RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2019, 09:19 PM   #1

Looking at this baby tomorrow.. Might be in over my head...

Up until recently I've been looking at 36-38' coaches with tag axles.
There are not many short tags out there, but they do exist.

Lots of members on this board are urging me to check out some of the longer ones. 42+

So I have been.
And this one is just 8 mile from home:
2006 Blue Bird WANDERLODGE 450LXI

I can swing the price, but man.. I know nothing about this Blue Bird.
Until now I've done all of my research on CC and HR.

It seems to have just about everything I need, plus a lot more, but is it priced right?
Many of the other wanderlodge 450LXI coaches are prices lower but not nearly as clean or loaded (from what I can tell).

So, when I show up tomorrow, what exactly should I look for?
What questions be asking?

Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2019, 09:33 PM   #2

Make sure it includes a chaffuer......nice looking luxury rig...

Old 01-02-2019, 09:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner View Post

Lots of members on this board are urging me to check out some of the longer ones. 42+

So I have been.

It seems to have just about everything I need, plus a lot more, but is it priced right?
Many of the other wanderlodge 450LXI coaches are prices lower but not nearly as clean or loaded (from what I can tell).

Just because you're being advised to look at longer coaches, doesn't mean you need to BUY ONE. Is this TRULY what you and the CEO really want? You started out looking at shorter ones. Did you find any you liked? Did you drive any shorter ones? I'm saying don't buy this one. But, you may be being influenced into a decision that it's possible you may later regret, for any number of reasons. Just make sure that you're looking at every aspect of the bigger coach, driving it, parking it, backing it, putting it in RV spaces, parking it at home (or where ever it's stored at) and more. And, don't forget, if you're gonna tow a toad, add that to the total length. Amtrak , here we come!
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:46 PM   #4

Quote:

So I have been.

Nice coach, probably okay, but some Wanderlodges were pushing axle and tire weight maximums. Might be worth getting it weighted and checking. Had an 83, even then built like a 747 combined with a M1 tank. Not for the faint of heart if you need electrical work.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:05 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Two Points of Commentary...
#1 - THAT is a "bitching cool bus"!
#2 - If it were me, I couldn't do it without meeting the previous owners and have them go through the bus before finalizing.
Arkie_ENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:11 PM   #6

Yikes, I could sure push a lot of wrong buttons on that dash. I think I saw a ejection seat button, an oil slick button, and the rocket launcher button.

Looks like something James Bond would drive.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:30 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:

So I have been.

I think you need to look at all that is out there, so you can make a "good for you and your DW" decision! I think you are on the right track, but a few things on this one would bother me, the step up for the dinette, and the back closet, would not be good for me, clutz, tripping with a plate of food! I would think that a flat floor throughout the whole coach would be on my "have to have" list!
Also, the ad does not say anything about the motor? And what about Aqua Hot? (unlimited hot water) I think that would be on my list when looking at a coach in this price range! Having heated floors would be a "must have"!
Also, don't limit your search to CC and HR, the others I would look at are Monaco, Foretravel, Newel, Prevost conversions, Featherlite conversions! In this price range that the BB is in, there are a lot out there!
The one other thing I noticed right off, having the tank drains in the middle of a long wheel base coach, that close to the ground? All I can see is going over a RR crossing, hearing a crunching sound?
It may be just the angle of the pic's, don't know?
Bottom line is, this has to suit you, not me! Enjoy the hunt! Remember, there are no dumb questions! Rail!
Old 01-03-2019, 01:09 AM   #8

This has been on my lust list. Will be curious to hear your feedback
Old 01-03-2019, 05:41 AM   #9

WOW what a gorgeous rig! If you want it i would check every major system and ask if they have oil analysis reports from motor trans and jenny. If its in the shape it looks like its in the price seems pretty good to me but id bargain anyway. See if you can find out how long its been for sale, if its been awhile they may be willing to negotiate. Let us know how it works out!
Jon_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:56 AM   #10

Very Nice. If you have any questions about it, Parliament Motor Coach Corp in Clearwater has data on all the BB Wanderlodge coaches.... they bought the intellectual property when Wanderlodge folded. I stopped there a couple times and the staff was very helpful answering questions... they have teh build sheets,schematics,etc. for all the coaches.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:03 AM   #11

Blue Bird is quality. I have had one and would love to buy another. The support for them is community based and wonderful (the have a forum like IRV2).

