RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2018, 08:19 PM   #1

Looking at this tomorrow*advice*

Ive been looking at this coach online all week and riding down to see it tomorrow
its my first MH above $10k range
I feel pretty out of my league and have googled a few things
It seems four winds my be a lower line brand

any helpful pointers before I get took to the cleaners tomorrow?

Im going to aim for $39k price

2007 Thor Windsport 32R

JRUSH311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2018, 08:30 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Be sure it has 2 house AC units, looking at pictures I could only be sure of one. One just won't get it done.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:37 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It'S way over priced! IMHO...

Mike
Old 03-13-2018, 08:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Be sure it has 2 house AC units, looking at pictures I could only be sure of one. One just won't get it done.
Agree^^.

Looking at the third to last photo--the one with the stainless sink in the foreground--there appears to be an AC return vent above the foot of the bed, as seen just beyond the air vent in the hall/passage way.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:50 PM   #5

Check date code on tires. If 7years or more old it needs new. 2 to $4000. Check all appliances, ac,heat, fridge for operation. Check date on batteries. Check ceiling for leaks!
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:53 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
I think you could find something better at the price point you are looking at.

The unit being an '07, you will probably be looking at new tires age wise. With only 20K on it, the unit hasn't been used at all and probably the batteries will need replacing from lack of use
Old 03-13-2018, 09:15 PM   #7

Thanks

Thank you so much for the replies I feel I am a bit out of my league and a little over my head in this purchasing process I’ve been looking for a while this dealer is starting to give me a bad feeling he keeps wanting a $5000 deposit before I even drive down there and look at it and today he told me on the phone it wouldn’t start and he was going to put a new battery in it.

I’ve been searching craigslist eBay and RV trader my budget is from 30 to 50,000 I was hoping for something around 32 to 34 foot
Old 03-13-2018, 09:22 PM   #8

I think I saw two different thermostats....
Old 03-13-2018, 09:54 PM   #9
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Location: Livingston, TX - This is our legal domicile/home base as we are FTers and travel around the country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfire1339 View Post
It'S way over priced! IMHO...
Mike
I agree. To much.....$$$$$$$$$$

And whoever took those pictures—IMO is really saying, "we really don't give a crap about showing our products very well".

Just by reading your post and trying to weigh (understand and gauge) where you're at with buying an RV right now, I just get the feeling OR you just seem to be still in the early stages of understanding what's out there and not knowing exactly how to proceed or what to look for. You don't seem sure of yourself or confident in knowing what to look for. A salesman is going to pick up on that right away and I'm afraid you might end up being a victim with buyers remorse buying any RV right now.

Like that DP you found on CL...the owner may indeed be ready to deal BUT—to me—you just don't come across as someone that could go and look at that DP and know whether it's a good deal or not. There's a lot of things to check out on these rigs and you might just end up with a money pit if you're not somewhat careful. AND I might add, get it professionally inspected FIRST.

I'm NOT saying this in a condescending or judgmental way, just an observation after reading your post & comments.

So when you say, "any helpful pointers before I get took to the cleaners tomorrow?

Here's my helpful pointer........I say wait, until you know more about everything in general. What to look for. How to "pick through the bones to get to the meat" so to speak.

You've got to get over this part before you buy"I feel I am a bit out of my league and a little over my head in this purchasing process"

You don't have to get taken to cleaners tomorrow. Take pause, learn, read, watch YT video's, you're not in a hurry.......are you?
marjoa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepowells View Post
i think i saw two different thermostats....
��������
Old 03-13-2018, 10:05 PM   #11

It looks nice, Im sure it was way overpriced new.

I owned a v10 in an f-250 and loved the power but it got 6mpg towing a tool trailer, these engines are great and easily to repair.

I would assume the suspension is leaf springs and not air bags.

The kitchen has no prep area for cooking so you will mostly be grilling outside.

Clime the ladder and inspect the roof when they are not looking. Look for patches, wrinkles and sloppy caulking.

Check every square foot of the siding for wavy delamination and ceiling and wall leaks inside.

Dont think the tires are safe even if the tread is great, check for sidewall cracking and the date codes get more dangerous between 6-10 years.

Drive it, shift through all the gears a lot, listen for strange noises , vibrations, squeaks and rattles.

Check all the pricing comparisons on Kelley Blue book.

If you can look down in the oil fill cap hole with a bright flashlight for burnt oil buildup.

Let it run and drive for a long time to check for leaks or overheating.

You will probably not want a generator smaller than 5000watt.

Check for steering drift or brake pulling.

You will want two a/c units but beings one is up front it probably has two already.

Run the slides in and out and inspect slide toppers are working and not ripped.

Open awning and inspect.

Test cockpit a/c, heat and defroster.

I would test all holding tanks and water heater if they will let you or get a warranty.

Batteries are almost always bad in used MHs.

Check all fluids for proper levels and strange colors or consistencies.

Test a/c with generator and run furnace or heat pumps.

You can tow with this but it will be a pig on the hills.

The older v-10s were known for bad coil packs and spitting plugs out of the heads, I think this year is improved.

The rear window I think is nice for those morning views.

Gas coaches have less problems with less Maintainance costs but also way less in options and amenities.

Good luck

Rick
Old 03-13-2018, 10:19 PM   #12

Absolutely, positively do not be afraid to walk away.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:27 PM   #13

Foretravel Owners Club
Rentals normally are the cheapest that they can build, , and rental companies put as little maintenance as possible into them..
basically rent 'em and wholesale 'em...

Other than no proof on being equipped with 2 A/C's,..Take Someone who is well versed in this brand of RV with you..2 sets of eyes are better than one..
And go over it with a fine toothed comb...note tires,batteries,any loose or missing parts and pieces, wear of interior,only one A/C?? hey that knocks 10k off..tires & shocks? that's another 4k...batteries (house and chassis) yup that's another grand....Cannot keep in your lane?? there's another grand for alignment,sway bars,safe-T- Steer and CHF....

I would offer 22 to 25k...CASH and not negotiate.....in other words take it or 'bye!
For your budget you might even find an older Monaco/Alpine/Beaver/CC.. DP non-slide within rock throwing range...That will have air ride ,2 (or 3) A/C's....And a much higher quality of components and build...
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:42 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Keep looking they are out there agree with p.p you could probably do better. I like private owner units. They can tell you about the unit..the sales guy may have never been in the unit he is trying to sell
Floor plan should also be of interest. Good luck!
Tried searchtempest? Ebay?
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Rentals normally are the cheapest that they can build, , and rental companies put as little maintenance as possible into them..
basically rent 'em and wholesale 'em...

Other than no proof on being equipped with 2 A/C's,..Take Someone who is well versed in this brand of RV with you..2 sets of eyes are better than one..
Andgo over it with a fine toothed comb...note tires,batteries,any loose or missing parts and pieces, wear of interior,only one A/C?? hey that knocks 10k off..tires? thats another 4k...

I would offer 22 to 25k...CASH and not negotiate.....in other words take it or 'bye!
For your budget you might even find an older Monaco/Alpine/Beaver/CC.. DP non-slide within rock throwing range...That will have air ride ,2 (or 3) A/C's....And a much higher quality of components and build...

ZOOKER is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice