Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2016, 01:29 PM   #1

Looking for a Class A under 30K

Hello
My wife and I are in our 40's and are looking for a 30-34ft class A under 30k for a 1 yr round the US trip. We would sell it or use it for short trips after. We have rented a C in the past twice for 10 day trips and are looking to take the plunge.I will be working a few hours a day on my online business and plan to boondock 25% and RV parks 75%. Winnys, Fleetwoods, Thor, etc have come to mind..Any advice on an RV that would suit us?

Thank you!!
kpetrey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2016, 01:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Buy the best (most expensive original MSRP) you can find and buy old enough to fit your budget. You get better construction and probably some amenities too. But condition trumps everything else - an low-end rig is great condition is better than a top-of-the-line junker.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 02:04 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
At that price point you will be looking at 6-10 year old units, Ford 53 Chassis based. Find one with relatively low miles, no evidence of water leaks, good batteries, and good tires. This will minimize your maintenance cost for the year. IMO under $ 30 K is not realistic but some where in the $ 30s is realistic with extensive looking and tough negotiations. You also should have a small reserve fund of a few thousand $s for fixing problems as they arise

With your boondocking plans you should budget at least $ 500 + to make your RV more energy efficient with some solar and LED lighting.

Personally I like Winnebago for these reasons:

- you can get documents and parts for that 6-10 year old vintage if need arises. They can even make a part if they don't have it in their warehouse.

- you get a one piece fiberglass panel roof, easier to inspect for problems and fix if need be, unlike rubber membrane roof RVs.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 02:33 PM   #4

We do about the same ratio in ours - I would look at used units that have:

- 2 air conditioners
- 5k min generator
- AGS AutomaticGeneratorStart
- 4 inverter batteries
- 2000 watt min charger/inverter
- Diesel preferred

...50k miles since Aug'14...
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 02:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
We do about the same ratio in ours - I would look at used units that have:

- 2 air conditioners
- 5k min generator
- AGS AutomaticGeneratorStart
- 4 inverter batteries
- 2000 watt min charger/inverter
- Diesel preferred

...50k miles since Aug'14...
I think he's looking at spending $30k not $300k!
Old 05-28-2016, 03:20 PM   #6

We bought a 2004 Georgetown 35' with two slides and 60,000 miles on it in 2012 for a little less than your budget. We have traveled across the country and up and down the west coast and now have about 75,000 miles on it.

All that to say you should be able to find a gas MH in the 8-10 year old range that would suite your needs and budget. I think we did well because we bought in December. We got a clean Car Fax report on it and have had no problems with the drive train, generator or appliances. We did need new house batteries and have done some cosmetic repairs. We will need new tires soon.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 03:26 PM   #7
epj

There will be some older gas units that meet your criteria. Start looking at about 2006 and back. There are some out there that are still in good condition. I just sold an 02 HR 36' for $36,000 that was in great shape and fully updated. The 32-34' models aren't quite as popular, so better deals will be available. Condition is everything. Beware units that have been in storage for a long time. They may be great, but storage is not kind to Motorhomes. The newer F53 chassis, which most gas rigs are built on, have more power and better transmissions. That said, my 02 ran just fine and had plenty of power. If the coach has the older a analog TVs, that's a problem to address. I think you'll have to get to about 07 models to get digital.
Be sure all the utility systems work, i.e. Water, sewer, electricity, AC and DC, fridge, both electric and gas, hot water again electric and gas, heat and air conditioning. Some of these systems can be very expensive to repair or replace. Check the condition and age of the house batteries. If you are dry camping, this is important. Not least, check out the generator. A class A has a lot of electronics that an ordinary camping trailer or even 5th wheel doesn't have. Very useful, but also very pricey to maintain.
epj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:17 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
X2 on Winnebago.

Had a '94 Adventurer that needed a new front bumper in 2007. They had it on the shelf.

Bought our '00 Suncruiser in June 2014 with 93,000 on it for $27k. Have put over 10,000 miles on it with no problems.
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:24 PM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
Send a message via Yahoo to cbramsey
You can get older units under that price point. One thing you will want to look at is the age of the tires.
2015 Ford F450 Platinum DRW , 2017 Heartland Landmark 365 Charleston Me, Wife, "Canines" Lucy [Chihuahua/Jack Russell Terrier mix] & Fawn [Chihuahua] and “Felines” Pixel & Pollux [Manx], Iris, Pepper & Max [DSH], Mystique [DLH]
cbramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:36 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
They are out there.
I just purchased 2004 Holiday Rambler 34 foot with two slides 29k on it.
Ford F53 V 10.
I looked for about a year and looked at many different brands and floor plans.
Keep looking the right one will show up..
Happy hunting. :cool.
41pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:17 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check PPL Motor Homes. They have a lot of coaches on consignment at decent prices.

Used RVs, Motorhomes for Sale, and Consigned sales - PPL Motor Homes

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:57 AM   #12

#1 issue in my book would be any sign of water intrusion or delamination issues. The "leak has been found and fixed" comments are a waste of breath if the damage is done. About anything else can be repaired economically.

#2 would be big paint issues. Peeling, blistering, cracking can all be very expensive to repair.

Either 1 or 2 can just kill a coach's value. Watch for those, get inspections done on the coach for both the chassis and coach sections, and you should do well.

Best of luck, and good hunting!
Old 05-29-2016, 07:12 AM   #13

We have a 1990 Barth Regency Class A diesel, 32 foot. All aluminum frame and exterior. Have put 30k miles on it the past 4 years with only minor issues. Goggle "Barth RV".
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:38 AM   #14

Check out Craigslist id # 5603136848
pushtrk99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a