Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2015, 10:50 AM   #29

I put the Roadmaster RM170AT (by Cooper) on my 1999 Fleetwood about 12000 miles ago. Haven't had any trouble with them. I would do it again.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2015, 07:03 PM   #30

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here an update to my earlier post.

I just drove 1500 miles on the RoadX tires with no problems. They seem to this newbie fairly quite and hold well to the road.

Here the eBay site where I got mine:

RoadX RH520 Tire(s) 245/70R19.5 LRG 133K 24570195 245/70-19.5 70R R19.5

(I'm not affiliated with this seller, just trying to pass on a good find)

The guy seems to have several sizes for RV's. When I drive out to the west coast in the spring, I'll post another follow up.

US Army veteran, USAF disabled veteran, (yes, I served in both branches).
zogthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:27 PM   #31

I had a 6yr old Goodyear G570 steer tire blow out on me last week at 65mph. I was towed to a TA service station and they fitted 2 Bridgestone R250F on my steer tires because it was all they had available at 8.00pm.Apparently 19.5's are not stocked everywhere. So now I want to stay the same all round so am looking for 4 more for the rears. They don't look as good as the GY but I'll get used to that..
Old 11-02-2015, 07:30 PM   #32

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancslad View Post
I had a 6yr old Goodyear G570 steer tire blow out on me last week at 65mph.
OUCH! Which tire blew?

Old 11-03-2015, 05:57 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by zogthegreat View Post
OUCH! Which tire blew?
He said steer tire. My questions would be: Any damage? Was there a problem with control just after the blowout? Was it a road hazard like a pothole?

So I got my Hancooks installed last week and I just put 1300 miles on them getting to FL. No complaints. Seem to ride as well as the previous GY's. Thanks to everyone for your input!!!
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:50 AM   #34

Commercial Member

One thing few seem to be concerned about other than low initial purchase cost is the availability of support and service.
You might get a real low price on a "Mud-Wumper 3" from Billy-Jo-Bob's Cheap Tire Emporium and Bait Shop but with only a single outlet and no service truck it will be impossible to get any warranty or other service unless you go to Billy's bait shop.

If you get a non-repairable cut or puncture, how long will it take to get a replacement tire?
Can you buy Road Hazard coverage so that even if you have a failure due to pothole, your tire replacement is pro-rated based on tread wear?
Is there any technical support if you have a question on load & inflation?

If low purchase price is the only concern them maybe some need to consider some used tires

You have to remember there is no such thing as a "fail-proof" tire and many times failures have nothing to do with a tire's design or manufacturing as leaky valves are the cause of many failures as with this tire.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:16 AM   #35

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
One thing few seem to be concerned about other than low initial purchase cost is the availability of support and service.
You might get a real low price on a "Mud-Wumper 3" from Billy-Jo-Bob's Cheap Tire Emporium and Bait Shop but with only a single outlet and no service truck it will be impossible to get any warranty or other service unless you go to Billy's bait shop.

If you get a non-repairable cut or puncture, how long will it take to get a replacement tire?
Can you buy Road Hazard coverage so that even if you have a failure due to pothole, your tire replacement is pro-rated based on tread wear?

If low purchase price is the only concern them maybe some need to consider some used tires

You have to remember there is no such thing as a "fail-proof" tire and many times failures have nothing to do with a tire's design or manufacturing as leaky valves are the cause of many failures as with this tire.
I have a lingering question and would like to know if there is such a tire with a DOT number on the side wall, that does not meet DOT standards and/or will not perform as advertised or reasonably hold up with normal use. Also are tires like the great Michelin brand (depending on who you talk to), all that superior and in what way are they better engineered for all that extra money. Would I be correct in saying that most of the extra money goes to paying for the name?
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:15 PM   #36

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I went with the least expensive tires I could find for the following reasons;

1. I'm poor! I only have my VA disability to live on, so I have to be very price aware.

2. It has been my personnel experience that tire manufacturers/dealers do not honor their so called "road hazard warranties". I have had this experience with the following tire companies/tires:

Goodyear Eagle GS, (I never liked how they handled on wet roads, but a good tire)
Michelin X-Ice, (great tire for icy conditions though)
Pirelli Winter Carving Edge, (my most recent road hazard damage was a 4" slice in the side wall from a sidewalk manhole casing. At $150.00 a tire, that hurt! However these are also great winter tires)

Since I have received at best minimal support from the big name companies, I purchase my tires with the attitude that I will be personally responsible for service and support. I then set my expectations accordingly! !

Quote:
The guy I bought my tires on eBay from shipped them the same day, I had them 2 days later. No "not in stock" or "back order" nonsense.

Quote:
Can you buy Road Hazard coverage so that even if you have a failure due to pothole, your tire replacement is pro-rated based on tread wear
Once again, the dealers always seem to find that the tread wear, (based on their little gauge), is more than the actual mileage on the tire. Then, of course, they try to "upsale" you to a "better" tire.

Quote:
I will unquestionably trust the experience of the forum members before I trust someone at a tire shop when it comes to load and inflation. I may be a newbie at RVing, but it seemed to me that I had more knowledge than the guys at the tire shop that installed my new tires!

Old 11-08-2015, 05:46 PM   #37

3 pages and hardly a mention of Michelin. I have XZE on mine now. Very happy with them.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:43 PM   #38

About the GY bowout. 65 mph on interstate 64. No road surface problem--- the left tire blew out the inside wall--- I could put my fist thru the hole. Tire was 6yrs and 1 week from the DOT date. MH stayed in the lane until I could steer to the shoulder-- no damage to the MH and the tire stayed on the rim.
At TA petro I put both new tires on the front---I wasn't about to repeat the process 50 miles down the road. I am gunshy of the 4 Goodyear rears so am looking for replacements and would like a matched set with the fronts.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:44 PM   #39

I put Toyos on after rear inside replacement tire kelly blew thru tread Prior tire not repairable Flat. Toyos have run well for Me 107,000 On a 04 Itasca Sunrise.
The 4 rears are 6 years old with good tread All tires are bal as both set were on front
ROSCO99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:03 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
3 pages and hardly a mention of Michelin. I have XZE on mine now. Very happy with them.
I think there has been enough neg feedback on Michelins over various forums that I don't think they are worth the premium charged ..chief complaint it seems is cracking..

....and I live near a Michelin plant..
Old 11-09-2015, 08:30 AM   #41

Tire Dealer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodK View Post
When I got my Hankook AH11s the tire shop was just about to put a tire order in. I had to wait almost 2 weeks but needless to say I received very fresh tires as per the date code. Good luck with your search.
Could you give me a address and phone # of your tire dealer?
I can't find anyone who has AH11's in stock.
moon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:55 AM   #42

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
I have a lingering question and would like to know if there is such a tire with a DOT number on the side wall, that does not meet DOT standards and/or will not perform as advertised or reasonably hold up with normal use. Also are tires like the great Michelin brand (depending on who you talk to), all that superior and in what way are they better engineered for all that extra money. Would I be correct in saying that most of the extra money goes to paying for the name?
Yes tires have been made that do not actually meet the requirements of DOT. When discovered there is a recall.

RE Michelin question. I have seen features in Michelin tires that are different than seen in some other tires but the same can be said for Goodyear as well as Bridgestone or Firestone or Continental. BUT different is not in itself does not always mean better. Yes Michelin certainly has worked hard over the years to create a mystique around its brand. Some people that high price means better quality but I do not think that is always the case.

Tags
tires