was made of wood instead of steel. I think its a nice affordable weekend & summer travels RV, but may not be great for fulltiming. Two years later I bought a new WB 39ft Adventurer 38Q gasser mostly for the nicer interior layout, but I do see alot of betterments in the WB vs the Jayco. I was surprised, since Jayco owns Integra, you would think Jayco would use some of that expertise in the Precept.
MAC 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:44 PM   #8

We have a 2019 Precept Prestige 36U. This is Jayco's top line unit and is not junk like mentioned above. We have been very pleased with the quality and the floor plan. Only had a couple minor problems which weren't Jayco's fault and they were fixed promptly. We're actually in the middle of a 12 day camping trip and all systems are working perfectly. The J Ride plus is a big bonus as are things like the residential fridge and the macerator. Also two years of warranty.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:47 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Thank you
Old 02-21-2019, 11:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacan62 View Post
Good Evening,

Looking at purchasing a 2019 Jayco Precept Prestige 36U and I am concerned about the quality/workmanship of the Motorhome. It looks very good but read a lot of disturbing reviews. Can anyone please give me some feedback on your experience with a Jayco Motorhome.

Thank you

Eddie
Unlike some of the less expensive Jayco units, RV Consumer Group gives the Precept pretty high reliability ratings.
That said, if you're not set on buying new, you might want to consider a pre-owned unit where the previous buyer has taken the initial depreciation hit and worked out all of the initial defects, and of course allows you to look at other manufacturers units that that have more features but were above your price range when new.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:19 AM   #11

It's still a thor product, something I would avoid. A lot of thor supporters though and usually thor buyers who like to defend their bad decisions. I'm old enough to know and admit when I made a mistake like the brief Vista ownership. Expensive tuition in my life's degree.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:53 AM   #12

But from a higher rated company and go used if budget requires. In our search, we ended up deciding that we wanted a gas motorhome by Newmar, Tiffin or Winnebago/Itasca. We're very happy with our Newmar and now that we have spent more time in it, you can really see where their level of construction and quality is really very good. That being said, I would prefer the solid wood cabinet construction found in Tiffins, but I really like the wall construction of the Newmar and along with their AC duct system and double pane windows, it's a very quiet motorhome.

I found Randall Eaton's "Motorhome Comparison Guide" very informative and useful as part of our search. It's a bit pricey for what it is, but it seems to be one of the few books of it's type.
https://rvreviews.net/motorhome-comparison-guide/

Look at a lot of motorhomes by different manufacturers before you make a final decision, and good luck in your search!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:09 AM   #13

We had, have a 2016 31 Alante 31V. Basically a bare bones unit. I can pick it apart, but I can pick our Phaeton apart also. There are things that I shake my head and ask myself what the hell were they thinking, knowing one more step of a buck, and two minutes, and all is well. Then at the other end, as in the bunk above the cab, IMO, is a well constructed piece. Being our first MH, wrong floor plan, and wanted more room to stay in a month at a time. If we were doing 1 week and weekends, would still be in it.
RWDJR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:34 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
It's still a thor product, something I would avoid. A lot of thor supporters though and usually thor buyers who like to defend their bad decisions. I'm old enough to know and admit when I made a mistake like the brief Vista ownership. Expensive tuition in my life's degree.
End of May 2016 I purchased a Thor Hurricane 34J. Thor has been great. Onan, a Cummins owned company, has been my biggest problem. They want to blame everything on bad gas. Funny thing is my Ford V-10 didn't mind the gas. After 4 trips, 60 miles one way to the Cummins Service Center, and $650 in non-warrented service bills they finally installed a new carburetor and all my problems have vanished.
I have almost 20,000 miles on the motorhome and it has been great. I am also very happy that I don't have a huge amount of money tied up in my motorhome. That allows me dollars to spend on gas, traveling and my grandchildren! If the floor plan fits your wants, buy it! You can also buy a 7 year extended warranty for about $2000 to help put your mind at ease!

Happy travels and enjoy!
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, jayco