Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2012, 08:20 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looking for a doghouse console?

I'm looking to buy or make a console for the Engine doghouse, any help or suggestions will be Welcomed! Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our two previous MH's had consoles. I was happy the Kountry Star has only a tray on top of the doghouse. It makes getting out of the driver's seat a lot easier after a long driving session. After we got this unit, I had a knee replacement, so I don't have full flexure. and the muscles and tendons attached to that, stiffen up really easily. I did modify one on a Bounder, it was not all that difficult. I have also seen new ones for sale at some of the RV furniture websites. To get exactly what you want, you may have to build it, or if not good at woodworking, get a cabinet shop to do it. We have had a couple of things made for the stick house, with the slow construction activity, and telling them we were not in a hurry, the price was not too bad.
pkmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #3

You might consider visiting the woodworking (or similar) department of your local community college or vocational school. Talk to an instructor about setting up an extra credit assignment for his/her students. You then provide the materials with no labor expenses incurred, and one or more students get experience with designing and building a "real world" project. :-)
Old 02-20-2012, 05:29 AM   #4

Hey Danny, here's one on E-bay. I installed one like this in a Coachmen Mirada that I had. I sat the console on the dog house where I wanted it, marked its location, then removed the doghouse and drilled from the bottom side up through the console.

Here's the link eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

That way the screws were hidden, put a couple of large washers under the screws to spread the load. Also if your doghouse is like mine was, slanted down, I cut a couple of slanted risers to bring the console to level and attached them to the console and then the risers to the doghouse.

Hope this helps
Happy Trails
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
The recommendation about the school or college woodworking class is a good one if you have that option. If you dont have this in your area you can get what you want built by most any good cabinet shop and have it custom made to fit your doghouse. Take the doghouse off and carry it with you to the woodshop. Give the folks a pretty good idea of what you want, ie, height, width etc and they can build it to fit the curvature of the doghouse exactly. Then take it home and install. I would install the screws from the bottom as described in an earlier post. Post pictures of what ever you do. My MH came with a piece of crap wooden console and I am going to try to replace it with one like I described at some point. I am fortunate that I have a friend that is a master carpenter and he has said he will do the job for me. When I get it done I will try and post pictures, but I have no timeframe in which to do this.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #6

I had to find something for my Baystar and the only thing I could find was a plastic tray with cup holders sold at Pepboys. Its ment for pickups but even though my doghouse is at a slight angle it works. Its held in place by velcro. I agree that you need something there.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote