Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2015, 12:40 PM   #1

Suggestions on purchase of 10 yr. old DP for snowbirding.

We are looking to purchase a used DP early next year. My wife and I would like to snowbird for a few months each winter. We are retired and live in SE Alaska, so the MH would be used no more than 3 months of the year. Why would we ever want to leave Alaska in the summer?

Our background in RVs is certainly not extensive, but not exactly newbies either. We full timed in our 40 foot Teton fiver the last 5 years of work down south. We've had a Truck Camper for the last few years, and put over 30,000 miles on it. Typically traveling south of I-10 from CA to FL in the winter. Our budget is in the 50-100K range.

At this point, although I could be persuaded otherwise, I lean toward a Monaco/HR product, and exclude ALFA. The ALFA feeling has to do with their 5th wheel product from years back, but we would never buy anything with the ALFA name on it. I also want to try, if at all possible, to buy directly from the owner.

The market in 10 year old Dps looks like a buyer's market right now. I ask for your help in choosing one. Thank you for the help, and Merry Christmas.
  1. First Question
I have read about the suspension R4 vs. RR4, and I see that the R4 sellers typically discount their coaches, and make a point of stating the suspension has been updated, replaced, upgraded, etc; It seems to me the price between one of the 8 air bag coaches and the 4 baggers is around 10-15K in the 2005-6 range. What are your feelings on whether to pay the premium for the 8 bagger?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
When we got ready to buy a MH in 2012 I didn't have a clue what to look for! I just got really lucky that what we ended up with is perfect for our needs.

The 2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT is on the 8-bag Roadmaster chassis (which didn't have the trailing arm problem) with all-steel welded "box" for maximum strength. It uses the Cummins ISC350 engine and Allison 3000 transmission, both known for outstanding reliability! It has air leveling, no hydraulic jacks, and drives and handles like a dream! The 40' gives us plenty of room without the tag axle and extra tires to buy. The chairs are on one side of the living room and a couch with hide-a-way bed on the opposite side. I got rid of the TV over the dash and installed a 40" flat screen on a motorized remote controlled lift behind the couch. Sliding pocket doors separate the bathroom from the living room, and the bathroom from the bedroom. The shower and main lavatory area are together, with another lavatory area in the toilet room with a privacy door. It has a large closet across the back of the bedroom, with combo washer/dryer in a cabinet with doors beside the closet. It has three slideouts, where some of the other 40' Monaco models only have two.

I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea that we could not be happier with our "over 10 year old" coach! You will find this model in the $60k to $75k range.

Let me know if there's anything else I can tell you!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhailey View Post
We are looking to purchase a used DP early next year. My wife and I would like to snowbird for a few months each winter. We are retired and live in SE Alaska, so the MH would be used no more than 3 months of the year. Why would we ever want to leave Alaska in the summer?

Our background in RVs is certainly not extensive, but not exactly newbies either. We full timed in our 40 foot Teton fiver the last 5 years of work down south. We've had a Truck Camper for the last few years, and put over 30,000 miles on it. Typically traveling south of I-10 from CA to FL in the winter. Our budget is in the 50-100K range.

At this point, although I could be persuaded otherwise, I lean toward a Monaco/HR product, and exclude ALFA. The ALFA feeling has to do with their 5th wheel product from years back, but we would never buy anything with the ALFA name on it. I also want to try, if at all possible, to buy directly from the owner.

The market in 10 year old Dps looks like a buyer's market right now. I ask for your help in choosing one. Thank you for the help, and Merry Christmas.

First Question

I have read about the suspension R4 vs. RR4, and I see that the R4 sellers typically discount their coaches, and make a point of stating the suspension has been updated, replaced, upgraded, etc; It seems to me the price between one of the 8 air bag coaches and the 4 baggers is around 10-15K in the 2005-6 range. What are your feelings on whether to pay the premium for the 8 bagger?

PS I posted this in General Discussion by mistake. It should be here I think!

