Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2019, 06:40 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Looking at purchasing New 2018 Berkshire 43C

Considering buying a new 2018 Berkshire 43C from a dealer with odometer reading 400 miles. The MSRP is $378,899.00. Website list price is $284,553.00 and on Craigslist at $248,500 which is 64.5% of the MSRP. Based on looking at previous year's 43Cs I anticipate the DP will depreciate an additional 14.5% to 50% of the MSRP - at least that is what I have found looking at used DPs that are 3 model years old so guess I'm looking at about $185,000 plus tax, title and tags. Its a long way from what they are asking so will be willing to negotiate based on what they will be doing.

Since its 3 model years old and has been setting on the dealer's lot for at least 2 years ago what should I consider in making a deal? What red flags might arise

It probably has the original oil in the engine so am planning on having them change it, all filters and lube RV as part of purchase agreement.

The tires are probably 2017 so replacing them is going to be in 3 more years.

Not knowing the Cummins engine but my C7 air intake filter requires changing every 2 years and its not cheap.

I have a basement A/C that I love but this one has 3 low profile A/Cs on the roof. They need to be checked and serviced because when unused since installed. Compressors have a way of freezing up when not used.

Additional insight and/or correction to my thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Richard
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2019, 01:46 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I think you are going to have a hard time getting them to $185k on a new one, even if it has sat 2 years.
I agree with you on changing the oil and filters. The low profile AC systems are probably DuoTherm Penguins. I doubt the time spent sitting has degraded them. Your main issues are probably new RV construction and lack of quality control.

If you look on RVTrader, used Berkshire pricing is all over the place. The first red flag is there are currently over 230 Berkshires listed for sale. There are several 2012-2013 models under $100k and 2015 models listed for under $130k.
If this is your last RV and you never have to sell it, then it doesn't matter.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:18 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'd request a engine and generator oil and fuel filter change, all new batteries. As per Mfg warranty requirements change every xxxx number of miles , hours or months..
jaearhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:31 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
That must be an XLT? On the Berkshire sub-forum you’ll find a number of people who actually have been in them and own/have gone thru purchasing one so doubtless they’d have an informed opinion. I think you’d have a heck of a deal to get it for that bottom price, but heck, it doesn’t hurt to try and you just might. Read the forums and you’ll see every manufacturer regardless of price point seem to have that first year shakeout period. Ours was very minimal.
There are a lot of nice features to that coach so have a great time with whatever you choose.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:37 AM   #5
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaearhart View Post
I'd request a engine and generator oil and fuel filter change, all new batteries. As per Mfg warranty requirements change every xxxx number of miles , hours or months..
Agreed on the batteries. Up north here the dealers let all batteries die over the winter. You have no idea how long they were dead, low on water, whatever. DO NOT let them give you the line about "We'll test them and if they pass we won't replace them." That statement tells you a lot about your future experiences with that dealer.

Ray
Old 08-26-2019, 05:14 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
UPDATE:

Couldn't come to an agreement so moving on.

Looking at a New 2019 Entegra Coach Anthem.

Thanks everyone - Richard