Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2019, 02:11 PM   #1

Looking at buying my first Diesel Pusher

I'm looking at a 2005 Fleetwood Revolution le 40E
What should I be aware of? Any particular areas I should investigate?
How much of a difference between a Cat9 400 hp and a Cummins ??
Is 1600 hours alot for an onan generator?
I know if I'm buying a 2005 to expect some issues. I just want to start with my eyes open. Thanks everyone for your input
I've learned alot from reading everyone eles post.
Whats the consenus about a Montana LLC?
I know lots of questions Hopefully I can help others
FJE101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2019, 05:36 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
FJE101,

I joined this forum and started with the same question about 3-4 months back. I was looking at 2000-2002 models due to my cash budget. After much help from so many very knowledgeable people this is what I concluded for my:

Since I’m looking at older units and would be doing much of the maintenance myself I had 2 must haves and 1 want. My unit must have a side radiator so I could readily access the engine. The belts, hoses etc are staring me in the face when I open the engine compartment. Secondly, I must have a diesel generator due to the longevity and can feed from my 118 gallon fuel tank. My want was one of the larger engines, the C7 caterpillar or the 8.3L Cummins. If you want to run the high lands of the west you will be pleased with the greater torque of the larger displacement. Torque is more important than hp in a motorhome.
I wouldn’t be worried about 1600 hours if it’s a diesel generator. Mine had close to 2500 hours and it starts right up and sings it’s song.

I hope this helps,

Romr

PS. I ended up with a 2001 Monaco Dynasty
ArkansasRomr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:02 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I'm not a Fleetwood guy so can't be any help on that.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:06 PM   #4

Both the Cat and Cummins are good motors. Be aware that some Cummins ISL's had a wrist pin issue that can lead to catastrophic failure of the engine. If you get the engine's serial number, you can see if it was affected.

1600 hours is nothing for a diesel generator. With proper maintenance, it should easily last the life of the motorhome. They have Kubota diesels which are nearly bulletproof.

The rear vs. side radiator thing isn't THAT big a deal. A side radiator is definitely preferable, but I'd take a coach with the right layout and a good maintenance history regardless of where the radiator was.

The best suggestion I can offer is to take your time looking at your prospective purchases. Try out everything you can in the coach. If you start finding little things that were neglected, it's likely bigger things were also.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:29 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum.

A CAT C9 in a 2005 Revolution should be fine as it is a pre-ACERT engine ...no ACERT and no DEF. Once they started using ACERT, many had problems with CATs especially in the larger C!3 and C15. I wouldn't worry too much about having a CAT engine in an RV even though they are no longer being put in new motorhomes. We've had two.

We looked at the 2005 Revolution back in 2006 but decided to go with Winnebago because we liked the package and value over Fleetwood but there's no good reason you should hesitate buying a 2005 Revolution with a CAT C9, in my opinion. I still have the brochure in my files and if you don't already have it, it's attached below.

Pertaining to the "consensus about a Montana LLC," I'd urge you to do a search as there are literally dozens of threads on this forum that address this. The reason for this suggestion is that anytime somebody starts a thread asking about this, a huge amount of misinformation is posted and these threads can get quite contentious. I've been called names and threatened both in public on the forum and in PMs as many really don't understand what it entails to do it in a legal manner and many believe that anybody that uses one is a scofflaw, cheater, and a criminal. With that said, most RVers will not be able to do it legally. You must adhere to the vehicle registration laws and what triggers registration in the state that you call your domicile. It's difficult to do and getting more difficult as states tighten their requirements as to what triggers registration. In synopsis, you must be retired or in a position where you are leaving your state of domicile regularly. If you are a occasional RV user and will be garaging your motorhome in your home state, you WILL be breaking the laws of your state ...no matter what state you reside. So unless you are a full-timer or are traveling so that you are NOT in your home state the majority of the time, do not even think about using a Montana LLC. We used one for over a decade while full-timing and did not break any laws. Again, make sure you research it well to make sure it fits your situation and talk to one of the lawyers at Bennett in Missoula as many here on the forum suggest. They'll talk with you for no charge to answer questions as long as you have some knowledge beforehand so you don't take up hours of their time. I will PM you should I see that you're getting absolutely wrong information but sometimes I don't check in on the forum regularly. There are a handful of members here on the forum that have good advice on Montana LLCs but more bad advice and misinformation is given here compared to accurate information.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2005_fleetwood_revolution.pdf (1.09 MB, 20 views)
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:00 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Double Post ^^^^^^^
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:09 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
]The above MT LLC info is spot on and while it would not apply to a 05, MT has added a annual “Luxury Tax” on high dollar vehicles less than 10 years old, negating some of the savings. I looked into it and even as half timers I could not avoid what GA or FL considers a “non resident” and I store my MH in GA where the tag’s cannot be seen. Sure, a lot of people get away with it but more states are enforcing their non resident laws which are hard to abide by unless you are full time.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgreen1069 View Post
Be aware that some Cummins ISL's had a wrist pin issue that can lead to catastrophic failure of the engine. If you get the engine's serial number, you can see if it was affected.
...courtesy of Route66,

Defect Summary: CERTAIN ISL CUMMINS CM850 DIESEL ENGINES PRODUCED FOR RECREATIONAL VEHICLE APPLICATIONS BETWEEN OCTOBER 17, 2005, AND APRIL 18, 2006, WITH ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER RANGE FROM 46543077 TO 46603939. THE CONNECTING ROD CONTAINS A MACHINING DEFECT IN THE WRIST PIN BUSHING OF THE ROD THAT COULD CAUSE SEIZURE OF THE PISTON PIN.