In your price range, I would be looking for an '03-'05 Monaco Dynasty. S Series semi monocoque chassis is very strong. Lots of bang for the buck. Here is a brochure:

http://www.monacocoach.com//library/...03_Dynasty.pdf
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 02:02 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Alberta isn't that far away from you, I would have a serious look for a used one in that market. You would get a 35% premium on your dollar and with the oil sands economy collapsing, they can't give them away....
Motorhomes | Buy or Sell Used or New RVs, Campers & Trailers in Alberta | Kijiji Classifieds

I read in today's paper the repo men are so busy, they can't keep up with the lenders requests. Sad, but true.
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:43 PM   #5

I am 6'6". At least I was! I believe our search is for 2005 and later, as that seems to be the year they raised the ceiling height.

Thanks
Old 12-23-2015, 04:55 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I am 6'6". At least I was! I believe our search is for 2005 and later, as that seems to be the year they raised the ceiling height.

Thanks

Yep, that would be a consideration! Our coach is 6'6" to the ceiling, and things like the A/C grilles hang down about 2" below that!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 04:55 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How are you planning on paying for it? Ten years old is typically the magic cut off time to be able to get financing.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 06:52 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I would stay away from the 4 bag.
Monaco is a great coach.
We looked at financing our 01 Windsor when we bought it 2 years ago.
No problem. Didn't do it, but sure had no issues with being approved.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
I would stay away from the 4 bag.
Monaco is a great coach.
So do the 4 bag Roadmasters (even after being updated) not equal the ride of the 4 bag Freightliner?

In answer to financing? Maybe it has to do with Credit score. I am using USAA as my source for loan ( NADA) values. I'm not sure if I will finance all, part, or none.

It looks to me that used coaches from an individual right now are selling for somewhere between Trade In and Low retail. Certainly there are exceptions to those rules, but nationally that seems to be the trend. I would guess it is simply the market.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:09 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
So do the 4 bag Roadmasters (even after being updated) not equal the ride of the 4 bag Freightliner?

In answer to financing? Maybe it has to do with Credit score. I am using USAA as my source for loan ( NADA) values. I'm not sure if I will finance all, part, or none.

It looks to me that used coaches from an individual right now are selling for somewhere between Trade In and Low retail. Certainly there are exceptions to those rules, but nationally that seems to be the trend. I would guess it is simply the market.
I can't answer that one.
All I know for sure is the 8 or 10 bag roadmaster chassis Monaco used is legendary as far as ride and handling.
It is the only 40' class a I have ever owned.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:03 AM   #11

I would recommend that you consider the Newmar product line with the Spartan chassis and Cummins ISL engine. We bought our 10 year old 2004 Newmar DSDP with 30K miles for $80K. Drives and looks like a new one with very high quality interior/exterior construction.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:19 AM   #12

Country Coach would also be worth a look in addition to what was mentioned above, especially since Winnebago has taken them over and seems to be supportive of providing service for them in OR. Foretravel too, but might push the budget depending on floorplan. I'm sure someone will follow up with Tiffen.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:44 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
After owning our 2002 Monacao Windsor 39 PKD for 6 years I would not hesitate to buy another. The 2005-2007 models years seems to be a sweet spot for the quality, amenities, and pre DEF systems. If you price break is $100K you may not be able to find a 2007 model but I'm sure you could find a 2005.

I would look for a at least a 40' Dynasty, it will have a tag axle which will improve the ride and also provide for substantially more carrying capacity for someone who wants to full time. In most cases you should get 4 slides but there are some models that still only had 3, 2 in the bedroom and 1 large LR slide. I would go the quad slide arrangement for the extra room.

Coming from AK I would recommend making sure you get a Aquahot system as they are better for colder climates.

Here's a good example of a 2005, reasonable mileage and seems to be in very good condition.
2005 Monaco Dynasty Platinum 4 4 Slide King Air Bed Tandem Axle Great Price | eBay

Good Luck and keep us posted.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:55 AM   #14

Thanks for all of the input.

We have found a couple of Diplomats and one Endeavor that fit our specs.

I really didn't get much info on feelings about a Neptune or Cayman that had the improved suspension installed vs. the 8 airbag. It looks like the former is around a $10k difference. Is it really worth the money?

MH

Tags
purchase