Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #127

Forest River Owners Club
With a 45’ rig you will find that there are CG’s where you won’t find sites easily.....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2019, 08:39 PM   #128

Looking at this baby tomorrow.. Might be in over my head...

But think how comfortable you will be once you get there. I am 42’ and have never had an issue. I know I can’t fit into state parks so I don’t even try.
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:35 PM   #129

Not all state parks are created equal. Some state parks barely qualify as a county campground. Guess we are lucky in Orygun. We have always been able to fit our 41 ft DP in a site. The problem in Oregon is you have to make reservations 9 months in advance because there just too many rv'ers these days. They haven't built but one new campground in decades. Never had a problem in out of state KOA's. Some KOA's are nice , others not so nice. We like the security of the state parks and KOA's. Would never overnight in a store parking lot unless we never left the rig [Mod Edit].
rdurdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:52 PM   #130

Have a 40 footer with lifting tag, when staying at state or federal campgrounds, sometimes have to book 35 ft sites. So far no problems.
If I had 45 footer with IFS and active turning tag, would probably do the same thing.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:19 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
Have a 40 footer with lifting tag, when staying at state or federal campgrounds, sometimes have to book 35 ft sites. So far no problems.
If I had 45 footer with IFS and active turning tag, would probably do the same thing.
So when you make the reservation, you tell them it is a 35 foot RV, and pull in with no problems?

I was wondering..
I've never had anyone measure our 38' coach, but we fit in to a 36' spot with room to spare.

Just wondering how tight management is about this stuff if you are able to maneuver well enough.
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:55 AM   #132

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
When we checked into a S.P. in Maryland, the lady ask how long we were. I told her 38', she smiled and said "wow, looks longer than that" I told her I have a tape, you want to measure it? She told me, no, it just looks longer!
Then she said, we will give you a site that will be easy for you to back in. This is the site! My 96 Monaco Windsor is 38' bumper to bumper!
Click image for larger version

Name:	13015512_1754329601470698_7621590703636226832_n  SP CG in MD.!.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	231819

Click image for larger version

Name:	13092131_1754329701470688_6340625139017820221_n  SP CG in MD.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	231820

A 45' MH would have fit in this site easy!
I only saw a couple of sites in the whole park that would have been tough to get into, but we could have fit in any of them!

Rail!
Old 01-13-2019, 07:02 AM   #133

My $0.02 worth.... Having owned 2 diesel pusher motorhomes ('03 coachman '38 and now Berkshire '14 40ft), I have learned one solid thing. Buy the Newest coach you can afford. It will give you ? less problems, better fuel economy and things will wear out slower. My wife is much happier in the "newer" rig. Not being horribly handy, I got a bumper to bumper extended after market warranty as well. Piece of mind for sure. Good luck with your venture...
Kono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:04 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregkono View Post
...Buy the Newest coach you can afford. It will give you ? less problems, better fuel economy and things will wear out slower...
I thought the same thing too, but the more I talk to people, the more they challenge my mindset.

And truth be told, if I am going to spend $200k, I would rather have a 12 year old bus that started out at $750k than a 3 year old coach that started at $350k

Even though some of the tech might be dated on the bus, they build quality, safety and design seem to make up for it.
I can replace some of the tech.. Cannot build a better chassis or cage
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:23 AM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner View Post
I thought the same thing too, but the more I talk to people, the more they challenge my mindset.

And truth be told, if I am going to spend $200k, I would rather have a 12 year old bus that started out at $750k than a 3 year old coach that started at $350k

Even though some of the tech might be dated on the bus, they build quality, safety and design seem to make up for it.
Exactly
Old 01-13-2019, 09:27 AM   #136

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah View Post
But think how comfortable you will be once you get there. I am 42’ and have never had an issue. I know I can’t fit into state parks so I don’t even try.
Check with the parks. We have fit in state parks and older campgrounds at 43'. Many times the selection may be limited but the newer coaches with 55 - 60 degree cuts and with shorter wheelbases with the tag dumped will turn as well as a 40'.

We camped in Kentucky. There was lots of room. Could have left the trailer attached if we had taken it.

IMO buy the coach with the floor plan that best fits your needs and wants. I believe more change units because of floor plan than chassis.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:12 AM   #137
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner View Post

Me too!!
Driving an older, Prevost, Newell, or BB, as an example, is a lot different than the newer lower priced coaches, if you can afford the ownership of the older coaches.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
With opposing slides..be careful...
VIEW THE COACH INTERIOR WITH ALL SLIDES RETRACTED FIRST!
You do want to be able to traverse the coach with all slides retracted and coach features (fridg/sink/dinette/cooktop/toilet & shower/bedroom still be fully usable..For those times when you cannot extend the slides......
As an antidote...
Watched a Really nice looking Class A @ WallyWorld.. After shopping, they had to extend the slides in order to load everything they bought into the coach...Talked with him later and He said that they couldn't carry their groceries past the furniture in the living room without walking on the sofa's...and couldn't open the fridge or some of the cupboards to store stuff... and the bathroom door didn't open wide enough either...

Not to beat a dead horse, but I’m amazed how coaches like this could even be signed off and built by the manufacture

I guess this example would be considered a bad “Floor Plan” Lol
Russ Potteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:29 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Me too!!
Driving an older, Prevost, Newell, or BB, as an example, is a lot different than the newer lower priced coaches, if you can afford the ownership of the older coaches.
X3,

As long as the overall condition is good, I’d much rather deal with updates of a previous pre emissions million dollar coach ( in today’s dollars ) then buying a rapidly depreciating new million dollar coach.

My .02

Consenting opinions welcome
Russ Potteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:43 AM   #140
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Potteng View Post
X3,

As long as the overall condition is good, I’d much rather deal with updates of a previous pre emissions million dollar coach ( in today’s dollars ) then buying a rapidly depreciating new million dollar coach.

My .02

Consenting opinions welcome
I have owned some older high end coaches like a 2008 Newell, a 2008 CC Affinity. After those ownerships, I looked at a 20013 Cornerstone with newer electronics, and looks. Needelss to say the latter did not compare in its build quality to the older high end coaches. No doubt Cotrnerstone is a well built and highly respected coach too.