Consequence Summary: IF ALLOWED TO PROGRESS, THIS COULD LEAD TO ENGINE FAILURE WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF THE ROD RUPTURING THE BLOCK CAVITY. OIL AND DEBRIS ON THE ROADWAY COULD RESULT IN A VEHICLE CRASH.

Details on the recall: NHTSA Recall

That said, C7 CATs had a number of issues that were expensive fixes.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:12 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would suggest that you get an independent certified RV mechanic to inspect all the RV systems, including the roof. In addition I would have the engine, transmission, frame, etc. inspected by a diesel service shop. Having a coolant and oil analysis by a lab (like JG Lubricants ) would reveal any hidden problems.

Make sure everything is in writing!! Any purchase should be contingent upon successfully passing these inspections/tests.

I would do this to any used MH I was looking to buy.

https://www.jglubricantservices.com/
You get a 10% discount if you use "IRV2" as a promo code
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:34 AM   #10

Posting these questions here will get you a few answers and opinions. Doing the following will get you 1,000's.

All the questions you have...have been asked many times here and all you have to do is do a forum wide search:
How you do a forum wide search:
• Go to the green box at the top of this page
• Make sure IRV2 button is selected
• Type a brief subject word or phrase you want to search (i.e. “Montana LLC” advice, OR “buying a 2005 Fleetwood Revolution 40E need advice”, OR "CAT vs Cummins") you get the point
• Hit the search button

You'll have enough reading for months.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	irv2-search-box.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	232827  
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:34 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I also suggest you look at a side radiator model, at that age, the difference between a rear radiator and side radiator model is negligible.

I wouldn't be afraid of a higher mileage coach or high hour generator if they have been maintained. Our coach had 118K on it and the generator 2400 hours. Both had been well maintained and using them is better than letting them sit.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJE101 View Post
I'm looking at a 2005 Fleetwood Revolution le 40E
What should I be aware of? Any particular areas I should investigate?
How much of a difference between a Cat9 400 hp and a Cummins ??
Is 1600 hours alot for an onan generator?
I know if I'm buying a 2005 to expect some issues. I just want to start with my eyes open. Thanks everyone for your input
I've learned alot from reading everyone eles post.
Whats the consenus about a Montana LLC?
I know lots of questions Hopefully I can help others
Our last motorhome was a 2005 Fleetwood Providence with a CAT engine. Overall it was a great motorhome. Has some issues but nothing major.

The ride was nimble, more like a truck than a bug vehicle. I wanted to remodel the inside but my wide wanted a different floorplan so we upgraded.

Have it inspected by an inspector. Is this from a private party or a dealer?

The hours on the generator are fine, I can say the one frustrating issue we had was with the generator. It wouldn't run while driving and had the occasional issue while parked. It was something to do with the oil pressure sensor. It would shut down for low oil but the level was fine.

We had a small leak in the front of the slides that was due to the first owner now fixing one issue and trying to treat the symptom. Fixed it by taking the old caulk off and putting it where it belongs.

As far as the Montana LLC, what would your initial and annual costs be if you registered in your state? I have a Montana LLC and people will comment that it may bite you in the ass, I agree that some people may.

Myself I saved 25 to 30k on the initial registration and about 5k per year in property tax. It will cost you $800 to set up and $500 ish per year to keep in place. I can justify the LLC, my Coach is out of the state more than 180 days. I own a CT and Delaware LLC besides the Montana so it does set a pattern. I also own commercial real eastate and do travel to look at other properties. If someone ever investigated I have a very strong leg to stand on.

Now if it's a person who lives in X state and uses the motorhome 2 to 3 weeks a year, has a job as an accountant or welder and would not normally have a foreign LLC then that's a red flag. So like I showed above unless it's going to be considerable savings it's not worth it.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:45 PM   #13

Buying Fleetwood

Thanks everyone for your input
The one I am looking at is at a dealer.
Does it matter if the oil has just been changed for the oil analysis?
The coach has 60k on the odometer
It was serviced in June 18. Oil, filter, air filter ect.to the tune of $2100
Lots of small repairs including servicing the Chasis A/C
Old 01-23-2019, 01:49 PM   #14

I also have several other LLc's most in NJ and I live in North Carolina. I have a car and my Motorcycle tagged in NJ and a company truck and van in NC
If I register it in NC the initial cost is about $3k or so with a yearly of $650 or so
The person I talked to in Montana quoted me about $100 per year to renew and registered agent fee.
We are retired and plan to do a lot of traveling like 5 or 6 months a year .
I've been driving my car and bike for 4 yrs this way, mostly in NC no issues.
I'm looking at one at a dealer.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a NC rv inspector?

Tags
buying, diesel