One thing to realize - this is a true bus chassis. My current Monaco is a frame with a bunch of wood on top of it. If I were to roll the coach, there would likely be nothing left. In a BlueBird you will still have a complete cage.

That is a beautiful bus! Good luck with your decision
Paul L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:09 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I love this coach.. I’ve been looking at it for months.. So it has been for sale for a while. Since we are snowbirds we were in Co and couldn’t get to AZ to really look at it before Nov.. It’s still for sale. I would wonder why... I didn’t like the dining room table and chairs being raised, not sure why that was like that.. Anyway.. I hope you look at it and let us all know what you think.. Good luck.
Paints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:14 AM   #13
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Quote:
I love the Blue Bird WANDERLODGE coaches. Even the older ones. They are built like Sherman Tanks. IMO, they are a solid coach for sure. Since this is a newer one, so a lot of the electrical issues that some of the older ones may have experienced is probably not a concern. But...with all the bells and whistles this baby has, it's just more stuff that can go wrong IMO. But that's just me. I'm a "keep it simple stupid" kinda guy. But I do like going here and looking from time to time.
https://www.buybyebluebird.com

[mod edit]

Don't get enamored by all the inside bling because when this is all said and done, you're going to have a quarter of a million bucks in this thing. You want to really visually check and test everything you can because, after this walk through, you'll have to decide—if in your opinion is this is what your really want—everything appears to be ok and now your willing to put down a deposit and proceed to order a several hundred dollar professional inspection with lab work on all the fluids.

I would ask are their any maintenance records. If so verify the work by actually looking. Does this coach have all the manuals for onboard systems. Have them move all the slides in and out. Look under the coach and in the engine bay and see if you can see any signs of leaks anywhere and condition of all rubber. Check the dates of the tires. If they are close to needing replacement, that's going to be a pretty piece of change right after you drive this home. Open all the bays and look carefully at everything, look for any water leaks, check the batteries in the batt bay, and the inside charging and control panel, look at all the outside fabrics and see if they are in good shape, test all the awnings. All rubber on this coach is now is 12 years old so look at all that. Ask if you'd be able to talk to the owner after purchase to get a full explanation of how everything works, and to understand the little quirks of this particular coach. All coaches have them. Could save you a lot of headaches down the road.

And all that goes well and you're really ready to move forward, I'd ask can we go for a ride so you can experience and test that too.

Also call and see what the insurance will run you on this baby—and if you'll be FTing in it—be sure to tell them that. Also, don't know what state you live in, but check and see if any annual taxes will apply to you on this luxury item. Some states you'll get financially murdered in that area. EVERY YEAR.

To big and to expensive to buy and maintain for us, but a beautiful full body paint coach indeed. Gorgeous from the outside. May be a great find. Make sure all the foundational thing are solid.

Good luck.
TEAM Martin & Joanie, FTers, RVM#181
2012 WGO Vista 35F, 5 ST, Toyo M122's/duallys, Centramatics (all around), TPMS, ScanGuage II, Safe T Plus, SS Rear Trac Bar, CHF (F/R), Koni FSD's, 2017 FORD Fiesta Toad, Escapees
Making Traveling, FTing and Our Motorhome "GREAT AGAIN".
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:29 AM   #14

You listened to what members said?
That thing is ginormous!
To each their own
Yes it's beautiful. Practical wouldn't be a word to describe any of it.
It's now 13 years old and moved down the hwy quite a bit.
I hope you've been around them before or get a professional to look it over if you're serious.

Al Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote