Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2011, 09:56 AM   #1

looking for 12v AGM bats

My suspiscions were correct, I am needing 4 12volt AGM batterys for my coach. Any suggestions on brand? My coach was built with this setup and has worked well so I see no need to change to 4 six volt batterys.Thanks
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #2

www.lifelinebatteries.com
This summer I bought five 12v 8D size(162 Lbs ea) from a distributor in Bastrop, TX. They were about $650ea
Old 12-02-2011, 04:11 PM   #3

Look into Lifelines. I've had 4 six volts that I bought in 08 and are still going strong. The Lifeline WEB site will give you a ton of info on their proper care and feeding.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #4

If you know your group size shop around you may save a lot.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IF you are going to go AGM. the cadillac of AGM's is Lifeline. they are the best.

MK and DEKA are also good, but Lifeline is supposed to be better.

My question though is why AGM's.. I bought two AGM's (MK) when this rig was about 18 months old, I hooked them to my inverter which means they had low voltage cut off on 'em so I never truly ran them down all the way.

My six volt Golf Car Batteries (Interstate U-2200 flooded wet cells) came new with the coach and HAVE been run down to the point where I could not start the generator with them a few times.. Or lower.

A Flooded wet cell type OLDER than the RV (in fact two such) are also in parallel with the MK AGM's.. The inverter was programmed to charge the AGMs.

The oldest flooded wet went last winter. Shorted cell but AFTER being removed in hopes I could re-condition it some.. Alas, i could not.
The two AGM's this fall, when Under load test I could only draw about 1 amp No short.. One of them has been replaced and the other is off line.

the other 12 volt Flooded type is still there, about half capacity per the load test but still there, The six volt pair is still exceeding the capacity of my load tester (So they still test good)

I would not buy another AGM less there is a mounting/access issue.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:51 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
There is nothing wrong with Flooded wet cells, except the care. They need tender loving care. Keeping then wet on the inside and dry on the outside is a must do task. Based on cost I really question the necessity of upgrading to AGM's, unless as wa8yxm mentions, there is a mounting issue.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:54 AM   #7

I appreciate the feedback, I'm not upgrading to AGM but replacing them. The ones I have now came in my 05 coach new. One is cooked and I'm just going back with AGM. These have served me well and I'm sure that technology has improved. The battery compartment looks fresh and new as it was when it was built. I have had flooded Bats in previous coaches and they did fine but was a pain compared to AGMs.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:54 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Another Lifeline fan here. Best AGMs you can get IMHO
Old 12-03-2011, 06:57 AM   #9

I'm a Lifeline dealer. Non stocking. I've been providing them to sailors for years. If you're in my area I'd be glad to help you out. For cost!
Geezer80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
LifeLines are the way to go. After having them for the last 8 years with zero problems I can't complain. They still pass a load test with flying colors.

Having the correct type of charger might have something to do with it.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:33 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I replaced my Interstate gasserss with Lifelines two years. End of battery maintaince problems. Check their website as shown above. Johnnyringo where were you when I bought mine?
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:56 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
LifeLines are the way to go. After having them for the last 8 years with zero problems I can't complain. They still pass a load test with flying colors.

Having the correct type of charger might have something to do with it.
We've had flooded wet cells (Interstate U-2200's) in the MH since we bought it June 26th 2002. They're still working fine and the battery box looks great. I did add 4 oz of mineral oil to each cell to cut down/eliminate offgassing. I've pulled them down to 10.75 volts many times also.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:41 AM   #13

johnnyringo, that's a good offer and I thankyou. We are in NC now at home but we are leaving on jan10th headed to Port St. Lucie. Don't know if I can take the smell that long on the ride.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:07 AM   #14

Lifelines are top of the line-each hand made I understand- but Deka, made by East Penn, or one of their other brands, made in PA, are a far better deal; about 1/2 the cost-only go agm, no maint and no gassing worries, your frame or battery box, if metal, will never rust because of battery gas.

http://www.dekabatteries.com/
rough road is offline   Reply With Quote